What's new

When to toss a blade?

I'm just curious on how long it usually takes a blade to dull. I see some people on here saying 3-6 shaves. When I used ​Astras I could feel tugging after maybe the 3rd shave. But, after switching to Feather blades (2 weeks ago) I'm still on the same blade I started with! I don't feel any tugging at all, and it still glides over my face smoothly. I wash it after each use, and sometimes pat it down with a towel. Should I toss the blade? What if this is a magical blade that never dulls?:lol:

SN: I shave 4-5 times a week.

Consider yourself lucky. For me, blade longevity depends on the blade and the razor. Normally with a Feather, I get two shaves before I have to toss it. However, with a Feather AS-D2 razor the blade lasts up to seven shaves.

That's all individual, I think. If I feel the blade starting to tug, I'll finish the shave and toss it. With the blades I favor, that's after 3-4 shaves. I never use one more than four times, because an uncomfortable shave just isn't worth it. I shave daily, so I use about two blades per week. I can live with that. If you're still getting close, comfortable shaves after seven times, keep going till it dulls. You'll know when it's time to change.

I shave with a blade until it stats feeling uncomfortable. Usually this is in the middle of a shave.

I toss a blade when it starts to tug or if I want to try something different (generally after 7 or more shaves).

Because of tugging or sanitary reasons?
Nothing to do with sanitary reasons ... its just that I don't believe in pushing a DE blade beyond 2 shaves. I don't see any reason to increase blade longevity further than that. By staying within the 2 shave window, I always know that my shave will be free from tugging, irritation, redness and burn.

I have 21 face and 21 head shaves on a Polsilver SI. All have been BBS shaves. Every shave is nice and smooth. The blade is nearing it's end. When a blade is done for me, it simply doesn't cut hair anymore. I never experience tugging. I get about the same numbers from an Astra SP.

If the blade still cuts, then continue to shave with it. The only way for "you" to know when to toss a blade is to shave with it until it doesn't cut stubble anymore.

That's all individual, I think. If I feel the blade starting to tug, I'll finish the shave and toss it. With the blades I favor, that's after 3-4 shaves. I never use one more than four times, because an uncomfortable shave just isn't worth it. I shave daily, so I use about two blades per week. I can live with that. If you're still getting close, comfortable shaves after seven times, keep going till it dulls. You'll know when it's time to change.

I supposed I could have just gotten lucky with this blade.. Who knows, but I'll use it until it feels uncomfortable!

I shave with a blade until it stats feeling uncomfortable. Usually this is in the middle of a shave.

It starts feeling uncomfortable with the first shave?

I have 21 face and 21 head shaves on a Polsilver SI. All have been BBS shaves. Every shave is nice and smooth. The blade is nearing it's end. When a blade is done for me, it simply doesn't cut hair anymore. I never experience tugging. I get about the same numbers from an Astra SP.

If the blade still cuts, then continue to shave with it. The only way for "you" to know when to toss a blade is to shave with it until it doesn't cut stubble anymore.

My thinking is to toss the blade after a week, since I'm always reading "3-6 shaves".. Still, using a blade for 3 weeks seems like a lot! I feel like I'd have so much tugging, but I guess we'll see with this blade:thumbup1:

It starts feeling uncomfortable with the first shave?

My thinking is to toss the blade after a week, since I'm always reading "3-6 shaves".. Still, using a blade for 3 weeks seems like a lot! I feel like I'd have so much tugging, but I guess we'll see with this blade[emoji106]1:
If you want to see higher numbers, visit the Excalibur thread.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=431416

Edit

BTW...21 face and head shaves equals about 63 face shaves.

Last edited:
I don't wait for a blade to dull ... I toss it after 2 shaves, regardless of brand.

I'm the same. Blades are very cheap and having it tug is not worth the uncomfortable shaving experience just to stretch out a blade life. Thus, I don't normally let the blade tell me when it's dull, I've already pitched it and picked up a new one. The most I ever go is 3. Usually pitch all blades after two shaves and some after just one.

As it goes, Ymmv. Some members will give a blade 10, 20, or even more shaves and suggest some blades smooth out after a few shaves. So it's really up to you.

Last edited:
I use a blade only once. I've been cursed with having sensitive skin but also coarse hair that grows in more than a few directions and my demand is a bbs shave every time. This does not run in our family, my father and his father can get away with pretty much any brand. So when sampling and shopping blades, I try to keep the cost to under 8 cents a piece and so far have about 10 brands that work, versus about 25 that do not.

I usually get about 4 shaves out of a blade before I feel it starting to tug and pull. DE blades are so cheap, theres no reason to try to stretch out the life of a blade.

As long as it is giving you good shaves, leave it be. I get 8 good shaves out of a feather, but I went to 57 with a German Wilkinson Sword. Sometimes you find a blade that just won't quit, don't look a gift horse in the mouth! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom