What's new

Newbie in San Diego

Hi all!

I've just started giving wet shaving a go, as of about the last 3 months or so. This forum has been a huge source of info while researching wet shaving stuff, so I decided to join in order to say thanks, and in case I have questions.

I'm late 30's. Started shaving in the early 1990's using disposables and foaming gel, switched to electrics (the sort with the 3 rotary heads) during the early 00's. I've always had issues with skin irritation from shaving, both with blades and electrics, with a strong tendency towards pimples/bumps in the under-the chin area, which lead me to adopt an every-other-day shaving regimen instead of daily shaving. For the last couple years I've been using a trimmer with the guard off instead, as that allows me to "shave" every day with no irritation, but at the cost of always looking like I've got a 1 day growth instead of being proper clean shaven.

Never been happy with how this looks, but given a choice between stubble or burning rash + breakouts, I have to go with the former. I decided to try wet shaving in the hope that this would help me reduce/control the irritation issues to where I can afford to be proper clean shaven again.

Started with: Ikon Shavecraft Tech head and Maggard MR3 handle, Omega 10066 boar brush, Haslinger Schafmilch soap, Ozma alum block. For aftershave I'm using Target brand witch hazel followed by a couple drops of oil (95% jojoba, 5% tea tree, both from Trader Joe's).

Have not been successful thus far. I can get a good shave on my cheeks: less irritation than I got with disposables, and pretty BBS. The under the chin area still vexes me rather badly, to the point where I can only shave that area once or twice a week. I'm hoping that's a skill thing, or a matter of finding the right razor & blades.

I'd though I wanted an aggressive razor, as my experience with past methods was that repeated passes are what really kill my skin, so I wanted something super-efficient. That's been a bit mixed in practice. The Ikon tech was very educational, but not safe for frequent use. It cut efficiently, but not close, so I still had to make multiple passes to get a decent shave, which was not good for my skin at all. So I went to the opposite extreme, and got a Phoenix DOC.

The DOC is very easy on my skin, but doesn't cut very efficiently or close. I can do more passes and lots of buffing before it hurts my skin (on my face, at least: under the chin is still one-light-pass-only territory), but it still doesn't get me an even close shave. Much better for frequent use than the Ikon tech, but still not satisfying.

I should clarify I'm not aiming for BBS, just trying to get sort-of flush (maybe a bit sandpapery to the touch, but visually clean).

I've tried 3 blade makes/brands so far: Gillette 7 O'Clock SS, Feather SS, and Voskhod teflon. Voskhods were the easiest on my skin, but Feathers had the best cutting and least tugging by a wide margin. The Gillettes were terrible: lots of tugging and skin abrasion. Still have an assortment of others to try.

Also tried a shavette. The one I got wasn't the best fit for me, but still interesting, and I'd love to try another type.

But I'm entirely willing to bet this a matter of practice. I'm brand new to DE shaving, and I haven't shaved with a manual blade of any sort in around 15 years, so I'm pretty dang green.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

The right razor with the right blades and the right soap/cream and the right brush and the right everything else......

Buy it all and you still get a mediocre shave until you learn the skills required.... I've only been shaving this way for a year and continue to learn and re-learn and forget and have to learn again...

Too many passes and buffing will cause irritation which is one of the hazards of a mild razor. Although it feels like you're not cutting hairs, you are and you're abusing the skin.
An aggressive razor with even a little too much pressure will cause the same problem.

I've also switched (mostly) from my boars to a synthetic since I found that was part of the irritation I experienced. Try an arm lather with brush pressure like on your face and see what happens....

Enough yakking....

Welcome [MENTION=111526]Thistle[/MENTION] to the B&B.... Ask anything and don't be shy.

Our house is your house
Nuestra casa es su casa
Notre maison est votre maison
Taigh againn tha taigh agaibh

Welcome aboard! To me the main thing is technique. I get a DFS or better these days with most any setup I try. But it took me awhile to figure things out. ,So I suggest you revisit the wiki, focus on revising each aspect of your shave starting with the prep. You will get there!

[MENTION=111526]Thistle[/MENTION] If I had to guess there is something in your technique that is prohibiting you from getting a great shave. Just keep at it and each time you shave try isolating a factor of the shave. With a little time and experience you will get it. Welcome to badger & Blade!

Hi all!

I've just started giving wet shaving a go, as of about the last 3 months or so. This forum has been a huge source of info while researching wet shaving stuff, so I decided to join in order to say thanks, and in case I have questions.

I'm late 30's. Started shaving in the early 1990's using disposables and foaming gel, switched to electrics (the sort with the 3 rotary heads) during the early 00's. I've always had issues with skin irritation from shaving, both with blades and electrics, with a strong tendency towards pimples/bumps in the under-the chin area, which lead me to adopt an every-other-day shaving regimen instead of daily shaving. For the last couple years I've been using a trimmer with the guard off instead, as that allows me to "shave" every day with no irritation, but at the cost of always looking like I've got a 1 day growth instead of being proper clean shaven.

Never been happy with how this looks, but given a choice between stubble or burning rash + breakouts, I have to go with the former. I decided to try wet shaving in the hope that this would help me reduce/control the irritation issues to where I can afford to be proper clean shaven again.

Started with: Ikon Shavecraft Tech head and Maggard MR3 handle, Omega 10066 boar brush, Haslinger Schafmilch soap, Ozma alum block. For aftershave I'm using Target brand witch hazel followed by a couple drops of oil (95% jojoba, 5% tea tree, both from Trader Joe's).

Have not been successful thus far. I can get a good shave on my cheeks: less irritation than I got with disposables, and pretty BBS. The under the chin area still vexes me rather badly, to the point where I can only shave that area once or twice a week. I'm hoping that's a skill thing, or a matter of finding the right razor & blades.

I'd though I wanted an aggressive razor, as my experience with past methods was that repeated passes are what really kill my skin, so I wanted something super-efficient. That's been a bit mixed in practice. The Ikon tech was very educational, but not safe for frequent use. It cut efficiently, but not close, so I still had to make multiple passes to get a decent shave, which was not good for my skin at all. So I went to the opposite extreme, and got a Phoenix DOC.

The DOC is very easy on my skin, but doesn't cut very efficiently or close. I can do more passes and lots of buffing before it hurts my skin (on my face, at least: under the chin is still one-light-pass-only territory), but it still doesn't get me an even close shave. Much better for frequent use than the Ikon tech, but still not satisfying.

I should clarify I'm not aiming for BBS, just trying to get sort-of flush (maybe a bit sandpapery to the touch, but visually clean).

I've tried 3 blade makes/brands so far: Gillette 7 O'Clock SS, Feather SS, and Voskhod teflon. Voskhods were the easiest on my skin, but Feathers had the best cutting and least tugging by a wide margin. The Gillettes were terrible: lots of tugging and skin abrasion. Still have an assortment of others to try.

Also tried a shavette. The one I got wasn't the best fit for me, but still interesting, and I'd love to try another type.

But I'm entirely willing to bet this a matter of practice. I'm brand new to DE shaving, and I haven't shaved with a manual blade of any sort in around 15 years, so I'm pretty dang green.
Welcome ,Try more blades too

Top Bottom