What's new

Please, give me recommendations for a wallet

Currently I have been using leather wallets and the threads (not the leather) are usually breaking inside of a couple of years. Now I wonder if I could get something stronger.

I have these requirements:
- Wear resistant. If it is sewed together, the thread needs to be of very durable material.
- It needs to take cards, notes and coins. If one of those are not possible to store in the wallet, it is not for me.
- Needs to fit well in the back pocket without being too uncomfortable when I sit. The slimmer the better.

The problem I have is that they're all slim....until I start putting in all the "stuff" I carry in it. Mine is made by Saddleback Leather Co. Not cheap, but the quality is outstanding and they're durable. I discovered them through this Forum. He has different syle wallet. Pick your poison.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Your preferences are obviously your own, but good luck finding a comfortable way to sit on your coins.

I have a Saddleback wallet. I used it for about a week. It is strong - very strong - but doesn't hold coins and (at least mine) is absolutely not thin.

I think I ended up with a Johnson and Murphy wallet from one of the outlet stores for around $39 (I'm currently in my bathrobe or I'd look). I've had it for quite a few years and it's still going strong, but I don't expect it to have an extremely long life.

Your preferences are obviously your own, but good luck finding a comfortable way to sit on your coins.
I am not having much coins, but must of the time there will at the end of each week be some. I do want a place to store them until I can drop them off in church or any other place.

Saddleback or Mitchells wallets are great but there's the coin thing that neither will handle. In fact I can't think or any modern wallets that handle coins. Whenever I get coins they go in a pocket and I just throw then in my desk at work for the vending machine on those days when I can't get away for lunch. The coin thing is the hard part, why not just leave those in your car until you have a chance to deposit them somewhere or pay with exact change.

Most everything else is cards now and it makes life so much easier. I even have the weekly offering for my church as an automatic deposit from a card.

strop

Now half as wise
I don't think I've seen a wallet with a coin purse built in for many years, at least in the US. I have noticed, though when travelling abroad, that I end up with a pocket full of coins, and start counting and easily have $20 or even more in coin. In Japan, it was even more, since they have $5 coins (500yen). I saw many men with wallets that had a small coin purse built in. You might look for foreign sources.

- Needs to fit well in the back pocket without being too uncomfortable when I sit. The slimmer the better.
I can't imagine anything being comfortable with all that stuff in it. If you want slim it's really the stuff that is the issue -- not the wallet itself.

The problem I have is that they're all slim....until I start putting in all the "stuff" I carry in it. Mine is made by Saddleback Leather Co.
I've learned to keep it minimal with a Saddleback sleeve wallet. It can fit my ID/DL, 2 insurance cards, AAA card, ATM/debit card and 3 credit cards. I don't really need anything else. Won't work for the OP since it doesn't hold coins. Very well constructed though.

In Japan, it was even more, since they have $5 coins (500yen).
It's the 1 yen coins that are really a problem for me. It's hard to get rid of them. I have a bag of them from my last two trips.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a Mitchell which holds 8 cards and notes, but not coins. As soon as you add a coin compartment, the "slim" is not longer happening. You may want to investigate woman's wallets, they often have a coin purse included, but generally are quite big.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a Mitchell which holds 8 cards and notes, but not coins. As soon as you add a coin compartment, the "slim" is not longer happening. You may want to investigate woman's wallets, they often have a coin purse included, but generally are quite big.

Yep, any coin type thing I have ever seen have been dedicated coin holders. An off note- my leather chair in the living room is notorious for absorbing things that fall out of your pocket. I dropped my AppleTV remote into it last night, and decided to dig it out today (I always get fore arm cuts when I do this). I came out with over $3 in change. Click on the spoiler to see the damage (not too bad this time).

$damage.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yep, any coin type thing I have ever seen have been dedicated coin holders. An off note- my leather chair in the living room is notorious for absorbing things that fall out of your pocket. I dropped my AppleTV remote into it last night, and decided to dig it out today (I always get fore arm cuts when I do this). I came out with over $3 in change. Click on the spoiler to see the damage (not too bad this time).

That's not worth $3 .....:tongue_sm

Coach wallets are good. I've had a leather Coach wallet for about 6 years. They make many different configurations and are pretty durable. Mine holds quite a few cards and cash. It has a nice and slim profile. I think I paid about $140 back then. Not cheap, unless your buying a $40 or $50 wallet every 2 or so years. Then it's priced about the same.

You might look for foreign sources.
If foreign sources mean sources from Europe, then even better, as I am living in Europe. Shipping from the US is often quite expensive and I would end up paying tax on even the shipping part for receiving something from the US.

I've used a saddleback for a while now.

I've cut back to only the necessities and carry my wallet in my front pocket.

I've always kept coins in a rubber coin purse (you know the type, the kind your grand daddy carried)

proxy.php

Last edited:
I used leather wallets for much of my life but never found them very satisfactory, although some were very expensive. They always required me to compromise on what I carried, or wore out too quickly. So, about three years ago, I bought a Maxpedition CMC wallet, which is made of a woven synthetic material and cost much less than any of the leather wallets I'd had. It has a coin pocket, plenty of card and note storage options, doesn't fall open unless I want it to and is very well made. It's used every day and I honestly think it looks no different to when I received it. It's not as smart looking as a leather wallet, but it has a military look which I quite like.

My current wallet is a zippered Dopp satin cowhide billfold. One large compartment for paper money, 8 slots for credit card-sized cards, one clear compartment for driver's license, 3 more compartments for more cards or similar. I bought this wallet 8 years ago and have carried it every day in my pants' front pocket. Looks pretty much like new. I should have bought another. The one I bought was made in Italy, if I remember correctly. Dopp now are made in India. If I don't forget, I will post a picture tomorrow.

I carry coins in a sock (in my jacket pocket, not on my foot). :lol:

Top Bottom