What's new

#14 Razors

I've read a lot about the #14 blanks and the very beautiful razors they create, mainly from Germany and Spain, Hoppe , Filarmonica etc (as well as the joker in the pack Japanese King Pelican #14).

I have now acquired a #14 from Terry of Sheffield and I haven't seen a Sheffield #14 before.
It 15/16 extra hollow (pics to follow).

So presumably Terry imported the blanks from Germany and ground them in Sheffield.

So has anybody seen Sheffield #14s before?

And this razor has got me so interested...

...What else do we know about the majestic #14s?

Well, you summed up my knowledge of #14s, blanks used by many manufacturers with the number 14 stamped on them. Ive been keeping an eye out for a Graef & Schmidt stamped 14 by JA Henckles to replace a blade in my 7 day set that was too far gone for Alfredo to salvage. Im curious to see if anyone can shed more light on the subject.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 146
Shaved with the Terry this morning and it was quite something:
proxy.php

I really like extra hollows and the shave with this was superb.
It's a big heavy thing eh?
I ended up resting my shaving arm on my other firearm for stability and this technique worked very well.

Haven't seen the "14" stamped in that place before.
As far as we know, the "14" blanks were all made by Herkenrath in Solingen Germany. They also owned the Ben Hur DEbrand, and later purchased Apollo. The blanks were sold to a large number of razormakers in Germany, France and Spain, and apparently England. These razormakers decided the grind and and tempered the steel, so also the hardness.
The "14" stands for the size: they were intended to be 7/8 razors although quite a lot of them reach 8/8.
I have a number of "14"s, German and Spanish, and they all shave terrific. Quite interesting, since some of the properties that are decisive for the shave are decided upon by a lot of different razormakers.

Haven't seen the "14" stamped in that place before.
As far as we know, the "14" blanks were all made by Herkenrath in Solingen Germany. They also owned the Ben Hur DEbrand, and later purchased Apollo. The blanks were sold to a large number of razormakers in Germany, France and Spain, and apparently England. These razormakers decided the grind and and tempered the steel, so also the hardness.
The "14" stands for the size: they were intended to be 7/8 razors although quite a lot of them reach 8/8.
I have a number of "14"s, German and Spanish, and they all shave terrific. Quite interesting, since some of the properties that are decisive for the shave are decided upon by a lot of different razormakers.

Thanks! That's such useful and interesting information.

When were these blanks made?
I'd guess the Terry is from the 1920's..

They've been made over quite a long period of time, judging from the fact that Filarmonica made "14"razors from the early 1900's well into the 1970's.

They've been made over quite a long period of time, judging from the fact that Filarmonica made "14"razors from the early 1900's well into the 1970's.

Thanks again.

These really are a classic design and I understand why people collect them.

The Terry #14 feels really good in the hand, especially with the double jimps.

Top Bottom