What's new

Pointing your muzzle at innocent bystanders.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If it's holstered In a proper holster I really don't see what the problem is.

Safety wise, you're right, the gun can never go off in a proper holster. But just like proper table edicate, there is, proper & polite carry edicate. While you can't hurt anyone chewing with your mouth open and eating with your elbows all up on the table, it will make other people uncomfortable in public.

Same with carry. No one, wants to see someone else's gun muzzle, swinging precariously around a room. Secured or not. I personally, think it also tells of the awesome character of @Mark, for that while he knows, no one can see the muzzle in his pocket, he still shows concern for the general public and people at large.

Exactly the very kind of person who should be and we want, to carry a gun. :)

What I think is nuts are people who apendix carry, now that's scary [emoji14]

Lol'd. My wife carries appendix. But I have always thought her a little nuts, long before she carried a gun. ;)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have completely stopped pocket carrying. Even when you just sit in a chair the muzzle is not pointed down. I only carry OWB as I feel much more in control of the muzzle.
@Scott, depending on what type of pants you wear, and the size of your pocket gun, there is a certain technique one can use to keep their muzzle pointed in a safe direction when sitting. Now that I am older (over 50) I personally, have gotten to the place, where I don't wear very tight pants.

In fact, I can't remember, the last time I have even worn a pair of jeans. Mostly anymore, my pants are of the casual chino variety, or 5.11 type, or Docker casual or dress slacks. These types of pants, which usually have larger and looser pockets, give the benefit of moving the inside pocket around when sitting.

For example. On the rare occasion I do pocket carry, it's usually, a Ruger LCP .380 in a Dockers or dress slack. Once I sit, I place my hand in my pocket, grab the pistol by the grip, which is in a small Blackhawk soft holster, and slide the holster and the entire inside pocket and the guns muzzle, towards the chair I am sitting in.

The muzzle is now pointing down at the chair, next to my hip. It's really easy & simple to do. The gun has no danger of falling out either. When I stand, I reach in the pocket again, and straighten the inside pocket out. The bottom of the holster and muzzle, is once again pointing down.

There's always someone out there who has never actually even tried this idea, but will have an opposite, corresponding opinion to this post. So I will leave this advice with... YMMV. :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@Scott, depending on what type of pants you wear, and the size of your pocket gun, there is a certain technique one can use to keep their muzzle pointed in a safe direction when sitting. Now that I am older (over 50) I personally, have gotten to the place, where I don't wear very tight pants.

In fact, I can't remember, the last time I have even worn a pair of jeans. Mostly anymore, my pants are of the casual chino variety, or 5.11 type, or Docker casual or dress slacks. These types of pants, which usually have larger and looser pockets, give the benefit of moving the inside pocket around when sitting.

For example. On the rare occasion I do pocket carry, it's usually, a Ruger LCP .380 in a Dockers or dress slack. Once I sit, I place my hand in my pocket, grab the pistol by the grip, which is in a small Blackhawk soft holster, and slide the holster and the entire inside pocket and the guns muzzle, towards the chair I am sitting in.

The muzzle is now pointing down at the chair, next to my hip. It's really easy & simple to do. The gun has no danger of falling out either. When I stand, I reach in the pocket again, and straighten the inside pocket out. The bottom of the holster and muzzle, is once again pointing down.

There's always someone out there who has never actually even tried this idea, but will have an opposite, corresponding opinion to this post. So I will leave this advice with... YMMV. :)

Good point Rob-I am over 50 as well but I do wear jeans a lot so that make turning the pocket holster a bit harder. The style of shorts I wear that would not be an issue at all.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Safety wise, you're right, the gun can never go off in a proper holster. But just like proper table edicate, there is, proper & polite carry edicate. While you can't hurt anyone chewing with your mouth open and eating with your elbows all up on the table, it will make other people uncomfortable in public.

Same with carry. No one, wants to see someone else's gun muzzle, swinging precariously around a room. Secured or not. I personally, think it also tells of the awesome character of @Mark, for that while he knows, no one can see the muzzle in his pocket, he still shows concern for the general public and people at large.

Exactly the very kind of person who should be and we want, to carry a gun. :)

^^^ What he said. It may be perfectly safe, but...don't be Rude! :001_smile

Very well put there Rob.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pricey?? Indeed. But not scarce really.
Here's one of the better rigs out there by Andrews Leather

View attachment 677055

Oh that looks nice. I had a nice Bianchi vertical leather shoulder holster years ago but the ones I have now are just the ballistic nylon ones...which I never wear. I'm an IWB at about 4:30 kinda guy.

I've thought...and then thought...and thought...about getting one of these two for my Colt SAA but haven't decided which style. It's a little pricey for just a toy though. And I'd just HAVE to get the extra fancy floral carving with the dyed background on the Hardin one.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-44-18-1895-hardin-shoulder-rig.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-40-18-tombstone-speed-rig-shoulder-rig.aspx

Always, always better safe than sorry. Unlikely case scenario, but once again this points out the fact that you are responsible for what leaves the end of that barrel and it is like ringing a bell once rung it ain't coming back. This should be a good reminder to all of us that anything that leaves the end of that barrel might very well be followed by two things. First an attorney and secondly a grand jury....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The aforementioned concerns make a pretty good case for:
A. Carrying a weapon in a OWB which negates much of the "where is the muzzle pointed right now" concerns
B. Coming to realize a pistol having a longer and heavier trigger pull and has no need for any kind of "safety" can be a pretty good idea
C. Both of the above

Realistically speaking the necessity for toting 15-20-25 rounds of ammunition can be effectively argued one way or the other. Having concern over where a muzzle is pointed when a pistol is securely holstered should be a minimal worry; no need for anxiety really.

I humbly suggest though, that if there is a level of angst over the issues, try modifying your gear.

View attachment 676783
View attachment 676784

Sometimes old school is simply the best solution

Amen. I only carry revolvers. But at least it's on me, instead of in the safe. May only hold 5 or 6, depending on which one it is I'm carrying that day, but I'm just a better shot with a revolver.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had this same thought the first day I pocket carried my LCP. The thought stuck with me for a couple weeks. I finally got a good IWB holster and stopped pocket carrying.

Well...I have seen first hand how the authorities in the UK handle less-than-pleasant situations.
I was physically present at the location shown in this news clip and witnessed pretty much the entire incident. To say the police were just a tad on edge was an understatement, Some of those guys were more than slightly scared. The bad guys in this case were armed with a Stanley knife...yes, a Stanley knife. Their purpose for all of the confusion was that this pharmacy (chemist's shop in the local vernacular) was a pick up spot for methadone. One stop shopping for the recovering junkies. Seems these desperados didn't want to play the game by the rules and wanted their goodies RIGHT NOW!!! For sure...no one got a muzzle pointed their way...actually I never saw a muzzzle of anything, anywhere. And yes...after shutting down multiple city blocks and calling out half of the local police force, many hours later all was well. Glad I live in America. I really have little time or patience for such drawn-out foolishness.....

Great pubs in Edinburgh though....gotta say!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-22554464

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As for Cigar Guy's original predicament...don't put you legs in that position if it points the barrel where you don't want it to go. :001_smile

Pay attention to your weapon...that's a lot of responsibility you are carrying. Most of the time I'll put my little Colt Cobra in an IWB, but quite a bit I'll just stuff it, or a .40 AMT BackUp, or a Walther TPH, in my front pants pocket. I'm aware of where the barrel is pointing.

This is a very good post you made here Cigar Guy...shows you are a responsible person.

This thread went way off topic.
Remember this is not a forum to debate the rights of gun ownership, use or chastize or criticize those who do. Several members have been permanently removed from accessing this area of the BnB.
Please read the announcement at the top of the forum for the guidelines.

IMHO, I think twisting your pocket holster up and down when sitting and standing might INCREASE the possibility of a negligent discharge injuring someone. When I pocket carry I leave the pocket holster in the original position, regardless of my body posture. A gun held securely inside a trigger-covering holster, and which is not being handled by a human being, is as safe and as inert as one which is lying on the table untouched. The real danger comes when the gun is being placed into, or withdrawn from, the holster, because that is the point at which human hands get involved in the process. I think that touching the gun and holster as a unit is quite safe, but every time you reach in that pocket, there is a small chace of accidentally drawing the firearm from the holster.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Gents,

There have been 2 warnings posted in this thread to keep it on track and the discussion civil. Please think clearly about what you post here going forward. There will not be any further warnings.

Please keep the discussion on topic and gentlemanly.

Top Bottom