What's new

Since I know you guys love a mystery. Got another one for you to solve.

No lining, Gillette logo on the bottom, single ring. Only odd thing I spotted at first was the inside frame and lack if a lining. Discovered by accident that the inside frame rotates out and presents the razor and blade cases when the case is stood up. I'm thinking it was for field medical or hospital use since the whole thing could be dropped in the autoclave and sterilized. I have had it for a while now but can't find any info at all.

Have shown this to a couple senior members but no luck so far on any history.

Find some documentation guys. This is bugging me.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Leaned back a bit or flat the frame rests in the bottom of the case.
proxy.php

Stood up the frame rotates out and presents the razor and blade cases.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ps. another member here also has one a little different stamping on the bottom that came with no razor. He doesn't know anything about it either. Wear marks on my single ring seem to indicate it came in this case. Same with the blade cases.

Last edited:
I can't help you with identifying it.

But I just had to say that you have a very pretty package there. That is a beautiful set.

Is it nickel plated brass?

Not sure. The razor looks like any other single ring. Same with the blade cases. I assume it is all nickel plated except the razor? What did they typically make the metal cases out of?

Not sure. The razor looks like any other single ring. Same with the blade cases. I assume it is all nickel plated except the razor? What did they typically make the metal cases out of?

I assume brass with either silver or nickel plate.

I doubt it, but I don't know.

I was originally thinking that the case might be stainless if it was medically related, but that's unlikely.

I also wonder how similar that case is to the ones that raise the razor when opened.

I doubt it, but I don't know.

I was originally thinking that the case might be stainless if it was medically related, but that's unlikely.

I also wonder how similar that case is to the ones that raise the razor when opened.

The tray in this one is only meant to rotate out from gravity. Neat to me since they had to figure the center of gravity with the stuff in there and get the pivot point and weight distribution just right. I puzzled over the purpose of the tray for a long time. One day I was holding the case sideways and the tray rotated out at the bottom. It was an ah hah! moment.

The razor looks like a number 88. Not sure though, I was just reminded of it when I saw your pics cause I've been looking for one. It's one of my vintage wishlist.

Other than that, this looks very interesting and it seems to be in awesome condition. Congrats! I hope we get to solve the mystery!

The razor looks like a number 88. Not sure though, I was just reminded of it when I saw your pics cause I've been looking for one. It's one of my vintage wishlist.

Other than that, this looks very interesting and it seems to be in awesome condition. Congrats! I hope we get to solve the mystery!

It´s a Old Type razor. No88 is a NEW from the 30s, later a Tech from the 40s.

It´s a Old Type razor. No88 is a NEW from the 30s, later a Tech from the 40s.

Welp there it is from Mr Razor himself... ha-ha

Thank you sir, wonderful website you have by the way. Very invaluable specially to us newbies to vintages.

R

romsitsa

It looks to be nickle, the razor maybe silver plated. The whole set is designed very "practical" so I'd also say it has to do something with medical services.

Adam

Neat!! I have not seen anything like this kit. I agree that it looks like it was for medical use. Look forward to what others say.

Welp there it is from Mr Razor himself... ha-ha

Thank you sir, wonderful website you have by the way. Very invaluable specially to us newbies to vintages.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't make use of Achim's website.

Bits of info and conjecture do not feed the beast! Where's the beef? I want images, real data, dates of production, places of distribution, patent drawings. I must know.

Evolutionary biologists have argued that in order to flourish, all foraging species must have a drive to explore the unknown (Panksepp, 1998).

We are all foraging for razors. We must explore the unknown. There must be an answer.

Top Bottom