What's new

First post and shaving story

I've been reading up on this forum and have decided to join as you seem like a genuinely cool and helpful bunch.

so "BIG hi"

I am 35, live in the UK and have been shaving since i was 14.

some background:

First shave: Well i was 14 when my Mum handed me a BIC disposal, some shaving soap and some el cheapo aftershave. unfortunately i had older parents and my Dad has had a beard since we was about 18 so there was no venerable old sage knowledge passed down. Well, what can i say??? there was no prep and i had terrible acne! the result was that it looked like i had tried to shave with a rusty baked beans can lid! I made every mistake you could make imaginable! Against the grain, cold razor, poor lather, repeated strokes you name it i committed to it and the sink looked liek something out of a SAW movie! The splash of brut was the final nail in the coffin! my face was on fire and i think i nearly passed out! Needless to say this was not a pleasurable experience

Well, after this lowly experience i saved up and bought a Wilkinson FX performer (here in the UK it was either that or the Gillette Sensor Excel being plugged every advert break), and to my mind some decent shaving cream (Gillette, out of a can) and carried on XTG and ruining my skin.

From there on really i have spent the last 20 years buying every Gillette, Wilkinson, King of Shave and 'own brand' Razors as well as every canned shaving cream imaginable all in the spirit of getting that luxurious and pleasant shave i'd hear about! - never happened!

So as i hit 35 and grew tired of the latest "it has 72 blades, a micro strip, invisible little people massaging your skin" Razor that promises the Earth (and costs it) i decided to look into a more retro shaving experience and started doing my research.

I bought a Sanguine Coolcut 4 and also a Edwin Jagger safety razor, along with some Feather Blades, and some prorasso (red)

Unfortunately despite being a Youtube junkie on the subject my first go with the Sanguine was a staggeringly bad experience! I put too much pressure on, scored tramlines into my face, hadn't lathered right, made too many passes, nicked just about every square cm on my face and gave myself blowtorch level razor burn (on neck and cheek). I was lucky i decided to abuse myself this way on a Friday night and not before work as i looked horrifying. That Sanguine went in the trash so i couldn't be tempted to self harm again.

Anyway a week later i decided to give the Jagger a go and WOW! didn't cut myself once, got a very smooth and soft shave and minimal burn. Best shave i've had.

Of course i still like the idea of a straight style shave (yes, its the macho male side) so i bought a Sanguine Coolcut 9 off the back of the reviews here.

I have eased into using it (cheeks only, safety for everywhere else) and have not cut myself however yesterday (24/7/16) i tried a full shave with it and it wasn't anywhere near as good as the Jagger and felt uncomfortable! i know i should be happy that i can great DSE shave so why bother with using a shavette however i really like the idea of it!

i have also seen some gold dollar shave ready razors that have been honed by an expert for £20 so am considering one of them.

anyway i have taken up enough of your reading time

Pleasure to have joined you guys

Welcome to the forums. I remember my first shave. Sensor disposable and some gillette gel. Cut my face up real bad, but as far as i can remember no burn.

Good luck on hour shaving journey!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.​

Hi, welcome to B&B
A word to the wise - don't forget to look in Boots and Lloyds before trying shaving soaps, creams and aftershaves on the internet, from what I remember there is some great shaving stuff that won't break the bank available on the high street

[MENTION=111442]NiteEyez[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade...though some around here might take offense being called "cool." :thumbup1: Thanks for sharing your story. You wouldn't believe how much it helps members to read the trials and tribulations of those who have struggled and experienced. If you are interested, we have a weekly PIF going on for new guys where they could win a sizable blade sampler. Just click on the link below and say "I'm in!" Once again...welcome to B&B!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...gister-for-your-chance-to-win!-July-23rd-30th

Welcome to B&B. There is a ton of info on straight razor shaving here, both in the Wiki link at the top, and on the straight razor forum. Best of luck! :thumbup1:

Welcome!! This is a skill that takes time to master!! The main thing is to keep working and you will get there!

Top Bottom