What's new

My First Vintage Gillette! How'd I Do? Tips?

I have a Maggard razor with a V3 head which I love but I wanted a Gillette Adjustable after seeing a bunch out there restored and hearing how great they are.

I picked this Gillette 1966 Slim Adjustable (date code L 1) on eBay for $25. I thought it looked pretty good for the price. Last night I soaked it in hot water and Dawn for a bit, then scrubbed it down with a nylon brush I had. Looks pretty good if I say so myself! I then tossed it in the dishwasher on the high temp/sanitize button. I was going to polish it up today with some Flitz but is there anything else you recommend? The knob clicks well to each of the numbers and the doors open nicely. Maybe some mineral oil?

Before:
$Gil Old.jpg
$Gil Old.jpg

After:

$IMG_20160727_090004609.jpg
$IMG_20160727_090029950.jpg
$IMG_20160727_090054414.jpg

Actually, there's not much more that you need to do. I've heard that mineral oil can gunk up the inside of the razor. You might just try a shot of WD40, but it probably doesn't need even that. Just do what you did from time to time--maybe every six months or so.

Actually, there's not much more that you need to do. I've heard that mineral oil can gunk up the inside of the razor. You might just try a shot of WD40, but it probably doesn't need even that. Just do what you did from time to time--maybe every six months or so.

I thought that Mineral Oil would gunk it because it's so thick! Thanks. I can't wait to shave with it!!

I have 2 fatboys and 2 slims, they really doont need much maintenance, just soak and clean with a tooth brush and dawn once a month. If you want to disenfect i do a 10 min soak in alcohol every 3 months or barbasol for 2 to 3 min every 3 months. Best razors Ive used so far, I also have used my 46/47 aristocrat that ranks tops with a feather blade. Only use the aristocrat for special occasions tho.

Excellent score. These are great razors. My favorites are the adjustables. Start on about 5 and move up or down from there.

Top Bottom