What's new

Noob first sharpening question

Ok not my absolute first but the first on this razor. I've sharpened a few GD's and kitchen knifes that were really bad and needed new bevels and a full progression of stones. This is my first finished razor (Ralf Aust) that was shave ready when I got it and it needs to be touched up. I have Naniwa SS 400/1000/5000/8000/12000 and wanted to know where is the best place to start. I'm assuming 12000 with 4-8 laps and test - does that sound right?

I'm assuming 12000 with 4-8 laps and test - does that sound right?
That certainly will not hurt anything, though I would normally go at least as low as the 8k. I use a microscope and depending on what I see choose my starting point.

This is the first sharpening, I'm assuming I don't want to go down to 1k and reset a bevel right?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Normally no, 8k and then 12k sounds about right for a razor beginning to lose its edge. But it won't hurt anthing to give it 15-20 on the 12k and try it out.

Cheers, Steve

You can set a bevel very easily on a previously shaving razor with a 4K stone.

I would kill the edge and then set on the 4k and move up

Lots of different theories on touching up. Some camps say do it frequently (sometimes as frequently as between every shave), and minimize the work done. Others say go until the razor starts tugging. I never touch up, as I change my finishes almost as often as I shave. I typically drop to one stone before a finisher before refinishing though. So in your case, I'd go 8k then 12k if it were me. But you could do it all on the 12k, or drop down to the 1k and work your way up if you wanted. It's really up to you.

I have a similar question but it's more surrounding what to buy. I'm thinking of getting a Naniwa 8k and 12k for getting a nice edge on my Henckel's.

Is this the recommended way? I'm buying from eBay and the 2 razors I have so far won't pass the falling hair test. With an old stone and strop I got the upper edge of one to plink a hair or 2 off swiping them over the blade with no tension.

I started looking into Shapton's. I found what I thought was a deal; a 12k Shapton for $45.

I soon discovered it's an M5. Which to my knowledge means it's basically an abrasive sheet layered on glass. Has anyone tried an M5? Pros and Cons? Is Naniwa the only way to go?
Also, which do I need more than water with?

There was a little discussion about shapton M5's a few weeks back. It was a "what should I buy" thread. If you look back a few pages, you may find it. I think I remember someone saying they felt it wasn't as fine as it claimed. I've not used one myself.

Razors you buy off eBay will almost always require a beveling and/or chip removal. Doing this on a Naniwa 8k will take a lot of time. You'd be better off spending $20 on some garbage lower grit stones and using them than trying to start out on the 8k, and even that's a less than ideal method. If you're going to be buying enough razors off eBay that it makes sense to do the low-grit work yourself, you're going to want a more fleshed out honing set than just the 8k/12k. The typical starting set was the Norton 1k/4k/8k(with the Norton 8k being substantially coarser than the Naniwa 8k due to different rating systems making a Norton 8k ~= to a Naniwa 4-5k). I like the DMT 1.2k/8k set myself. The mid-high end Japanese stones have gained popularity lately (naniwa, Sigma Powers and shaptons), 800-2k, 3-5k, 6-10k, etc. There's a guy here who hones entirely on Arkansas, though that will require pressure and technique that may make it difficult for a new user. Some guys use a low grit hone (1k region) and then go straight to a coticule with varying levels of slurry (dilucot).

Basically, there's a lot of options.

That said, there's a definite preference among most experienced shavers for certain natural stones over synthetics as a final finisher. The 12k Naniwa is most often viewed as a "starting point" finisher for new users learning to hone razors. It's available, easy to use, and gives a good enough edge. But if you really want to enjoy your shave the most you can, few people would favor a 12k Synthetic (of any brand) over any number of naturals. Jnat's, coticules, Thuringians, and several others comprising most people's favorites. The idea behind recommending a 12k Naniwa is that it will get you shaving with edges which are sharp enough; and then if you want to find a better edge, you'll be able to experiment (send razors out for honings on different stones, or borrow stones to try, etc) while having a "standard" to use at home. Then when you find your favorite edge, the Naniwa will be easy to sell for a relatively minor loss if you choose to.

You can take or leave this advice bit I would get a dozen good shaves going off the 8K alone first assuming your bevel is good. I'm sure you can get great shaves off the 8K alone. Then when confident introduce the 12K into the progression. Just give it a try and see. If the shave isn't pretty darn good at 8K then you'll need to go back a step or two.

I started looking into Shapton's. I found what I thought was a deal; a 12k Shapton for $45.

?
Shaptons are my favorite, but you need to lap them frequently for them to maintian optimum performance. I would suggest a DMT lapping plate ($$) or a Shapton diamond on glass lapping plate (much nicer but $$$$)

Btw every time I go to my nani 12K I always feel like I wind up losing a bit of keenness for some reason. There are some synth only honers that actually prefer the 10K super stone or perhaps even the 10K Chosera now called the professional series to the 12K. I had the shapton pro 15k or 16k (can't remember) and I wasn't impressed with it in the slightest. I'm currently waiting for a Nakayama to come in soon to try out.

If the edge was honed originally on Nanis, up to 12k - then starting there for a touch up is plausible.

Top Bottom