What's new

Got my first egg

Today one of my two hens laid her first egg today. I'm pretty excited since I've never raised chickens before.
Both hens started doing a submissive squat last Thursday which is a tell that they will start laying eggs. The other should lay her first egg soon.
Anyway, here is a picture of the egg which is small being it her first egg and a picture of the hen herself.
$tmp_11897-20160725_103241-689970622.jpg
$tmp_11897-20160725_120515-1313112166.jpg

This is really cool. I wish that I had some local friends who could supply me with fresh eggs. Unfortunately, I don't have the means for raising my own chickens at the moment, otherwise I'd love to do it.

Let me know how it compares to store-bought eggs.

In addition to the freshness factor, I'd also be curious to see the color of the yolk. What do you feed the chickens?

I still remember noticing the deeper orange color of the yolks when I was in Spain.

Thanks. Now I need to deside how to prepare it. I love eating eggs just about every way you can cook them, so I have many choices to choose from.
If fresh chicken eggs are anything like the fresh pheasant eggs from my grandfather's pheasants, then I'm in for a treat. I'll let you know how they compare.

This is really cool. I wish that I had some local friends who could supply me with fresh eggs. Unfortunately, I don't have the means for raising my own chickens at the moment, otherwise I'd love to do it.

Let me know how it compares to store-bought eggs.

I feed them a nutrient enriched feed with probiotics and antibiotics to supplement their free range diet. I'm happy to say that I no longer have a ton of ground crawling spiders anyone, or many other nucence bugs either. I did have to fence off my vegetable garden and berry bushes to keep them out. They're not very picky eaters.

In addition to the freshness factor, I'd also be curious to see the color of the yolk. What do you feed the chickens?

I still remember noticing the deeper orange color of the yolks when I was in Spain.

I unfortunately don't remember what bread my hens are. I just picked the healthiest looking ones them farm store had.
There are plenty of hawks around here to. In fact I had to chase one off a couple of weeks ago. The hens saw it first and took off for one of the many shelters set up for them, then when the Hawks saw me it flew off. Haven't had any issues since, fingers crossed.

What are the popular breeds out there?
there are so many hawks around here thati have not seen any rabbits in years.

Congratulations to your first egg. :thumbup:
I like the idea of having chickens. But why do you feed antibiotics? My grandparents didn't and they had healthy chickens, too.

The dinosaur with funny looking offspring came first. At least that's the current popular theory. Of course I'd love for a dinosaur to hatch from a chicken egg!

Awesome. Enjoy the fresh eggs. So the chicken came first? Or the egg? :001_huh:

It's one of those choice things. I went with the medicated food for my first round at raising chickens. That may change in the future as I learn/become better at it.
Congratulations to your first egg. :thumbup:
I like the idea of having chickens. But why do you feed antibiotics? My grandparents didn't and they had healthy chickens, too.

My ex-gf's father lives in Oregon & has hens. He would bring us eggs whenever he visited. Best I've ever had. The yolk is a bright, almost orangeish color. He didn't wash the eggs because they stay fresh longer that way. Enjoy Dave, I'm envious!

My ex-gf's father lives in Oregon & has hens. He would bring us eggs whenever he visited. Best I've ever had. The yolk is a bright, almost orangeish color. He didn't wash the eggs because they stay fresh longer that way. Enjoy Dave, I'm envious!

Thanks Jay! My other hen should lay her first egg any day now as well. The cool thing about my hens is that one lays brown eggs and the other is supposed to lay white eggs. I'll be able to tell who laid the egg. Good tip on the egg washing. I rinsed this first one off with just cool water, dried it off, and straight to the fridge. It would be awesome if the hens took turns laying eggs so that I got one egg every day.
Another benefit is all the chicken poop I can use in my garden next year. I shouldn't need to buy fertilizer anymore since my garden isn't too large.

beautiful hen, and congratulations. i love the eggs my flock produces, the eggs are light years better than even high end eggs you get from any grocery store. i have so many egg recipes as a result as well, one of my faves being cubano hash.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I could possibly have some chickens in the near future. What does your chicken coop look like? How do you keep the predators away?

My concern with the chickens is going to be keeping the snakes and coyotes at bay.

strop

Now half as wise
My concern with the chickens is going to be keeping the snakes and coyotes at bay.

That was my first thought as well.

And make sure you compost that chicken manure before you put it on your garden.

Top Bottom