What's new

Trigodon Turquoise Dream Shaving Soap - My Experience

I came upon this soap while googling for shaving soaps available in India. A quick check with Badgerandblade confirmed that a few members had indeed tried it and had recommended it in general. The soap was being offered at Trigodon's website as also Flipkart (India's equivalent of Amazon). Strangely, Trigodon's website mentions the ingredients as consisting of "considerable amount of coconut oil, shea butter and glycerin," but no mention is made about the kind of fragrance. While the Flipkart listing of the same soap indicates that the fragrance contains "Lime, Laraha, Vanilla ". Anyways, this was the first time I had come across an artisinal soap "Made in India", so I quickly ordered one of their "Turquoise Dream".

The soap itself took more than a week to arrive ! And along with it came an unsigned note from Trigodon saying "we have replaced the packaging for all our soaps to what we think is a much more pleasing and charming design. Please note that this contains 5 more grams of soap than our earlier box" !

$trigodon.jpg

The soap smelled pleasant with a straightforward lemony/citrusy fragrance. I was anxious to try the soap and immediately lathered up. The ornate steel container is really large and lathering is easy with full splay of the brush. I gave it two passes with the Henckels 17. The lather was consistent and cushion was ok for the first pass but the second was a bit thinner and left the skin a tad drier than desired. Apparently the shea butter was not upto the task.

Overall, I was kinda disappointed in the soap. Sure it does its job but then so does the Godrej shaving round that comes for INR 20 (~30 cents). With a price tag of INR 720 all paid (equivalent to ~$11 approx), I would expect a soap to give me more than an ok shave. The fragrance department was a big letdown for me. Given the premium price tag, I was expecting a complex fragrance. However, pleasant as it was, the soap had a plain 'lemony' smell, with very little, if any, of the other fragrances (including Vanilla as claimed in in the list of ingredients) that I could detect. I strongly suspect I got the Trigodon Calm Seas instead of Turquoise Dream which I had ordered. The container swapping seems to corroborate. But really, the fragrance should have been more complex than being overwhelmingly "citrusy".

One can get far better options internationally in the $11 territory with marginal increase in shipping overheads, if importing into India. Sometimes even less. Back home the Biotique Bio Palmyra is a much much superior option for like INR ~200 ($3).

Probably the best thing about the soap is the container it comes in ! I was looking for a container for my "Blenheim Bouquet" refill and this might just serve the purpose as long as it doesnt rust.

Overall Rating - 3/5

Excellent review, [MENTION=73190]sydbarett[/MENTION]. What a beautiful soap tin!! I would be tempted to purchase the soap on the looks of the container itself!! Too bad that the soap did not perform to the standard that the container set.

Thanks for the review, I've been wanting to get some of this soap, I'm hoping they find a way to ship to the States. That is a nice container.

I would agree that the scent is very citrusy and lacks complexity. A bit of spice or some aromatic woodsy scents would have made it much more appealing.

Performance wise, I found it quite good. The lather remained thick and slick (you need to load generously with this one) and overall I was impressed during the shave.

Post shave was a little lacking for a soap with shea butter but not drying either.

The issue for me personally was that it caused a slight tingle to my skin so clearly, something didn't suit my skin but that's just me...I react to many scents.

Overall, I would give it a 3.5/5
The extra 0.5 to the OP score is that the lather didn't thin out for me and remained nice and rich.

That is a beautiful tin! Thank you for the very in-depth review, it was very good. I'm sorry to hear the scent was not very complex, I'm a huge scent fan so naturally that is an important component of a shave soap.

Great review. Slightly off topic, but inspired by your post, how great is this mug?
Man o man!! With blade-acquisition-disorder, then soap-acquisition-disorder, followed by brush-acquisition-disorder, now you're enabling my mug/bowl-acquisition-disorder. I can't afford all of these beautiful things!! I thought wet shaving was going to help me save money!!

Man o man!! With blade-acquisition-disorder, then soap-acquisition-disorder, followed by brush-acquisition-disorder, now you're enabling my mug/bowl-acquisition-disorder. I can't afford all of these beautiful things!! I thought wet shaving was going to help me save money!!

LOL ! You said it. Whenever I feel guilty on account of SAD and RAD, I console myself by saying that I have very few aftershaves and balms. That's where I have saved my money :tongue_sm

Thanks for the comments.:001_smile

Well, I suppose it isn't after the Arko we know. Probably made for someone called Arko (short for Arkadeb). But seeing that its a 350ml mug, it should be more than sufficient for lathering. Methinks, a must have for all Arko fans, Man or soap :001_smile

you need to load generously with this one

The issue for me personally was that it caused a slight tingle to my skin so clearly, something didn't suit my skin but that's just me...I react to many scents.

Probably, I went a bit nifty on the soap since I use mostly tallow based soaps which require minuscule amounts to whip up a faceful of lather.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Actually I was about to mention that the Lime-like fragrance seemed somewhat artificial/synthetic to me. That might explain your issue. But then again I'm not sure.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks rockclimber. The soap could work for someone who likes a strong smelling Lime soap but then again he should be able to get better alternatives.

Great review [MENTION=73190]sydbarett[/MENTION]. First soap other than Godrej shaving round that I'm hearing of in India.

*Off topic question, are Bangladeshi shaving creams available in Kolkata?

First soap other than Godrej shaving round that I'm hearing of in India.

Thanks. Have you tried the Biotique Bio Palmyra ? Its one of the best non tallow soaps I have come across. The latherability rivals that of tallow soaps and the moisturising is outstanding. All yours for less than 200 rupees ! I often sprinkle a few drops of my favorite fragrances before using it.

As for Bangladeshi creams, I'm not too sure. If you mean the likes of Cute and Solzar, probably they should be available in some nook or cranny but definitely not in wide circulation.

Thanks. Have you tried the Biotique Bio Palmyra ? Its one of the best non tallow soaps I have come across. The latherability rivals that of tallow soaps and the moisturising is outstanding. All yours for less than 200 rupees ! I often sprinkle a few drops of my favorite fragrances before using it.

As for Bangladeshi creams, I'm not too sure. If you mean the likes of Cute and Solzar, probably they should be available in some nook or cranny but definitely not in wide circulation.

The Biotique cream is the best shaving cream according to my Father. I bought him a tub a few months ago and he absolutely loves it!

He has experienced several brands of creams and whilst he does have a rotation (forced upon him by...me!), he loves the Biotique the most!

Thanks for the candid review. INR 700.00 seems way too over priced for this cream vs. all the plethora of stuff easily available in India. Yea, India is a shaving cream paradise. Specially the Biotique one. How you guys use the Biotique cream, if you want to face lather..?

Palmyra is one of my favourites too. I will be in Cal for a few weeks next month so was just curious about the Bangladeshi creams Kool, Tibet fresh, Genstar and Cute.

The Biotique cream is the best shaving cream according to my Father.
It is indeed a fantastic shaving cream. The only issue is being a croap it does not lend itself to long term storage. My tub is almost 3 years old but thankfully its not showing too many signs of depletion in quality.

How you guys use the Biotique cream, if you want to face lather..?
I am a face latherer myself. I usually smear a pinch my cheeks and go onto lather. Alternatively, I just touch the croap with the tip of my brush before lathering.

Top Bottom