What's new

Getting back into golf.

When I was a teenager until I was a young adult, I used to play a lot of golf. I had a golf course in between school and home which was a great bonus. As I've gotten older I've found that I've played less and less. My last real golf course game was about 7-8 years ago. I'll be 52 later this year and my lifestyle is far too sedentary. So, the really old Nicklaus clubs (I've had them for around 30 years) have gone off to the charity shop and I've just bought a set of Callaway XR irons and a set of Cobra Fly Z woods. They should arrive from the US in the next couple of weeks and then I'll hit the driving range with them for a few hits before going out on a course. The area I moved to early last year has some fantastic golf courses, along with great weather so it'd be a shame not to take advantage of them and get some badly needed exercise as well.

Has anyone else taken up golf again later in life and if so, how did you find it?

Heya ... actually I just resumed golfing this year too.

Like you, from my teen years (even before I could drive) through to college and my first marriage I played a lot of golf. Often once a week, sometimes more. Got to the point where I was playing pretty much bogey golf.

Then I had kids. Now, nearly 16 years later, I started playing again this year. There's a golf league at work, not terribly competitive, lots of fun and a nice way to "force" me to play at least once a week. I'm still using the clubs I had when I gave it up, which my late father actually made for me, so if I ever "move up" to a newer set of clubs, I'll be holding onto the ones dad made.

It's taken me a month or more to really get back into the swing of it, but I'm getting better.

Hope you enjoy your return as much as I have

I have been playing since I was about 7, so I can't say that I ever really left the game. That being said, I played pretty well until I went to college, and then got worse every year for almost 10 years. The last couple of years I have been playing more and I am finally getting better instead of worse!

Resuming playing golf after a 15 year layoff was a lesson in humility for me. I ended up using senior/ladies flex shafts so I wouldn't have to muscle the ball to the left. I had terrible problems with my timing with my old set. I'm not 45 anymore :blushing:. The cool thing about softer shafts is they are much easier on my shoulders and I am starting to be able to shape my shots again. Although the occasional duck hook comes sneaking in there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am going to be taking it up shortly- the house is almost paid off. I picked up a set of irons and a 1 and 5 wood in June at a pawnshop for $10- they are in pretty good shape. The white stuff on the 5 wood is sticker residue, and the shiny stuff on the 1 wood is the tape holding a price tag on. Now I just need to be on the lookout for a set of wedges, putter, and 3 wood.
$golf.jpg

Partner and I had a great round last night ... ended up shooting a 40 (par is 37).

My short game was on, including an awesome sand save on our 8th hole, and I putted very well, a couple of 12 footers. The guys we were playing against just shook their heads. We ended up beating them 18-2. Of course next week our handicap is going to take a beating.

You guys tell me how it goes. Any pointers that will guide me through the process in a few years when I get back to it would be great. I am currently 9yrs in hiatus since my son was born and it doesn't look like I'll be playing anytime soon. There just isn't the time there was before responsibility. I played almost every day, and at my home track was between bogey and scratch. Funny how life can change and something that was so important literally goes away like that. I still "air-swing" in the mirror and think I've maintained pretty good form(I also have been called delusional on occasion). Enjoy swinging the sticks.

Last edited:
You guys tell me how it goes. Any pointers that will guide me through the process in a few years when I get back to it would be great. I am currently 9yrs in hiatus since my son was born and it doesn't look like I'll be playing anytime soon. There just isn't the time there was before responsibility. I played almost every day, and at my home track was between bogey and scratch. Funny how life can change and something that was so important literally goes away like that. I still "air-swing" in the mirror and think I've maintained pretty good form(I also have been called delusional on occasion). Enjoy swinging the sticks.

So many of us dads take that "kids hiatus" it seems :)

As for me, we ended up fifth in our league, out of ten, which is a good deal given that we were lower handicappers and we spent most of the season in 9th or thereabouts. I also made longest putt on our last night of the season.

Two weeks back I went out on a Friday and played ... ended up grouped with three other guys on course I'd never played (but it was a really nice place) and shot a 95. Breaking 100 is a good thing, especially on a track I'd never played before. Still have work to do before I'm back to where I was years ago

Hoping to play a few more times before the snow flies.

Top Bottom