What's new

Rotbart 15

Rotbart mond extra 15

Hi gents, curious about this razor. Is the head Zamak? How is the performance?

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, the head and neck are made of a zinc alloy but a durable mixture. There was a find not too long ago (~8-10 years) of a bunch of N.O.S. No.15 razors in a European warehouse, stored in somewhat compromising conditions -- many had slight plating isuues. I ended up with a couple, I love the shave! Like a smooth, efficient Tech on steroids.

The shape of the head is complicated and holds the blade well. Great 2-piece razor for approximately 70 years old -- pic of one I've used for hundreds of shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the head and neck are made of a zinc alloy but a durable mixture. There was a find not too long ago (~8-10 years) of a bunch of N.O.S. No.15 razors in a European warehouse, stored in somewhat compromising conditions -- many had slight plating isuues. I ended up with a couple, I love the shave! Like a smooth, efficient Tech on steroids.

The shape of the head is complicated and holds the blade well. Great 2-piece razor for approximately 70 years old -- pic of one I've used for hundreds of shaves.

Wow that sounds great, thank you. But wouldn't plating issues deteriorate zamak's very quickly?

Are you still able to use yours now?

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
But wouldn't plating issues deteriorate zamak's very quickly? Are you still able to use yours now?

It hasn't been a problem and likely won't be in my lifetime, it's ready for another 70 years at least. Try one if you get a chance.

Here it is today, nothing to worry about.

$Rotbart No15.jpg

Rotbart mond extra 15

Hi gents, curious about this razor. Is the head Zamak? How is the performance?
I've heard it's a more durable zinc alloy as well. I had one years ago. Regarding the performance, it is similar to a Merkur 34c. I think what differentiates it is that it is slightly more aggressive, which makes for a smoother shave, and the thinner, lighter handle gives it better balance.

I've heard it's a more durable zinc alloy as well. I had one years ago. Regarding the performance, it is similar to a Merkur 34c. I think what differentiates it is that it is slightly more aggressive, which makes for a smoother shave, and the thinner, lighter handle gives it better balance.

I'm one of those blokes who didn't have much luck with the 34c, maybe the Rotbart will perform better for me. Thanks for the insight Rusty

This is a fabulous shaver. My educated guess is that my example dates from +/- 1948, based upon the decrepit tin box it was living in and the lack of DRGM markings (I've seen this pairing in an NOS example with blades dated to '48). That rusty box I'm sure in part contributed to the destruction of the plating on all but the (brass) top cap. The Zamak bottom plate/guard means a replate is not possible but a Gunkote from North Shore or Delta Echo might be. Suggestions welcomed.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

"old type" is all brass
"Rfb" all brass or aluminum (or part aluminum)
"Nr. 15" zamak head with aluminum or brass tubes, or all plastic
"Tech" aluminum, aluminum/zamak or all plastic.

Adam

Top Bottom