What's new

did I make a good decision?

I have been shaving with DE for just over one arko stick length of time. I am still a newbie and really haven't got things down pat yet. Still way better results than cartridge or electric.

I recently got some sample blades to try out as I wasn't liking the shark stainless that I had been using as much as I used to. Cold weather I think makes the razor react differently to my skin. However, I tried a single Astra blade which a lot of people live and got absolutely identical results. Decided to step back and do further work on technique.

Looking at my options, I have 3 cheap chinese razors - 2 are decent shavers but featherweight. I realised that to practice 0 pressure, the only worthwhile candidate was the weishi. This has decent weight and from several reviews I know it can be a decent shaver.

A weeks shaves later and I feel that it works well. I think I am getting the angle right. I am really disliking the lighter razors when I pick them up. My issue is that I can't seem to get a decent shave in less than 4 passes - and that leads to irritation. I am not trying different blades at present, just trying to get the shaving right. Therefore my conclusion is I need a more aggressive razor. I think?

Being not willing to make more bad mistakes with cheap razors, yet not having cash to burn, my conclusion is to go with something old yet proven and popular. Hence I have a (very) user grade slim heading my way in a few weeks. I will continue focusing on technique

I have finished a stick of arko, am I still a newbie?

A slim is an excellent razor and my first DE. I would recommend starting on setting 3. Also don't chase a BBS shave. I never do more than 3 passes. I'm just looking for CCS with no irritation. Sometimes I get BBS and enjoy those days. Also I never go across the grain on my neck. First pass with the grain, second against the gain, third with the grain again. I would say stick with the slim and Astra's you have and work on technique and play with the settings on the slim.

If you transitioned from cart/system razors you have carried over a lot of bad habits.

The draw to cart razors is that you do not need to know how to shave to get them to cut your beard.

Rather than jumping into new tools and continue to get poor shaves. Spend some time with the tools you now have and learn now to shave and practice until you can shave without thinking about it.

Are you a newbie? I don't know, some of us have been shaving for years and we still learn new things from other members all the time. If the term is used to determine the length of time someone is a member of B&B then I think it would apply. It certainly isn't meant to be derogatory.

Are you a newbie? I don't know, some of us have been shaving for years and we still learn new things from other members all the time. If the term is used to determine the length of time someone is a member of B&B then I think it would apply. It certainly isn't meant to be derogatory.

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge." --Socrates

In a sense we are all still newbies. The lessons of good technique and proper prep get learned and then relearned. I like reading, and participating in, the "What did you learn from your last shave" thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/402777-What-did-you-learn-from-your-last-shave). It reminds me that even the guys who have been around the block longer than I have are still learning and relearning. Some lessons need to be refreshed and each shave is an opportunity for a refresher.

So [MENTION=110653]Moody[/MENTION], since you have been at this several weeks and are obviously thinking critically about your shaves, I would say that you are no longer a newbie in the strictest sense. But there will always be lessons to learn, and lessons to have refreshed. Also, there will always be room for technique improvement.

I am certain that I will probably always have to focus on technique. It seems like every time I let my guard down I end up shedding blood even though I have been daily wet shaving for five months now. Wet shaving is Zen-like, but it requires focus. Also, for me, each razor, even when I have multiples of the same brand and model, behaves differently, so does each cream and soap. I have several Postwar ball-end Gillette Techs with no date code. They are all similar in performance, but not exactly the same. Each cream and soap requires a different water-to-product ratio, so each one is an experiment in creating the proper lather.

A slim is an excellent razor and my first DE. I would recommend starting on setting 3. Also don't chase a BBS shave. I never do more than 3 passes. I'm just looking for CCS with no irritation. Sometimes I get BBS and enjoy those days. Also I never go across the grain on my neck. First pass with the grain, second against the gain, third with the grain again. I would say stick with the slim and Astra's you have and work on technique and play with the settings on the slim.

This is good advice. I agree with "don't chase a BBS." I know that I can get one, but I risk weepers and will almost certainly have irritation. Most days I am able to get a DFS in two passes with no irritation. When I go for three passes (usually Saturday only) and really take my time I can get a BBS with very minor, or sometimes no, irritation. For me it is the ATG pass that is the most likely to lead to irritation and nicks, so I do a WTG pass then an XTG pass most days and am quite happy with the results.

There is nothing wrong with trying new equipment, I agree that the Slim is a great razor. Just take your time with it. I am a bit of a "razor whore" I use something different almost every day. I think this hindered me for the first couple of months. So, when you get your Slim stick with it and the Astras for a couple of weeks. Try the different settings and see if it doesn't work better for you. Give yourself time to learn the razor's angles. If you still aren't happy with the shaves, then try some other blades in it. Eventually you should be able to find a combination that works great.

Also, don't throw out those Chinese razors. Revisit them in a few months once you have spent some time with your Slim. Your opinion of them might change once you have more experience.

As Meg Ryan so famously said............................Yes

:laugh:

OP, keep trying and learning. Practice and patience do the trick and although a Slim is a nice one, maybe sticking to the tools you're familiar with for a while could help you better.

I've been shaving with DE razors since 2011... and trying a vintage Gillette Old Type a couple of months ago taught me again to shave. I'm still learning!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you transitioned from cart/system razors you have carried over a lot of bad habits.

The draw to cart razors is that you do not need to know how to shave to get them to cut your beard.

Rather than jumping into new tools and continue to get poor shaves. Spend some time with the tools you now have and learn now to shave and practice until you can shave without thinking about it.

I am in total agreement with Mick. Get to know your razor first (all three of them). Practice your technique. Sometimes no pressure is good, and for some razors it is not. Play around with your angles. Some razors work best when the head is almost perpendicular to your face, and some work better when the head is resting on your face. Stick with one brand of blade for now just to make one less factor to consider. Don't think about things like mild or aggressive as it is just a smoke screen. Bottom line is that if you can't get a decent shave from any of the razors you got, changing razors probably won't help.

I have been use a Weishi long handle and have been getting good shaves. Keep working on your technique. For what it's worth Sharks do me no good. For me GSB and Personna Blues work best, but every face is different.

I have finished a stick of arko, am I still a newbie?
It's not about time itself but how far you've progressed. If irritation is still a common issue then you're still learning and sorting things out. Does it really matter? The shave itself is what's important, not labels like newbie.

Therefore my conclusion is I need a more aggressive razor. I think?

Sounds like you're jumping the gun to me. It's much more likely to be the operator than the tool.

I have been shaving for 35+ years and have around 200 razors and dozens of different blades to choose from but every time I try a new razor or blade I consider myself a ‘newbie’. I focus on the basics and results until I get a good familiarity with the new combo. Yes there is a lot of carry over but also a surprising amount of variability. I personally find it all fun and interesting.

Try a Razorock Mission. $19.99 and you get 20 free blades. Right now it's my Favorite razor.
I get a great shave every time I use it.

Slims are awesome razors. I started on a Fatboy, which is almost the same razor, IMHO. I started on 3 and moved up to 5 pretty quick, then kept clicking it up as I got better with it. Now I just leave them on 9. I don't find them to be scary even when wide open, just don't use any pressure the razor is heavy enough. To me to light or to mild causes me more problems because I make to many passes and have to start to push down on the razors.

Enjoy your Slim, I think it was a great decision. :thumbup1:

Slims are awesome razors. I started on a Fatboy, which is almost the same razor, IMHO. I started on 3 and moved up to 5 pretty quick, then kept clicking it up as I got better with it. Now I just leave them on 9. I don't find them to be scary even when wide open, just don't use any pressure the razor is heavy enough. To me to light or to mild causes me more problems because I make to many passes and have to start to push down on the razors.

Enjoy your Slim, I think it was a great decision. :thumbup1:

That was pretty much my reasoning. I am trying to use no pressure, I can not get a result I like at all from the two over light razors and the weishi is too mild to use without excessive passes.

I could have gotten any number of other razors that may or may not solve my particular problems. I like the idea of a gillette tech or new, but I have no idea if they would suit me. My reasoning is that the slim should suit me on one setting or another. (maybe an even milder setting would be the way to go - but I don't think so).

I already know that I am happy with a TTO shaving under my nose etc. I am not worried about needing a 3 piece to do that sort of thing.

Try a Razorock Mission. $19.99 and you get 20 free blades. Right now it's my Favorite razor.
I get a great shave every time I use it.

I don't think they are even available in my country - plus I really think I want an adjustable rather than continually buying more razors hoping to get the one that suits me.

I am in total agreement with Mick. Get to know your razor first (all three of them). Practice your technique. Sometimes no pressure is good, and for some razors it is not. Play around with your angles. Some razors work best when the head is almost perpendicular to your face, and some work better when the head is resting on your face. Stick with one brand of blade for now just to make one less factor to consider. Don't think about things like mild or aggressive as it is just a smoke screen. Bottom line is that if you can't get a decent shave from any of the razors you got, changing razors probably won't help.

I have been playing with angles. I have been sticking with one blade (as I said, I tried one astra, got the exact same results and have gone back to the sharks and working on technique). I don't want to waste the samples I have if my technique is not up to scratch, and I know I can get good shaves from the blades I have.

My one issue with consistent tools while learning is that I am out of Arko. Next shave I'll go onto a derby soap (that is meant to be very similar) which may change my results slightly. The only other option I have is a palmolive lather shave cream - but that is a long way from what I am currently used to and I will save that for some other time.

This is good advice. I agree with "don't chase a BBS." I know that I can get one, but I risk weepers and will almost certainly have irritation. Most days I am able to get a DFS in two passes with no irritation. When I go for three passes (usually Saturday only) and really take my time I can get a BBS with very minor, or sometimes no, irritation. For me it is the ATG pass that is the most likely to lead to irritation and nicks, so I do a WTG pass then an XTG pass most days and am quite happy with the results.

I am not 'chasing' BBS. However, I am not getting what I think of as acceptable shaves for the number of passes I do. I have thick black hair that even shaved looks like a 5 o'clock shadow.

I'm currently doing a WTG and then two opposite XTG. If I attempt ATG before the other three passes there is still too much to cut down and the razor skips regardless of the quality of the lather. (This is probably at least partially my technique). If I stopped after that two XTG passes I would probably have SAS but not much more.

I am leaving my neck at two passes as it is more sensitive.

I have tried multiple WTG before XTG. I have tried more XTG instead of ATG. Mostly it ends up with as much irritation and not as effective a result.

(PS I have done my beard mapping and know what ways are actually WTG etc.)

PS. All this talk makes it sound like my shaves are pretty awful. They really aren't that bad

Top Bottom