What's new

Nearly Wept

Oh. My. God. Please keep this thread updated! Best of luck to you!

I will absolutely post an update.
Someone else mentioned Goodwill throwing them away...it is true most of them do this. I also have asked if they will hold them and receive a donation, but they declined. Yet, the one across the city sells them online.

gear up -

proxy.php

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the antique dealers around here sell razors for three times what they are worth. I can't imagine who would buy a $30 Tech, but they sell like hot cakes. There is a huge market for DE razors here.
Nebraska sounds a lot like Missouri. I can't believe what people are asking for dirty or ratted out razors! Of course, they don't sell them ever, they just keep them for sale forever. When you make them an offer, they won't budge from the price they are asking. Crazy.

My FIL was a trash hauler for decades. You wouldn't believe what people throw out! He has brought home some really nice stuff, including a nice Seiko watch, gold jewelry, new bbq's and camping equipment, unused but new bikes, etc.
Now that he has retired, he misses getting so much new stuff all the time.

Last edited:
Both here and in FL, it is rare to find any shaving relating items up for sale. I subscribe to an estate sale mailing list and have yet to see one razor, brush, etc. in two years. In fact, in the last few estate sales I went to were run by outside companies. I asked if they ever have shaving relating items and was told, no for health reasons they do not make these available!

Both here and in FL, it is rare to find any shaving relating items up for sale. I subscribe to an estate sale mailing list and have yet to see one razor, brush, etc. in two years. In fact, in the last few estate sales I went to were run by outside companies. I asked if they ever have shaving relating items and was told, no for health reasons they do not make these available!

Tell them you're gonna recycle them!

So very true - my local Goodwill throws razors away because of health reasons - I have told them I would be willing to buy anything they get but they have yet to call me back.

Interesting. I had yet to see one at my local Goodwill, so I asked one of the guys if they get them and put them out. He said they put one out last week.

There was a story (not sure if here or another forum) a guy told about his father having a Toggle which gave him trouble (opened during shaving), so he took a hammer and destroyed it so nobody else would have to suffer using it :crying:

There was a story (not sure if here or another forum) a guy told about his father having a Toggle which gave him trouble (opened during shaving), so he took a hammer and destroyed it so nobody else would have to suffer using it :crying:
[MENTION=71834]KQY61[/MENTION]

Stan's father I believe. Could be wrong, though.

Hi,

Oh, yes. That was my Dad. Shortly after I first started shaving, I found this Toggle. It had the issue of wanting to pop open way too easily. When it did, it liked to make a cut. So, Dad 'fixed' it for me. Well, it had been a gift, and it wasn't right.....

Stan

I went to my local good will last week, and asked what they did with old razors that turned up in donation boxes. the employee was clearly not all there, as for some reason I had to explain to him for 30 minutes I meant shaving razors, not USED RAZOR BLADES FROM UTILITY KNIVES.
I incur this more often than one would expect therefore I often bring a demo TTO with me and the light goes on for them.

Awful. I have a guy at a local flea market that I get razors from (that's how I got my SE Bullet tip, SE gem 1912, and my 61' Fatboy), and I have trouble getting him to be consistent, but he's never just tossed stuff away. If he told me he had packaged razors that he threw away, I might be serving 20 to life.

I've been to numerous antique stores across the Bluegrass state, and the one thing they always seem to tell me about old razors (straight or DE) is that they sell so quickly that they have trouble keeping them in stock for any amount of time. The only ones that seem to hang around are those that are either war priced or just beyond repair. One antiques store that I used to hit locally always had a bunch of straights in stock for those very reasons. A cracked blade W&B with two big chips on the blade? $120. A partially rusted, broken scale, chipped Wostenholm pipe? $90. Found a pretty nice Genco Easy Aces with the original coffin. Priced at $350. Too rich for me. The DEs, by sharp contrast, were seemingly always cheap priced. I picked up a nice Fatboy and a 40s Super Speed there for $20.

Razors in the original packaging...tossed out. I'd be dumpster diving for sure.

I'm still negotiating the deal, but a guy wanted to throw away a DE and a straight because 'nobody still uses these old things' but his wife stopped him and then saw my wanted ad and contacted me. I suspect a lot of razors have just been thrown out and gone to the landfill.

Good to know, Jim. I've considered checking out some of the sales out in Sun Lakes, but just haven't had the time yet. I might actually go to the Women's Ministry event this fall. They turned what used to be Believe Boutique into some sort of Junker's Paradise event.

Got a call from my new connection...no razors at any sales he ran this weekend. He has another sale this coming weekend AND he has spoke to two of his fellow estate sale operators and they will let him know if they have any.

Still hopeful this will pan out...worst case...I had some great conversations with someone who enjoys old things.

I will keep you all posted.

Top Bottom