What's new

ToBS Sandalwood issue

About a week ago i ordered 3 creams off a site i've never used up till now - 2 ToBS (Sandalwood and Jermyn Street) and a DR Harris Sandalwood.
I've actually had a sample of DR Harris Sandalwood cologne before and the shaving cream was pretty much the same scent-wise (an odd, somewhat subdued sandalwood scent mixed with some other woody scents as far as i could tell), cream performed fairly well too. The Jermyn street was also great and i really liked the scent (maybe a bit too sweet to be completely to my liking).

Problem was the ToBS Sandalwood cream - it had a much more liquid composition, like it was mixed with water or something else, and the smell was a generic soapy smell with pretty much no hint of woody or any other sort of smell to it. It also performed more poorly compared to the Jermyn street as far as i could tell. Has this ever happened to anyone else that tried the ToBS Sandalwood?

About a week ago i ordered 3 creams off a site i've never used up till now - 2 ToBS (Sandalwood and Jermyn Street) and a DR Harris Sandalwood.
I've actually had a sample of DR Harris Sandalwood cologne before and the shaving cream was pretty much the same scent-wise (an odd, somewhat subdued sandalwood scent mixed with some other woody scents as far as i could tell), cream performed fairly well too. The Jermyn street was also great and i really liked the scent (maybe a bit too sweet to be completely to my liking).

Problem was the ToBS Sandalwood cream - it had a much more liquid composition, like it was mixed with water or something else, and the smell was a generic soapy smell with pretty much no hint of woody or any other sort of smell to it. It also performed more poorly compared to the Jermyn street as far as i could tell. Has this ever happened to anyone else that tried the ToBS Sandalwood?
There is often some variability in consistency with creams but if it seems excessively runny then it may have been subjected to some heat in transit, I don't know where you are based but I am in the uk and I find that in the summer my creams often go a bit runny when the weather is hot, I usually put them in the freezer for a short amount of time and it firms them back up.
With regards to Tobs Sandalwood it is not a straight up Sandalwood and I find it is more a Spanish leather type of soapy clean scent, I think it smells gorgeous but ymmv, performance wise I find it is good but not the best performing Tobs cream and Jermyn street is definitely a better performer

its a well known fact that the trumpers, harris, and tobs creams can and will be affected by shipping during hot weather. Any reputable retailer of shaving supplies will mention that in the product description.

+1

Maggards has a warning even, that creams ordered during hot weather are done so at the purchaser's risk.

TOBS has been fine after a stirring. I don't care for the TOBS cream take on Sandalwood. It smells chemically synthetic to me.

Ye, the weather thing didn't occur to me when it should have especially since the temperatures around here have reached ~35 celsius lately. It's quite odd that only the ToBS Sandalwood was affected when the other 2 weren't.

Did the weather affect the scent or only the composition?

Top Bottom