What's new

Tabac Cream vs Tabac Shave Stick

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Tabac Shave stick vs the cream....

So, I have used the cream 3 times so far. I must say, I do love the scent of Tabac!

Ok, back to myquestion.....

I've used the cream 3 times so far and I have noticed that there really is no residual slickness left after a pass. I have tried adding more water, but hasn't really helped yet. I use about an almond sized amount and face lather. I've noticed others have mentioned this as well.

Does the cream and the stick perform the same? Should I expect the shave stick to do this as well?

I do get a great shave when using this though. And I can see why people love it. I understand know what cushion is thanks this cream [emoji2]

Thanks everyone

It's been some time since I've used Tabac cream, but only recall liking it.

Of course everyone knows that Tabac is famous for their shave soap. The Tabac stick is that very soap, just in a different form. I think that you are in for a real Tabac treat.

It's one of the slickest soaps I've used. Never tried the cream. I bet you like the stick.
Ok, you guys convinced me.....Tabac stick for my next suave shave [emoji41]

Any tips got using the stick? Just wet it and rib it all over my beard right? Then go to town with my brush and make an awesome lather [emoji1]

I haven't tried the cream, but if the stick is anything to go by, the cream will be on my shaving "bucket list" when I eventually use up enough of my hoard and restock.

The 100g stick is in a sturdy plastic tube dispenser which reminds me of bakelite, and is pushed upwards from the base, it's got hardly any "give" in it and if I'm ever unlucky enough to drop it, I'd fully expect it to bounce and remain unscathed.
The screw-cap is made from the same plastic and opens smoothly and closes smoothly and tightly.
The soap itself easily whips up into a rich face lather which is slick and has plenty of cushion.
Tabac Original has been my favourite aftershave ever since I bought a 300ml bottle more than 11 years ago - I've still got the same bottle and use it occasionally for nights out.
I was half expecting the soap to have the same scent - I was wrong, but far from disappointed. The scent of the soap definitely has the same DNA as the aftershave, but I find it to be more bittersweet and "soapy", for that reason I find it a bit cloying first thing in the morning, so I prefer to use the soap for shaving in the afternoon or evening ready for a special night out - a generous splash of Tabac aftershave puts the icing on the cake.
Unless you need a bowl, or just want to add the very nice ceramic Tabac bowl to your collection, I think the stick is a good option, you can easily cut a piece off the stick to grate and press it into a small container to make a puck - that way you'll have the best of both worlds.

Ok, you guys convinced me.....Tabac stick for my next suave shave [emoji41]

Any tips got using the stick? Just wet it and rib it all over my beard right? Then go to town with my brush and make an awesome lather [emoji1]

You got it.

The beauty of shave sticks is that your beard literally pulls the shave soap of the stick. In the mirror, you'll see the soap load on right on your beard. Dip your brush in sink water and start to build lather. Add small bits of water to the lather as needed. You should end up with a lovely lather on your face plus plenty of lather left in your brush for additional passes.

You'll be able to judge if you've loaded too much (or too little) soap on your face by how much lather is left in your brush.

The shave cream and shave stick are a bit different in my opinion. I might not be the best reference as I prefer shave sticks over everything else.

On how to use it, the tutorial should point you in the right direction: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/40-Tutorial-how-to-use-a-shaving-stick

BTW, the shave stick and shave soap have the same formulation, it's a different shape, that's all.
Thanks a lot gents! I'll be shaving tonight and now I can't wait to try this and compare it to the cream

I always SuperLather Tabac cream and soap together whenever I shave. And I reserve this combo for the dead of winter.

If I had to choose just one to stand alone, I would go with the cream. I find it performs just a little bit better in terms of slickness and cushion, and the fragrance is a notch above the soap.

But put the two together and its perfect. In fact, for the best Tabac experience, get the whole range ... Soap, cream, ASL, EdC, deo-stick, bath soap, shampoo, etc. NOTHING GOES BETTER WITH TABAC EXCEPT MORE TABAC.

I always SuperLather Tabac cream and soap together whenever I shave. And I reserve this combo for the dead of winter.

If I had to choose just one to stand alone, I would go with the cream. I find it performs just a little bit better in terms of slickness and cushion, and the fragrance is a notch above the soap.

But put the two together and its perfect. In fact, for the best Tabac experience, get the whole range ... Soap, cream, ASL, EdC, deo-stick, bath soap, shampoo, etc. NOTHING GOES BETTER WITH TABAC EXCEPT MORE TABAC.
[emoji106]

Ok.....I must say that the stick performed better than the cream, at least for me. I did go a little over board and rubbed to much of the soap on and didn't hey it all worked in, so there was some soap sticking to my razor specially through mustache area.

But, all in all....I love Tabac! I think I will always have this in my den.

Have both, the stick / soap is totally different to the cream. Apart from the scent, they have nothing in common, the soap is fantastic, cream is poor.

Have both, the stick / soap is totally different to the cream. Apart from the scent, they have nothing in common, the soap is fantastic, cream is poor.
With my limited experience, I'd have to agree, but I still got a good shave using the cream, but yeah, the stick is miles better IMO

Tabac soap and stick are great. Very nice scent. I think that the cream doesn't contain tallow. That's the difference between Tabac soap and cream.

I actually like the cream. It takes more than other creams, but the lather is heavy and dense. I find it very cushioning and moisturizing. You might be right about the residual slickness, but there is always the second pass! Having said that, the soap is among the best out there.

Top Bottom