What's new

A good starter pipe.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Absolutely, and the Missouri Meerschaum brand would be preferable to cheaper versions. There are many different sizes and shapes, just pick one that speaks to you. I would avoid the MM Hardwood pipes at least in the beginning they have a tendency to smoker hotter than the cobs.

Yup. Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs are just fine. Heck, I have a grab bag of em and I've been smoking pipes for around 3+ years.

Absolutely, and the Missouri Meerschaum brand would be preferable to cheaper versions. There are many different sizes and shapes, just pick one that speaks to you. I would avoid the MM Hardwood pipes at least in the beginning they have a tendency to smoker hotter than the cobs.

+1

I echo the advice above! Corn cobs are not only a great beginner pipe. If you like them, I guarantee they will still be in your rotation when you graduate from "novice" status.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
[MENTION=111175]CurtisB81[/MENTION] ^^^What they said.

I have, umm...HAD, two; a regular one I got at a smoke shop, and a mini I picked up at a hardware store awhile back. Gave the mini to the granddaughter a couple of months ago (and yes, she's of age and wanted it) along with a bit of Carter Hall. I need to go back to the hardware store and pick up a couple of more minis. Used to smoke a cob many, many years ago, along with a Dr. Grabow a bit, then got out of smoking pipes for awhile. You can't go wrong with a MM cob.

Missouri Meerschaums are excellent pipes for all stages of pipe smoking. They have almost no break-in, smoke very well, and come in many wonderful affordable sizes. They also develop a nice color with use. The one in the photo is one of the smaller sizes, the opening was smaller than a nickle. I could easily get an hour smoke out of it with proper technique.

There are few smokes better than a straight VA or a drugstore blend in a cob.
$cob1.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I'm a sucker for the Bent County Gentleman. Great pipes and if you want to improve on it pick up a forever stem (vulcanite or lucite) from Walker Briarworks. Takes them from great to amazing!!!
proxy.php

There you go, Curtis. It appears unanimous. Maybe the one thing pipe smokers almost all agree on.

Now, once you've procured yourself a cob or three, we're all standing by to give you about a million different tobacco recommendations. :001_rolle

There you go, Curtis. It appears unanimous. Maybe the one thing pipe smokers almost all agree on.

Now, once you've procured yourself a cob or three, we're all standing by to give you about a million different tobacco recommendations. :001_rolle

+1..... no I mean 1,000,001! :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've never even seen a China one...everyone sells the MM cobs where I get mine (not online), so I have no clue. Let us know how you like it; it should work okay for awhile...I guess.

For a good first briar a Savenelli would be good.

Like Price said...Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Top Bottom