What's new

Thäter

Does anyone have any experience with Thäter brushes?

My collection includes a Simpson Chubby 1 and a Semogue 830, along with a Whipped Dog synthetic on the way.

I am in Germany frequently and thought about picking one up.

Any advice?

The highest quality. They are not going to be as dense as your Chubby but definitely an excellent brush. The hair is going to be much higher quality than Simpson in my experience.

3-band silvertip is as soft as any you will find while the 2-band silvertip has more backbone for more scrub while retaining fairly soft tips. Most people go with the 4125 series handle and bulb shape.

If you like the Chubby 1, the 4125 size 1 will be similar in size at 24mm knot and 52mm loft, although with the pronounced bulb and lower density. The size 2 is bigger and more luxurious at 26mm knot and 54mm loft. Size 3 is a really big brush at 28mm knot and 56mm loft.

My pick would be a 41925 3-band silvertip in a size two, as pictured on the right:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Good choice, Shavemac makes the handles for them. So you are getting a high quality brush. I have three Thaeters and nine Shavemacs.

The highest quality. They are not going to be as dense as your Chubby but definitely an excellent brush. The hair is going to be much higher quality than Simpson in my experience.

3-band silvertip is as soft as any you will find while the 2-band silvertip has more backbone for more scrub while retaining fairly soft tips. Most people go with the 4125 series handle and bulb shape.

If you like the Chubby 1, the 4125 size 1 will be similar in size at 24mm knot and 52mm loft, although with the pronounced bulb and lower density. The size 2 is bigger and more luxurious at 26mm knot and 54mm loft. Size 3 is a really big brush at 28mm knot and 56mm loft.

My pick would be a 41925 3-band silvertip in a size two, as pictured on the right:

is that brush on the left a 4125 size 1 then?
i've got a duke 3 and want a Thater like that which is close to it in brush head size. Would that be size 1 or 2?
would be good to see a photo of one next to a duke 3. I hear the bulb shape can make it seem smaller than the size suggests, is that true?

Outstanding brush. Probably the softest brush that I have yet excellent backbone to tackle soaps. I have the 4376/3 Silver Tip and it's wonderful.
$Brush-Thater4376-3.jpg

is that brush on the left a 4125 size 1 then?
i've got a duke 3 and want a Thater like that which is close to it in brush head size. Would that be size 1 or 2?
would be good to see a photo of one next to a duke 3. I hear the bulb shape can make it seem smaller than the size suggests, is that true?

Yes, it's a size one. The Duke is fan shaped while the Thater is bulb shaped. The rounded tip makes it feel softer but when you push down you feel more brush. Hard to describe. Thater does make fan shaped brushes though which would be closer to the Duke. Either way, go with a size 1.

I agree with all of the above. They are excellent brushes. Mine is a 26mm 2-Band Silvertip. Very soft with good backbone.

proxy.php

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 2 or 3 band Thater 4125 bulb.
How much backbone is there in the 2 bands? Is it more or less than a 3 band duke 3 for instance. I don't won't loads really but some would be nice. I'll definitely be using it regularly in my captains choice lather bowl.
What do you reckon? Also which one would be less of a lather hog?

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 2 or 3 band Thater 4125 bulb.
How much backbone is there in the 2 bands? Is it more or less than a 3 band duke 3 for instance. I don't won't loads really but some would be nice. I'll definitely be using it regularly in my captains choice lather bowl.
What do you reckon? Also which one would be less of a lather hog?

I have 3 Thaters, a 49125/0 3-band and 4125/1 and /2 in 2-band. In bulb I would recommend going a size larger than other brushes. The /0, while very soft, is pretty small and doesn't hold more than 2+ passes. I limit its use to a soft cream or soft soap and go to the others for hard soaps. As a face latherer, my favorite right now is the /1. Small enough to be precise, more backbone than the 3 band (soft but not quite as soft as 3-band) and great with any hard soap. Wish I had a /1 3-band to compare. It's probably me, but I didn't like any Thater out of the box like I did my Simpsons or Rooneys. Thaters took a few months to become favorites. I don't find any of mine to be lather hogs. I load them the same as any other brush and they release lather just fine.

$3 Thaters.jpg

OK just placed my order with Shaving.ie for a Thater 4125/1 in 2 band, bulb, black handle. Yay! :biggrin1:
Looks like it won't get dispatched till the end of the week as they are on holiday apparently. But only got to get to me here in England so hopefully it'll be in my anxious little hands soon.

I've seen photos of rusted coins, though I never had one. I've received them attached and unattached and I prefer the latter.

Any issues with the coin on the end of the handle? Do they ever rust?

I prefer the old logos, but my last one (4125/1) has the coin. It's had about 60 uses over the past year and I see no discoloration or rust on or around the coin. Being that my brush is ivory in color it would be more noticeable. However with that brush I tend to grab the top of the handle and shake the bottom once before standing it up on a small piece of paper towel to absorb any possible moisture on the bottom while the brush dries. I don't know if that's really necessary. It's probably just a bit of ocd on my part.

Top Bottom