What's new

Strop usage

Hi all.

I've finally bought my self a traditional straight as appose to my Feather DX Japanese style.

I bought a fully shave ready Gold Dollar off a ebay vendor with a double strop (canvas and leather)

What side of each strop do I use the rough softer side of the leather or the smooth harder side?

Hope you're all well
Marty

The canvas side is used first to ''clean'' the edge and the smooth side of the leather is used last to strop or straighten/polish the edge. There are many videos on u tube showing the techniques. Drop in the straights forum and you will find everything you could ever want to know and then some about straights, honing and stropping. Good luck.

Great stuff.

It was just which side of the leather and Canvas side I use. Can't find it mentioned? Or do I use all 4 sides?

I'll check the straight form

Thanks

Use the "smoother" side of the leather, flip the strop over (both the leather and canvas) and use the side of the canvas that is facing up/out. This will make it easiest for you, you can strop on the canvas then turn the strop around and the smooth leather will be facing up ready for use. Really the canvas should be ok for use on both sides on both sides but you want to use the side that face outward so daily use is easiest and you don't run the risk that you get all bound up trying to flip the leather back out of the way.

I am sure you technically CAN use all 4 sides for some purpose but most users follow a regimen of some number of laps on canvas followed by some number of leather - shave - finish with a number of laps on canvas to dry the blade. I typically do 25 on the fabric followed by 50 on leather then do 15 or 20 on the fabric after I shave. I stick to 25/50 or 30/60 with my Gold dollar blades and get perfectly fine results. I don't add any grit or compound to my daily strops (fabric or leather) but I do have various fabrics and balsa woods loaded with different compounds that I will use from time to time to freshen up an edge or liven up an already sharp edge.

Top Bottom