What's new

Onion Rings

Get a bag of soy flour and lightly dredge the onion rings in them before the batter. (dip the rings in milk or buttermilk first.)
Soy flour seems to be a little "stickier" than wheat flour and grabs the coating a little bit better. It also has a mild nutty flavor that is pretty good with most fried or crispy-baked foods.

BTW - store soy flour in the fridge.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't do them often but when I do, I use rice flour. I find that it's crispier than regular flour. I simply do a scramble egg, roll the onion in raw egg and then in the flour. Off to the fryer.

The recipe I use, uses 1 or 2 tablespoons of instant mashed potato powder with club soda, it really helps keep the crunch. I cant access it from work, but when I get home, ill post it up, it's a winner in my books.

Last edited:
Does soaking the cut onions in beer overnight help?

I usually soak the rings in water for at least 4 hours. I've heard you can soak the in milk, buttermilk, beer, etc. I think it helps them stay plump and juicy when fried. Also, the inner membrane comes off easier after the soak, which if you remove it it will help the batter stay on (since it shrinks when fried).

Does soaking the cut onions in beer overnight help?

I usually soak the rings in water for at least 4 hours. I've heard you can soak the in milk, buttermilk, beer, etc. I think it helps them stay plump and juicy when fried. Also, the inner membrane comes off easier after the soak, which if you remove it it will help the batter stay on (since it shrinks when fried).

I believe soaking them in milk is a French cooking technique that reduces the sharpness of the onions making them a bit sweeter.

Now the next question:

THICK cut or THIN cut rings?

I know my Michigan peeps will remember this. Mr Fables served the best onion rings on the planet!

$6012814035_2881f4120c_b.jpg

Top Bottom