What's new

EJ89 to 34C to ??

I started dabbling in double edged shaving last December with an EJ89bl. My progress was slow because I only had time to use it on the weekends, but I have finally started using it more often on weekdays and becoming reasonably (but still not perfectly) proficient. Further while not apparent at the beginning, I now realize how superior of a shave is made possible and how poor my shaves were before. I had always thought my "Mach whatever" shaves were great until I hit on a few really nice results with the EJ. And started looking closer in the mirror to see what my Mach 3 left behind. I am still not at a place where I know my favorite blade but narrowing to the Astra SP and feather though have had good shaves with even a Derby.

I am now ready to up my game and dedicate to using every day, which I think will further accelerate my technique progress. I ordered a Merkur HD 34c and a Parker Best Badger brush to help me along and due to an unfortunate accident that resulted in my EJ falling and becoming dented. I have not yet received it. The EJ was great but also found the handle slick.

Now that I have crossed the mental Rubicon to commit to doing this every day, I am thinking forward to another investment in a razor in the medium term future after I master the HD (RAD ??) I am interested in the idea of an open comb aggressive razor. Curious if anyone else has followed this progression and where the next natural step may take me... Thanks

Last edited:
Get reasonably proficient using either the EJ or the 34C. Use it every time you shave for a few months before going more aggressive. I used same razor for over two years before trying something else. The something else was a 1967 Gillette black handle super speed. I now rotate with a 1958 Flare Tip Super Speed.

Improve your technique, which is easier using one razor all the time. Remember light touch. Much less pressure is needed using a DE versus a cart razor. Partly due to weight.

Thanks. I know I need to get fully dialed with the 34c and I also gather from the forum that it may remain my favorite no matter how experienced I become or what else I try. My curiosity for others is more for hobby sake. I'm going to pump the RAD brakes for at least several months and revisit. I really think my technique is getting there after 7-8 months but I need to go every day I think to really perfect it.

I saw that wiki site it's great. Makes me a little scared given how low my old EJ89 is on the scale!

Curious if anyone else has followed this progression and where the next natural step may take me... Thanks

It was actually pretty similar to me. DE89>Merkur HD>Merkur Futur. I consider the Futur my first good DE razor. I thought that others were fine, but, for my face, I now consider them toys. I feel bad for using those for so long before jumping on my Futur. Should've started with that one. Many bad shaves would have been avoided.
But I guess that's the natural way of doing things when we listen to the wet shaving community. Spend a bunch of money on bad products until we get smart and buy the good ones.
You should also get the soap trinity. Arko, MWF and Williams. You are not allowed to buy a good soap until you use those up. :thumbup:

I would definitely try some shave soap as well. TOBS is good, but personally I favor a good shave soap (YMMV, which is why you should try!).

You should try Tabac if you can find it at a nice price. Top notch performer, and triple milled so it lasts a bit longer than forever.

I suggest you stick with one setup for awhile. Focus on technique. Find the optimal blades, soaps, etc. Once your technique is solid then you will be better able to decide on precisely what you want in a razor! Just my $0.02.

Very nicely done. How would you compare the two?

They're just different. I think I get a closer shave wth the shavette but only because I find the shavette a lot easier to use for getting at the random single or double hairs that remain after the first or second pass.

I suggest you stick with one setup for awhile. Focus on technique. Find the optimal blades, soaps, etc. Once your technique is solid then you will be better able to decide on precisely what you want in a razor! Just my $0.02.
Splendid advice. I was delighted to work with the EJ for a good length of time so I imagine small differences with the fit, finish, and function of the HD will illuminate my perspective. But one cannot help dream about what lies behind yonder hill! Shall it be a new, shiny, perfectly machined ATT? A vintage classic searching for its rebirth in the hands of an enthusiastic new owner? Or perhaps beyond that shining horizon is the unbridled aggression of the tactful but unforgiving M41? All questions to gladly ponder as I enjoy getting to know the 34c, which I thoroughly expect to be a fine and elegant tool, even in the hands of an eager neophyte.

Anyone gone to an ATT open comb as a 3rd razor or is that progression to fast?

ATT are nice razors with a great return/trail period to find the plate you like most. However, there are lots of nice razors out there. I don't think it matters "when" you decide to try out a new razor but I would agree with the advice of many others - stay with a similar setup as you get your technique right. Whether that includes another razor or not is up to you.

I just got the Gillette silver blue blades after hearing so many great things about them here and on amazon reviews. What a difference! Previously used Voshkods, Astras and Feathers. I've never had a smoother finer cutting blade or one that I could get more than one shave withouth significant shaving deterioration. I'd say find a great blade also.

Congratulations dear fellow. I do not believe I have been afforded the opportunity to try one. But I do see I have one left from my variety pack. My current set includes the following blades, with at least one of each and many more in some cases:
-Astra SP
-Astra SS
-Feather
-Gillette 7 o'clock
-Gillette Platinum
-Gillette Silver Blue
-Derby
-Blue Bird
-Zorrik SP
-Super Max Platinum
-Bic Chrome Platinum

I am interested in the idea of an open comb aggressive razor.
Fatip Grande or Piccolo. TVB Shaving had the best price I could find for the Grande. (Obviously, that can change from one day to the next.) Make sure you're using good quality soap or you might get nicked badly.

Last edited:
I'm using only TOBS currently and Barbasol if in a pinch.
You should really, REALLY try something else. For me, TOBS was "okay." Not great, not terrible. Barbasol is about as bad as it gets. I'm not going to try it, but I have a hunch using regular bar soap (Ivory, Coast, etc.) for shaving might work better than Barbasol. (Not suggesting you try this, BTW.)

Try soap samples if you can. Much like blades, I hate getting stuck with a bunch of product I know I don't like. Stirling, Barrister & Mann, CRSW, Haslinger and MWF all seem to get good/very good reviews. Of course, there are many others that work well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom