What's new

Dry v Wet v Marco

I recently aquired a puck of Stirling soap which I am really enjoying. I find that I get the best lather using the Marco method, i.e. using a soaking wet brush. I have tried the dry method and find that it is difficult to get the consistency I want when I face lather. The wet method is also difficult, I can't tell if the brush is too wet or too dry. The Marco method works well but it seems to use a lot of soap ( I could easily get five passes out of the brush). Do the other methods use less soap and if so which is the better method to work on?

I use synthetic brushes, so I always use the (relatively) dry method because Synthetics don't hold water. I have never had a problem lathering Stirling soaps, but I generally need to add water as I lather. Stirling soaps are superb, lather easily, and provide superbly slick lather.

I generally find that the Marco method is the best method for lathering almost anything. I don't worry about how much soap it uses. I'm after a good shave, and I don't mind using a little extra soap if that is what it takes to get an excellent shave.

I use a modified Marco method. The brush has soaked for a minute and then I shake it once or twice (depending on the size) to remove a little water. You can read about it here. Although the post deals with bowl lathering I use the same method when face lathering.

I have tried the dry method and find that it is difficult to get the consistency I want when I face lather. The wet method is also difficult, I can't tell if the brush is too wet or too dry.

As with most things I've come to learn in the wet shaving world - use what works for you. I found that the Marco Method produced too inconsistent lather for me. So I went with a dry brush (use exclusively boar) and I bloom my soap with about a tablespoon of water. I practiced lathering in my hand and adding water by dipping the tips of the brush in water until I produced that cake frosting like lather. For me this is more consistent because I can add just as much water as the soap needs rather than starting out with a lot of water. But this works for me. May not work for everyone. Part of the reason I like this hobby - experimentation.

Soap is cheap compared to a lousy shave. I don't think about how much soap I use, but I have enough soap stashed away to last me a few years. I tend toward loading a dry brush because I find that the Marco method makes my final lather too wet. In my experience, the different loading methods don't change how much product I use. I typically average about 1g for hard soaps, 2g for soft soaps, and two almonds for creams.

I use synthetic brushes, so I always use the (relatively) dry method because Synthetics don't hold water. I have never had a problem lathering Stirling soaps, but I generally need to add water as I lather. Stirling soaps are superb, lather easily, and provide superbly slick lather.
Indeed!

I start with a damp brush, load heavily (adding a drop or 2 to the puck as required) until a have a pasty lather. I then face-lather, adding water 2-3 drops at a time, until slick and shiny. Stirling is a little on the thirsty side IME, but when I dial it in, it is unbeatable (even better than my beloved Tabac).

I use the Marco Method for (of course) Cella and my few veggie soaps. All other soaps are harder tallow-based, and I use the above "Stirling" method.

My $0.02...

Indeed!

I start with a damp brush, load heavily (adding a drop or 2 to the puck as required) until a have a pasty lather. I then face-lather, adding water 2-3 drops at a time, until slick and shiny. Stirling is a little on the thirsty side IME, but when I dial it in, it is unbeatable (even better than my beloved Tabac).

I use the Marco Method for (of course) Cella and my few veggie soaps. All other soaps are harder tallow-based, and I use the above "Stirling" method.

My $0.02...

I think you are wrong here.
That info is worth way more than 2 cents! :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I recently aquired a puck of Stirling soap which I am really enjoying. I find that I get the best lather using the Marco method, i.e. using a soaking wet brush. I have tried the dry method and find that it is difficult to get the consistency I want when I face lather. The wet method is also difficult, I can't tell if the brush is too wet or too dry. The Marco method works well but it seems to use a lot of soap ( I could easily get five passes out of the brush). Do the other methods use less soap and if so which is the better method to work on?

Me too... :001_cool:

I'm a huge fan of Stirling soaps, some of the slickest protection out there IMO. I usually bloom the soap it's on the hard side more than soft. With some of the residual water from the bloom and shake out most of the water from the brush load up and do a face lather then adding water as I see fit for the lather I'm building. I swear the last time I used Stirling I could have gotten 6 passes and had a BBS. Like I said big fan here. The way I do it doesn't seem to use a lot of soap. I keep thinking it will take forever to use what I have.
I'm on a lockdown from the wife on soaps but the next I buy, Stirling will be at the top of the list.

i use a modified marco method. The brush has soaked for a minute and then i shake it once or twice (depending on the size) to remove a little water. You can read about it here. although the post deals with bowl lathering i use the same method when face lathering.
x1

Spot on. I do something similar. Wet the brush, but squeeze out most of the water before starting to lather. Also, if you use a lot of soap, no big deal. Soap is cheap.

I use a modified Marco method. The brush has soaked for a minute and then I shake it once or twice (depending on the size) to remove a little water. You can read about it here. Although the post deals with bowl lathering I use the same method when face lathering.

I have been using a modified Marco method for a while now and I find that it is the best way to get a great lather out of any soap. If you feel you are using too much soap, cut back on how much you are loading. But let's face it, if you are worried about how much soap you are using you must be doing better than the rest of us. I believe someone else said that soap is cheap...well it is comparatively...at least for the most part. If you are truly worried about how much soap you use, I am sure there are plenty of us who would be happy to give some away...myself included. I have been at this almost two years now, and aside from a tub of TOBS Mr. Taylor's cream and a bottle of Fine American Blend (I could bathe in that stuff) I have yet to finish anything off. I have given plenty away, but I have more soap than I probably know what to do with. Yet I still buy more.

At any rate...I tend to go on tirades...sorry...I hope you find your sweet spot with loading and lathering soap.

Whatever works! IMHO the main thing is to get a great shave, how much soap I use is a secondary consideration!

Top Bottom