What's new

Okay, let's talk about the chin

I am interested in hearing from you guys about shaving the chin with a SR. I would like to hear your strategies, your little tips and tricks for a neat close shave on the chin...without nicks. I have watched every video and read every post on shaving the chin...and I am still occasionally nicking myself on my non-dominant hand side of my chin. I have no problem shaving every other part of my face...just my chin is driving me crazy!:mad3:

Dunno. I just drive the blade down and around, don't even really think about it. No luck going east-west on the chin with a straight for me.

Pure sideways passes, like east-west, don't work for my chin area. I do a N-S pass, and 45 degree angle passes both ways (so 45 and 315), then a S-N pass. I mainly use the first third of the blade for my 45 degree passes, and the middle part of the blade for the N-S and S-N passes.

The big thing on the N-S & S-N passes for me is that I smoothly and consistently adjust the blade to keep a proper cutting angle. This is the most challenging part. Try using two or three mirrors if you can so that you can watch how you need to change the angle (relative to the ground) as you move along your chin.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It's all about blade angle for me. Ensuring I maintain the correct angle as my chin angle changes.

I do a modified east to west pass along with a N-S and S-N. On my E-W pass I only touch the blade to my lower chin as any higher would cause bridging (the blade touching my lower chin and lower lip but gapping or grazing the skin in between). The only reason I even do this stroke is because I find that the hair along my chin line is exceptionally coarse. The extra stroke is beneficial for me.

In short though, blade angle.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Okay, let's talk about the chin

Okay.

proxy.php

Good thread starter Rusty! I'm trying to figure this out too. I can mostly get through my chin area with a straight, but I still don't have the dexterity to achieve DFS (or better) results yet. I have found that because I can use both hands to shave, it's a little easier than if I just try with my dominant hand. I've mostly been working E-W on the sides of my chin and just a little bit N-S to roll over the edge. Still noodling on all of this and only time will tell if this is how it will best work for me.

Good thread, I don't do an E/W pass as i have tried many times and the results are not pleasant so I do my normal N/S (WTG) and then a S/N (ATG) and thats it and don't have any issues, on the days I want a true BBS I might do a XTG as well but have been pretty happy with what I am doing.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Try holding moving the razor in one direction and moving your chin in the other to help maintain a shallow angle. If you aren't careful you can end up scraping the whiskers off.

(speaking as a person who does the shaving, not as a person who owns the face ...)

the chin was really problematic for me for ages. After heaps of trial and error, here's how I do it:

- don't skimp on oil in the pre shave
- leave it til last to get the best from the shaving soap etc
- shave straight down from lip to point of chin
- I can only do across the grain from each side towards the centre, I can't do it any further than that, and certainly not ATG!

He's got a really strong chin with a 'sort of' cleft; and he can't really get his lip pulled behind his teeth to get the skin as taut as I'd like it, so that's how I do it.
Additionally he's got really strong whiskers, and while his chin's never gonna be shaved as close as the rest of his face, I figure he hasn't really got much to complain about seeing as how I'm doing all the work and he's just sitting there with a whiskey, lol

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Clearly I'm not a Lenno. I manage to move my chin so I can catch what I need coming down from my lip and then moving my chin a bit so that I can capture the rest with an up stroke on my neck. I also find that a little side to side starting from the centre of my chin helps.

It took me a while to figure out how to get a decent shave around the chin area. What worked for me was short, buffing type strokes in different directions. The hair on my chin grows a bit wild in relation to direction so I had to develop a shaving method that would deal with it.

On each pass I try to first pull the skin on my chin as fr as I can towards my mouth, then shave on the flat. Then I pull my skin down and back towards my throat to shave on the flat behind and below my chin. I am old and saggy enough that by doing this I can avoid shaving on the curve.

Another strategy that seems to work for the chin is to do a first pass with a DE or SE and then do a second pass on the chin with a SR. It is going through the copper wire thick chin stubble on the first pass that is so difficult. The first pass with the DE/SE covers that...then develop some muscle memory with a second pass with a SR. Seems to work fine. Eventually won't need the first pass with a DE/SE.

Top Bottom