What's new

Wanting a straight vintage or new help?

Wondering how to move forward. I've been using a cheap straight for a few weeks now and have it down good. I don't NEED a new razor but I'd like one. Vintage or not.... how do I proceeded?

I have one new SR and about 15 vintage SRs. I like both, but I really enjoy the vintage ones. They are generally (if you take your time and select well) in very good condition and they hone up well. The nice thing about vintage is you are going to pay between $15 and 60$ and you are getting a perfectly good razor...and a bit of history in your hands. And I don't worry as much about damaging it either by shaving (dropping on banging) or honing. If I buy a new razor for $170- $225 then I am so much more careful with handling it...for fear of damaging it somehow.

What would be a good brand? Or what vintage should I look for?
There are many...too many to list. Check this site: http://strazors.com/

What to look for -- look for good scales and a good pivot, make sure the blade and edge are in good condition. I have bought some that looked in pretty bad shape, but once restored and honed they were real gems...and great shavers.

Be very careful, you are approaching the point of no return. You are exhibiting the classic early signs of collecting...." I don't need another razor, but....." lol.

Theres some good advice listed already, from the free pass around Doc47 is running to simply picking up an ebay vintage straight.

If vintage tickles your fancy, read up on the buying flea market finds: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/353097-Looking-To-Buy-a-Flea-Market-Razor-Look-Here! so you have good baseline of knowledge on what to avoid.

After that Id suggest picking something that interests you, Spanish or French points, muted or square, shoulder less, frame back etc. B&B is a great resource, check the shave of the day thread and see which brands pop up the most or whatever catches your eye, then take it from there.

The one thing i would suggest it get your current or new razor honed by one of the members here, Doc226 or Mycarver, both guys have independent websites with pricing and both have stellar reputations. There are other members too, but those are the ones to come to mind first for me. I thought my edges were good off shapton glass stones, till I had a Jnat edge from Doc226, so sharp and comfortable it blew me away.

Good luck and have fun with the chase!

Im also interested in straight razors but dont know which way to go about it.
Have been DE shaving for quite some time. Any suggestions or help.

Bad_B. I use an 8 level Chosera stone progression before switching over to 4 diffrent Kangaroo strops each with its own CBN emulsion from 4m, 1.5m, .5m and .1m..... :)

If you ever want to try that edge let me know, I would be happy to hone your blade for free, it's kind of a hobby of mine. I also strop with Spyderco Ultra Fine rods sometimes.

Im also interested in straight razors but dont know which way to go about it.
Have been DE shaving for quite some time. Any suggestions or help.
Buying a shave ready vintage straight, or even Gold Dollar, from someone with a decent reputation alongside a basic strop should get you going. I'd factor in wanting a second shave ready razor early on as learning to shave, strop and either hone or send out the razor is easier when you have a back up blade.

Wondering how to move forward. I've been using a cheap straight for a few weeks now and have it down good. I don't NEED a new razor but I'd like one. Vintage or not.... how do I proceeded?
Go razor shopping. If you're not sure what to look for stick to trusted vendors or members selling shave ready razors. Rusty put a link to Manah's site which would be worth a look.

Old, new, borrowed, blue.....just buy something you like the look of. I'd lean towards a budget no name vintage that look cools, bought from someone with a keen interest in razor honing.

But......you've not given much away. Do you have a budget? a type of razor you fancy trying? anything you like or don't like about your current razor? what is your current razor?

So try whipped dog first?
I'm still new to B and B.
Is there a post of B and B members that hone strobe, of course for a price?
I will look again.

There is a list but not sure how up to date it is: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Honemeister I hear Bayamontate recommended frequently on here

Whipped Dog should be cool, I got one of my first blades from Larry. Not sure about sites and links, I'm a little out of the loop but there are certainly a few members on here overhauling razors.

Bad_B. I use an 8 level Chosera stone progression before switching over to 4 diffrent Kangaroo strops each with its own CBN emulsion from 4m, 1.5m, .5m and .1m..... :)

If you ever want to try that edge let me know, I would be happy to hone your blade for free, it's kind of a hobby of mine. I also strop with Spyderco Ultra Fine rods sometimes.

Thanks for the cool offer, i might have to take you up on that! Sorry, I assumed you were very new to the whole wet shaving gig, but with money into 8 different stones, sounds like youre an old hand, lol.

There's also the other option of tracking a razor down in the wild, flea markets, antique malls, thrift stores etc., but youd have to do homework on brands and blade conditions that I mentioned before.

I have a few modern production razors, but the price points can range from $150-$350, so it can be can cost prohibitive. Out of my moderns, I like the fit and finish of the Ralf Aust, then Revisor, Hart Steel and lastly Wacker. The Harts are all 1/4 hollow so its a different feel from a full hollow and not to everyones liking.

I think the best option would be vintage. Try different grinds and tips, say in the $40-$60 each before you zero in on spending big money on something modern.

Let us know what you decided on...and post pictures when you do!

I'm thinking of going all out and getting a fancy straight. I'll be selling of some of my DE collection including my Above the Tie Razor.

I'm not an old hand lol, not yet at least... I just enjoy sharpening. As a Welding Inspector I've developed a love for metallurgy. :)

that offer goes for any B&B member BTW. Just priority ship your straight with $5 bucks to ship it back and I'll have that steel singing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom