What's new

omega vs. semogue boar

Hey guys, I have only one boar brush and it's an omega pro 10049. It really is an amazing and affordable brush and I love it. Are there semogue brushes that compare to an omega 10049? I looked at some of their brushes and I don't particularly care for wooden handles. How long would a wooden handle on a shaving brush last?

The wooden handles last for many years. It's only the cheap ones that crack. I too have the Omega Pro 49 and I also have a Semogue Owners Club in boar and it works great and looks good too. You can get one on Amazon for just $27.50.

$OB_SOC.jpg

The wooden handle should last long enough, as long as the brush.

I think the Omegas lather better than the Semogues, but I only have two Semogues: the 1250 and the SOC.

Even though I don't have the Semogue 2000, I think it might be somewhat close to the Pro 49 you have. The SOC, which I do have, is a very good brush and I recommend it. I don't think it lathers as well as the Pro 49 (I have it too) but I can build great lathers with it, it feels great on my face and I enjoy using it.

They both are lather monsters. I like the feel of the SOC more. I give it a slight edge over the Omega. I tried the Semogue 2000 twice and I 'pifed' it both times. I didn't like it at all. I just couldn't get it to lather good. I feel it's the worst of the 3.

Last edited:
Wooden handles are totally fine. I've had boar brushes with wooden handles for 5 years and they still look new.

I would suggest not to worry about the handles and concentrate on the knot/loft and hair type you prefer in a boar.

I have a bunch of Semogues (620,830,1800, sold the SOC) and a bunch of Omegas.
If you want to put money in a fancier handle and ok knot - Semogue.
I like the Omega knots better and they come in many different handle shapes, the beehives are my favorites and I don't care its cheaper plastic vs acrylic/wood - thet fit my hand better.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have the B&B Essential by Omega and a couple 3 SOC brushes - 2 boars and a badger.

They don't really compare well as they are very different brushes, both very good. The funk stink on the Omega was something special and lingered for far too many days, but other than that it's hard to go wrong either way.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have the B&B Essential by Omega and a couple 3 SOC brushes - 2 boars and a badger.

They don't really compare well as they are very different brushes, both very good. The funk stink on the Omega was something special and lingered for far too many days, but other than that it's hard to go wrong either way.

The wooden handles on the Semogues are by far my favorite handles. I use one of the SOCs virtually every day for years with absolutely no problems.

The boar brushes i bought in the past year had next to no funk, with both makes.
But the ones from 3 years ago - woahhh - they were REAL.

Top Bottom