What's new

Pointing your muzzle at innocent bystanders.

Not on purpose of course!

I have a little story about my day that got me thinking.

It has been blazing hot in Florida (Hottest July EVER) and I have to travel up I-95 to take my son to the orthodontics.

Instead of reaching for my Shield and tucking it against my skin I decide to just pocket carry with my LCP.

I pocket carry this everyday at work and never even think about it.

Onto the story...I am sitting in the waiting room with one leg crossed playing on my cell phone. A bunch of kids and parents are there with me.
I just happen to glance down at my pocket and can see the print of the gun in the holster and I came to the realization that I have a loaded gun with one in the chamber pointed straight at a 13 year old boys head. I quickly uncrossed my legs and got him out of the line of fire.

I know, I know....the gun won't go off without pulling the trigger, but with all my training about not pointing the muzzle at anything you don't want to kill....I really don't know how to put it in words, but really, how are you supposed to follow all the fundamentals of safety ALL the time so an accident don't happen? I mean... my gun was pointed straight at this kids head for goodness sakes.

You did the right thing. When I was about 7 or 8 my dad introduced me to guns and hunting. Rule number one is "All guns are loaded". Rule number two is never point a gun at something you don't want to kill. Obviously this situation is not exactly pointing a gun at someone, but I think that rule still has to apply.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not on purpose of course!

I have a little story about my day that got me thinking.

It has been blazing hot in Florida (Hottest July EVER) and I have to travel up I-95 to take my son to the orthodontics.

Instead of reaching for my Shield and tucking it against my skin I decide to just pocket carry with my LCP.

I pocket carry this everyday at work and never even think about it.

Onto the story...I am sitting in the waiting room with one leg crossed playing on my cell phone. A bunch of kids and parents are there with me.
I just happen to glance down at my pocket and can see the print of the gun in the holster and I came to the realization that I have a loaded gun with one in the chamber pointed straight at a 13 year old boys head. I quickly uncrossed my legs and got him out of the line of fire.

I know, I know....the gun won't go off without pulling the trigger, but with all my training about not pointing the muzzle at anything you don't want to kill....I really don't know how to put it in words, but really, how are you supposed to follow all the fundamentals of safety ALL the time so an accident don't happen? I mean... my gun was pointed straight at this kids head for goodness sakes.

This story of yours will have me going crazy, unless I ask you, the obvious question. Did you go ahead and cross the other leg? :)

just to give you something else to think about. If you were wearing shorts, when you cross your leg, innocent bystanders can see up your leg holes.

Scary story. Points out the need to always be aware of your muzzle. Glad you caught it and corrected ASAP.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This story of yours will have me going crazy, unless I ask you, the obvious question. Did you go ahead and cross the other leg? :)

:lol:

Does your pocket holster have enough room in the pocket to adjust the angle of the muzzle if it's pointed that way? Just move the muzzle down if it does. Or your leg.

The few times I've worn a shoulder holster it was a vertical one. Some of the investigators wore the horizontal shoulder holsters (think Miami Vice) and with their jacket off at the station when they turned around I could see the muzzle pointing right at me. Nothing really to worry about as long as the weapon was just sitting in the holster, but still.

The current DA's investigator wears a horizontal shoulder holster with a Glock 17, and he goes in the district courtroom as extra security, along with the balliff, sometimes and doesn't wear a jacket...and I've seen him with one of the 30 round extended clips in the Glock.

I just wonder what the people in the jury box, along with the people in the gallery, think when he's walking around the courtroom with the muzzle pointed willy-nilly.

I posit that if you are going int a doctor's office or something like that, you should carry the Shield in an IWB. Or maybe appendix. Or leave it at home or in the car.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would be more concerned of the pistol falling out of the pocket while sitting and crossing ones leg , particularly if it is not in a pocket holster. Also of concern is the lack of a covered trigger guard. You may make it a habit of not carrying anything else in your pocket that could actuate the trigger, but stuff happens.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I posit that if you are going int a doctor's office or something like that, you should carry the Shield in an IWB. Or maybe appendix. Or leave it at home or in the car.

Problem is, as Jeff Cooper used to say, "you can't make an appointment for an emergency". Who's to say the doctor's office is safe? There was a recent shooting in a doctors office adjacent to the hospital I work in where a deranged patient shot and killed his doctor. Nice uptown neighborhood. No reason for anyone to think that it could suddenly become a dangerous place.

Last edited:
The aforementioned concerns make a pretty good case for:
A. Carrying a weapon in a OWB which negates much of the "where is the muzzle pointed right now" concerns
B. Coming to realize a pistol having a longer and heavier trigger pull and has no need for any kind of "safety" can be a pretty good idea
C. Both of the above

Realistically speaking the necessity for toting 15-20-25 rounds of ammunition can be effectively argued one way or the other. Having concern over where a muzzle is pointed when a pistol is securely holstered should be a minimal worry; no need for anxiety really.

I humbly suggest though, that if there is a level of angst over the issues, try modifying your gear.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Sometimes old school is simply the best solution

Problem is, as Jeff Cooper used to say, "you can't make an appointment for an emergency". Who's to say the doctor's office is safe? There was a recent shooting in a doctors office adjacent to the hospital I work in where a deranged patient shot and killed his doctor. Nice uptown neighborhood. No reason for anyone to think that it could suddenly become a dangerous place.

Totally true. Shield in a Tuck might have been a better option.

This is precisely why I don't pocket carry much. If I know I'm going to be sitting I'm also going to be muzzling people.

The few times I've worn a shoulder holster it was a vertical one. Some of the investigators wore the horizontal shoulder holsters (think Miami Vice) and with their jacket off at the station when they turned around I could see the muzzle pointing right at me. Nothing really to worry about as long as the weapon was just sitting in the holster, but still.

Gives me the willies. Just what are folks thinking, making or using a holster that violates rule 2 on a constant basis? Yikes.

As an aside, I've always coveted a good vertical shoulder holster--I work with a suit/tux coat on--but they're scarce as hen's teeth these days, and the ones that are available are quite pricey.

The aforementioned concerns make a pretty good case for:
A. Carrying a weapon in a OWB which negates much of the "where is the muzzle pointed right now" concerns

IWB does the same thing. I prefer OWB and do so in the winter, but once summer arrives the IWB will have to do. It gives me 4-5 more inches of shirt covering the gun.

Yes, I've seen that and I love his work. Glad I would have a slightly shorter barrel to cover!

I guess I meant that you can find the horizontal shoulder holsters all over the place, but vertical not so much.

Now if I could figure out how to draw from it without muzzling myself and others--or raising my off hand up in the air--I'd be all over it! :laugh:

If it's holstered In a proper holster I really don't see what the problem is.

What I think is nuts are people who apendix carry, now that's scary [emoji14]

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have completely stopped pocket carrying. Even when you just sit in a chair the muzzle is not pointed down. I only carry OWB as I feel much more in control of the muzzle.

Top Bottom