What's new

Open Comb Vintage...do they work well?

I'm looking at a couple open comb razors, that are from the '40's, maybe earlier. My concern is with new flexible blades, the blade will touch the comb teeth and thus half the blade edge will not be cutting. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jay

The open combs from the '30's (New, '30's Aristocrat, English New) are by far my favorites (of all DEs). They use the "New" blade that we are currently using.

I have a New in my rotation and it gives a grea close, smooth shave every time. I've used Derbys, Feathers and Gillette Thins and all have worked will. I think everyone should have a least one open comb...Try it!!!!!

I have an open comb New from the early 30's, but I have been afraid to shave with it. It just looks aggressive. :w00t: Maybe one day I'll try it.

Tim

Don't fear the open comb - the older style open-combs may not work well with the thinner blades, but the NEW is a great razor and one of the best Gillette ever made IMHO.

My personal view is that the open vs closed comb has a marginal, if any real impact on the shave - all other things being equal, an open and closed comb version of the same razor will give a similar shave.

The one thing I do notice is that the open comb is a plus when hacking through a few days worth of growth.

I have several open comb razors in my rotation, a 1905 double ring being the oldest. It originally used the old type three ring, thick blade. The new blades work fine in it.

The open combs all give a great, comfortable and close shave. Don't hesitate, buy one. You won't be sorry.

Jay,

I have an extra Gillette NEW that I'll send you. It's not a collector's item, but will shave as well as one. As some others have commented in this thread, it's an excellent razor, and, IMO, is the best open comb razor to start with.

Send me your address via pm.

jim

Don't fear the open comb - the older style open-combs may not work well with the thinner blades, but the NEW is a great razor and one of the best Gillette ever made IMHO.

My personal view is that the open vs closed comb has a marginal, if any real impact on the shave - all other things being equal, an open and closed comb version of the same razor will give a similar shave.

The one thing I do notice is that the open comb is a plus when hacking through a few days worth of growth.

+1. The difference isn't as great as one might think, but if you skip a shave or two (you know, disasters, major illnesses, acts of God), the open comb makes nice work of a little growth.

Another vote for at least one OC in everyone's collection. I'm finding a Bostonian/Feather combo works well! :001_smile

I picked up a NEW of the 'bay for a buck with a Tech. Was more curious about using an open comb as I own a Tech already. Fired it on up with a Sputnik and wow, it shaves brilliantly! It is giving my Slim a run for its money right now in the battle to be my top shaver.

Ok, y'all are convincing me. I think I will try my New, tonight.

Tim

Good for you, Tim.
I have two NEW-generation razors from the '30s and they're my favorites. They're smooth and effective, not slicey, yankey or scrapey. I just used my slant again for the first time in awhile and it just couldn't grab some of the rogue hairs on my neck the way the NEW does for me.

Roger

Well, here's the razor that redbike was kind enough to let me try. I gave it the Maas treatment (see below) and charged it with my usual Crystal.

I had the impression that the correct analogy is of rental ski boots to racing boots. The former are very forgiving and the latter require skill, technique and a light touch.

I had to be very careful to keep a proper angle and not to use the slightest cross-stroke, as the latter ended me up with a cut that I didn't think would close with a styptic. Thank goodness it did, I had a real workday that I couldn't have gone through with a bandaid on my upper lip.

On the other hand, it was a real close shave with no need for any pressure. The blade edge is more exposed than on my other razors, even more than my HD; it was like a 9 setting on a Fatboy. But I needed fewer passes, just as with the Fat on the high setting.

This will be my two-days of growth baby, and I might even work it up in there higher, next to the HD. It is a lot of fun to play with, and the results are worth the effort. Thanks, Jim.

Best,

Jay

Funny my NEW looks just like that - copper, brass, copper. I have tried open comb razors from the 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s and they give me the best shaves.

Top Bottom