What's new

TOBS Sandalwood

I just took delivery of some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream. I had ordered the sample pack from TOBS and out of the 17 or so samples, that was the one I liked the most. It smells so good. I have already had a shave with it and it is the best shave cream of any I have tried to this date. I am a newbie to this sport so I have only tried 20 or so scents. I am partial to lime and I like my RazoRock and my Castle and Forbes lime shave soaps; but, this TOBS is magnificent. My wife is partial to the TOBS Jermyn Street collection so I plan on ordering a tub of that as well.

TOBS Sandalwood is one of my favorite scents. I've sampled most of them and found that I also really like their Lavender shaving cream.
For me it seems the trick to TOBS is adding a LOT of water. It's not enough to just get a thick lather it needs to have a sheen to it. That's when it finally starts getting slick.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. I got a Lavender in my sample pack. I haven't tried it yet. I will give it a shot today.

Okay, just got done with my shave. I used the TOBS lavender. What an awesome scent!:thumbup1: I got a great lather out of an almond sized piece. I bowl lathered it and had enough for 4 passes, maybe 5. It was getting a little thin after 4; but then again I used two separate brushes. I am really glad I tried the Lavender scent. It doesn't linger as long as my TOBS sandalwood; but it performs just as well. I can't it smell right now, which is maybe 1/2 hour after my shave; but, oh what a wonderful scent while I was shaving. The tip about using lots of water was right on. I haven't tried it with other TOBS; but, with the lavender it was nice and slick. I have been alternating between a Maggard V2 and a V3 for a couple of weeks. This morning was a V3 with a brand new Personna Blue. I got a good shave. Not the best; but, I am still a noobie at this DE stuff. I think it is my technique that needs improving, not my equipment (no comments :biggrin:). My brush was my Semogue 1250 for the first two passes and my Razorock Monster for the last two passes. I am loving me that Semogue 1250 (Thanks Jarvick). I may be a boar bristle guy. I thought for sure I would be a synthetic lover. The more I use it the better I like it. Go figure. After rinsing, I applied some Razorock Alum and then finished it off with some Gillette After Shave gel. I haven't gotten around to trying different after shaves yet; but, that is in my future. I am just "okay" with the Gillette. I mean it does the job. I like it; but, there must be something better. Well at least the price is right. Once I get a little more comfortable with my razor choice, my brush choice and my shave cream I will venture into the after shave market.

I have about 15 more TOBS samples to try. What should be next?

It's been about an hour now since my shave and my face seems to be a little dryer than I am used to. I don't know if it is the alum (which I just started using) or the TOBS lavender.

I just took delivery of some Proraso Red

$proraso-red-nourishing-shave-cream-mug-popout.png

I got it from Walmart, no taxes, no shipping, $6.99. I didin't need a shave; but, I couldn't wait. I took a shower and lathered up. I used my Silver Tip no name from China and my RazoRock Plissoft brushes. It smells great and feels great. I will try a shave with it tomorrow.

I just took delivery of some Proraso Red

View attachment 676876

I got it from Walmart, no taxes, no shipping, $6.99. I didin't need a shave; but, I couldn't wait. I took a shower and lathered up. I used my Silver Tip no name from China and my RazoRock Plissoft brushes. It smells great and feels great. I will try a shave with it tomorrow.

Two excellent choices of Sandalwood. The TOBS Sandalwood is excellent, and if you pair it with the aftershaves it's a winner! Take a look at Stirling also. They're in Arkansas, and are a veteran owned company. I see you're a vet yourself, so I point it out. That's not the only reason though. They make a truly bad-assed product! They're soaps, not creams, so the lathering teqnique is different, but you'll love their stuff also!

I looked up the address of the Stirling soap company. It looks like they operate out of two garages. I like that. I was heading that way in a few weeks and I wanted to stop by to try out some product. I guess I will email the owner as it doesn't look as if they have a "store front".

2846 Old S State Hwy 109
Booneville, AR 72927

Yeah, that's them. I love their stuff. I've gone a bit overboard lately, so I have to use stuff up and make room for more. I've tried: Stirling Green, Executive Man, Stirling Spice, Sharp Dressed Man, and Clubman. My preference is in that order as well. They did away with Green, but Executive Man is a damn fine scent also! Check the out! You won't regret it!

When I first started I bought some TOBS Sandalwood. It is still my favorite scent. It is in fact the only cream I own. I don't think it is as good performance wise as almost any of the "Croaps" I have though. Man it sure smells awesome though.

You can easily add too much water to it so you have to find the sweet spot, but that's true of any soap.

TOBS Sandalwood is a beast of a soap. It smells great, lathers great, has great slickness, and is just an all around savage.

I don't use creams much anymore but if I went back to creams, I would be using TOBS Sandalwood. The best scent of any soap I tried.

If you like the scent of Sandalwood, I would suggest you try Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream. It is thicker then TOBS. I would not say better in performance. However, the scent is amazing. Wait until they have a coupon.

+1 for Stirling. Amazing, amazing, amazing soap.

Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream is $15.45 on jet.com, free shipping , no tax, another 15% discount if your order is more than $31.

Top Bottom