What's new

Motorcycle related irrrtation

I find that my motorcycle helmet gives me the red bumps on my cheeks and some really bad ones on my throat from the strap. I have sensitive skin to begin with, but sometimes it's worse than others.

Does anyone else get this? Is there anything that can be done to minimize it?

Last edited:
I have never had this happen, but if it were me I'd try a few things:
1. Be sure strap is not too tight
2. Wash the strap with some soap and water to remove dirt and sweat
3. Try some powder on the strap or face
4. Wash face regularly and apply witch hazel

I know some of my helmets in the past had a terry cloth like covering over the nylon strap. I wonder if there is something aftermarket available to slip over the strap?

Good luck and enjoy your rides!

EDIT: Something like this is what I was trying to explain:
http://www.chinskin.com/

Last edited:
I don't ride motorcycles, but from my experience in the military a long time ago may help. If you can change the strap, change it to a chin strap. There is less movement of the strap and it still holds the helmet securely.

I have never had this happen, but if it were me I'd try a few things:
1. Be sure strap is not too tight
2. Wash the strap with some soap and water to remove dirt and sweat
3. Try some powder on the strap or face
4. Wash face regularly and apply witch hazel

I know some of my helmets in the past had a terry cloth like covering over the nylon strap. I wonder if there is something aftermarket available to slip over the strap?

Good luck and enjoy your rides!

EDIT: Something like this is what I was trying to explain:
http://www.chinskin.com/
I always make sure the strap isn't too tight, otherwise it triggers my gag reflex lol.

I really like the idea of powdering the strap. Going to try this tonight.

May invest in some witch hazel as well.

Thanks!

I don't ride motorcycles, but from my experience in the military a long time ago may help. If you can change the strap, change it to a chin strap. There is less movement of the strap and it still holds the helmet securely.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to replace the straps on either of my helmets. :(

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Moleskin on the strap, or some other soft material to take away a bit of the scratchiness of the strap.

Good quality helmets have better quality fabrics. I suggest you to clean the padding of the helmet in a washing machine to get rid of the sweat, do this as much as possible in a hot days, maybe buy another set of padding to allow drying time, consider that a new padding will feel more tightly on the head at first (most sellers offer to buy the padding)
The brand of the helmet matters a lot! If it's not shoei/arai/x-lite/agv ect. Consider upgrading, and be sure the fabric is antibacterial. cheaper helmets got cheaper fabrics. And if you feel like buying a bit bigger size helmet just don't, safety first.

Good helmets have removable liners or at least removable cheek pads. Get one and remove and wash them regularly. The straps don't come off so you have to wash that in place. Shampoo is great for cleaning, it's gentle and designed to clean off the oil your skin puts out. Keeping your helmet clean will help keep your skin clear. I've had these issues but usually only on multi-day trips.

Scott

Good helmets have removable liners or at least removable cheek pads. Get one and remove and wash them regularly. The straps don't come off so you have to wash that in place. Shampoo is great for cleaning, it's gentle and designed to clean off the oil your skin puts out. Keeping your helmet clean will help keep your skin clear. I've had these issues but usually only on multi-day trips.

Scott

^^^What he said. Use a quality lid and you'll be fine. My Shoei RF-1200 has removable cloth flaps that cover most of the strap. These, along with the entire helmet liner, are removable and easily washed with shampoo, then allowed to air dry. As someone who doesn't have a car (the wife does, but I just have bikes) and lives in hot Arizona, I've had to wash my helmet liners countless times. A good helmet makes doing so MUCH easier. Buy once, cry once, as they say. After all, what's your head worth? :001_smile I tend to spend more on helmets because I wear them for an hour+ every day, so they're both protective gear as well as my means of allowing good airflow and comfort. More expensive helmets cost more because they're lighter, quieter, more comfortable, and often have other features that make owning and wearing them more enjoyable. Sure they're expensive, but if you ride as frequently as I do, you can figure out the daily cost of owning a quality helmet. In my case (well, not really, I got to write my Shoei off on my taxes, haha!), it comes out to about $0.37/day over a five year period (including the cost of a mirrored/tinted visor), which is considered the lifespan of a helmet, if properly cared for.

I have to agree with basher and Scott. I'm another commuter that rides about 45 minutes each way every day. I end up washing the helmet liner about once a month and have never had a problem.

Top Bottom