What's new

Tobacquisitions August 2016

Have a friend that's a rep for My Father Cigars. Stopped by the shop he was at and picked up a box + a few more sticks for aging as well as a box of breakfast cigars (Connecticut). All their cigars have 2 binders and are already aged a minimum of 1 year (the higher end lines up to 3 years). I don't feel that aging CT wrapped cigars does much for them so they'll be getting smoked starting this weekend. Got to chat with Jose Ortega of My Father as well. Quite a friendly gentleman that really knows his stuff.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 105
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 107
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 108
Have a friend that's a rep for My Father Cigars. Stopped by the shop he was at and picked up a box + a few more sticks for aging as well as a box of breakfast cigars (Connecticut). All their cigars have 2 binders and are already aged a minimum of 1 year (the higher end lines up to 3 years). I don't feel that aging CT wrapped cigars does much for them so they'll be getting smoked starting this weekend. Got to chat with Jose Ortega of My Father as well. Quite a friendly gentleman that really knows his stuff.

Sweet sticks you have there! Enjoy!

Sweet sticks you have there! Enjoy!

I like just about every cigar I have tried in the My Father line. I recently picked up a box of their Flor de las Antillas. It's quickly become one of my go-to's.

A few years back Ortega and Espinosa teamed up to make a cigar called Cubao. The first half inch or so was terrible - it tasted something like old salty beer. As soon as it got past that point it morphed into one the best cigars I ever smoked.

I like just about every cigar I have tried in the My Father line. I recently picked up a box of their Flor de las Antillas. It's quickly become one of my go-to's.

A few years back Ortega and Espinosa teamed up to make a cigar called Cubao. The first half inch or so was terrible - it tasted something like old salty beer. As soon as it got past that point it morphed into one the best cigars I ever smoked.

I smoked a few of those and yes, if you could get past the first 1/2" it was a wonderful smoke. If I recall correctly, the wrapper didn't show much in the way of oils at all but wasn't rustic either, just smooth & very dry looking. I was sketchy about trying it and ended up being quite surprised. Like you, I too like just about every cigar from My Father, along with many under Pepin's name.

I also got some good news from Jose - they will be bringing back the JJ Maduro! I was sad to see it go. As it turns out, the production just dropped dramatically, to the point where only one store carries them so they just said it was d/c'd. The regular JJ is a fine smoke but that maduro is one of the best I've ever had.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Got a P&C order and a SP order in today.

First up, a Peterson Summertime bulldog. It could only be better if it had a block M on it. Prior reading about their green St. Patrick's Day pipes has me a bit concerned about how well the color's going to hold up, so aside from this first smoke, this is going to be a gameday pipe. Once a week on Saturdays in the fall. I chose this particular pipe because the stem is double-stamped, and none of the others were.

$20160824_122220~3.jpg$20160824_122231~2.jpg

Next up was the P&C Customer Appreciation sampler. Nothing special, but the CAO lighter caught my eye, and I wanted to try a Drew Estate blend, and I could use another pouch.

$20160824_122415.jpg

And the extra goodies sealed the deal.

$20160824_122427.jpg

And while I was typing this up, my Mars Cigars order came in.

$20160824_132216.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm in the process of moving, and I placed an order with P&C that shipped before I realized that I hadn't changed my address. So waiting for me at the old address were two tins of 2016 Christmas Cheer and one each of the 2016 and 2017 Holiday Spirit.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Since I received this stuff on Monday and still haven't taken a picture yet, I'll figured I'd just mention that I got some tins of McClelland Matured Virginia No. 24, McClelland Matured Virginia No. 25, McClelland Blackwoods Flake, McClelland Christmas Cheer 2016 & 2017, Rattray's Accountant's Mixture, and a few bulk blending tobaccos from McClelland and C&D.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

1 - SG Best Brown 250g
1 - McC Virginia No. 24 100g
2 - Aylesbury Sir John's Flake
2 - Dan Hamburger Veermaster

Last edited:
Box of Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real Toros, 5 Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve Churchills, 5 Montecristos and My Father 8 cigar sampler, all excellent

Stuff I need to catalog and figure out how to fit into my cellar.. these are July and August purchases, all made after deciding not to buy any more tobacco!! Apparently I suck at not buying tobacco, but hopefully I'll get way better soon!

$image.jpg

500g Salty Dogs
500g Tumblin' Dice
500g Brown Flake Unscented
500g Best Brown No. 2
500g Bright CR Flake
500g St. James Flake
250g SG Navy Flake
11 tins Klondike Gold (I've heard it's good! ;)
5 tins 2016 CC
5 tins 2017 CC
11 tins Fusilier's Ration
3 tins Magnum Opus
4 tins White Knight
2 tins Black House

Stuff I need to catalog and figure out how to fit into my cellar.. these are July and August purchases, all made after deciding not to buy any more tobacco!! Apparently I suck at not buying tobacco, but hopefully I'll get way better soon!

View attachment 684076

500g Salty Dogs
500g Tumblin' Dice
500g Best Brown No. 2
500g Bright CR Flake
500g St. James Flake
250g SG Navy Flake
5 tins 2016 CC
5 tins 2017 CC
3 tins Magnum Opus
4 tins White Knight
2 tins Black House

Damn, dude... you've bought more tobacco after you were done buying tobacco than most guys ever buy. :thumbup:

Now, the really hard part: where to put it?

View attachment 684076

500g Salty Dogs
500g Tumblin' Dice
500g Best Brown No. 2
500g Bright CR Flake
500g St. James Flake
250g SG Navy Flake
5 tins 2016 CC
5 tins 2017 CC
3 tins Magnum Opus
4 tins White Knight
2 tins Black House

Thank you, I feel better now.

View attachment 684076

500g Salty Dogs
500g Tumblin' Dice
500g Best Brown No. 2
500g Bright CR Flake
500g St. James Flake
250g SG Navy Flake
5 tins 2016 CC
5 tins 2017 CC
3 tins Magnum Opus
4 tins White Knight
2 tins Black House

WOW, can't wait to see what happens when you decide to buy a little something. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom