What's new

Appendix carry with striker fired?

I'm not real keen on where this muzzle is pointing. :ohmy:

I am carrying a S&W Shield 9mm with no safety.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

It's all about comfort with carry. I carry the same weapon as you and for me it is possible to pocket carry (just barely). It comes down to this:

Your weapon WILL NOT FIRE by itself. There IS a safety on the Shield- it is the multi-part trigger (sort of like a glock) without engaging the lower part of the trigger is is not possible to pull the trigger and release the sear.

As long as you "keep your booger hook off the bang switch" when you are drawing and re-holstering (most dangerous) and have a holster that covers the trigger guard you will be fine. Carry it anywhere including appendix. Work for unconscious finger discipline and it will not be a problem. Also- DON'T TOUCH YOUR GUN WHILE YOU ARE CARRYING it's just a habit esp. with people new to carrying. Let's hope you NEVER have to use it.

No matter how bad-*** it looks don't even THINK about just stuffing it in the small of your back (or anywhere else) like the movies- I always chuckle at that when I see that :)

It's all about comfort with carry. I carry the same weapon as you and for me it is possible to pocket carry (just barely). It comes down to this:

Your weapon WILL NOT FIRE by itself. There IS a safety on the Shield- it is the multi-part trigger (sort of like a glock) without engaging the lower part of the trigger is is not possible to pull the trigger and release the sear.

As long as you "keep your booger hook off the bang switch" when you are drawing and re-holstering (most dangerous) and have a holster that covers the trigger guard you will be fine. Carry it anywhere including appendix. Work for unconscious finger discipline and it will not be a problem. Also- DON'T TOUCH YOUR GUN WHILE YOU ARE CARRYING it's just a habit esp. with people new to carrying. Let's hope you NEVER have to use it.

No matter how bad-*** it looks don't even THINK about just stuffing it in the small of your back (or anywhere else) like the movies- I always chuckle at that when I see that :)

I carry mine where it is comfortable. I guess if I was wearing shorts I might consider an appendix holster. Great advice by the way.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Sdm84 is exactly right. [MENTION=66621]Mark[/MENTION], while your Shield doesn't have an external safety, as Sdm said, it not only has a trigger safety, but also a falling block safety between the striker and sear. This internal falling block, cannot and will not, ever move from blocking the striker, unless the trigger is actuated and pulled all the way rearward.

And if your trigger guard is covered by a proper holster, you can't even get your finger to pull it on purpose. You can trust that your striker fired Shield, is every bit as safe to carry as a hammer fired pistol with an external safety.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The salient point is to develop trigger finger discipline no matter where or what you carry. Mechanical safeties fail or can get inadvertently flipped off. The trigger finger stays along the side of the frame above the trigger guard AT ALL TIMES UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS BEGIN TO ALIGN ON TARGET. Practice this until it is unconscious muscle memory. Make it so.

OkieStubble

I've also seen people sweep themselves with their barrel when drawing from 4-5 o'clock...

+1 I have seen this myself a couple of times. From what I have seen, it has happened with people who carry a holster in a straight up, 90 degree angle while in the 4-5:00 position. I think having the holster tilted at a 10-20 degree cant, helps alleviate this, at least in the 5:00 spot behind the hip.

If you are seriously considering AIWB, go to pistol forum.com and look at the 100+ page thread on the topic.

IMNSHO, I would offer the following:

AIWB is not for the beginner

AIWB is not for all body types, Indeed, IWB is not for all body types

It is imperative to have a purpose designed AIWB holster i.e. Custom Carry Concepts, JM, Keepers etc.

Speed reholstering is almost always a horrible idea

I physically sweep my support hand thru the top of my AIWB holster to make sure it is not "fouled" in any way. As I reholster , I move my hips forward a bit and lean back such that the barrel of the weapon clears my body minimizing the likelihood of shooting myself

NORTAC's point re trigger finger discipline is pure platinum and should be the first point taken from this thread and internalized.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A drill to help reinforce finger discipline. With a loaded weapon in a two handed grip, begin at a "low ready" position with the muzzle depressed approx 45 degrees with trigger finger off the trigger and alongside the frame above the trigger guard (register position). Raise the pistol up so that the sights are on target and only then move the trigger finger to the trigger and make the shot. Immediately place the trigger finger back into the "register position" along the frame outside of and above the trigger guard. Lower the pistol to low ready position and repeat the exercise until the magazine is empty, one shot at a time, each time taking the finger back to register position after each shot before lowering the pistol to low ready. Do this enough times and you will see how quickly the trigger finger can be brought into play and that there is no need to have it on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

A drill to help reinforce finger discipline. With a loaded weapon in a two handed grip, begin at a "low ready" position with the muzzle depressed approx 45 degrees with trigger finger off the trigger and alongside the frame above the trigger guard (register position). Raise the pistol up so that the sights are on target and only then move the trigger finger to the trigger and make the shot. Immediately place the trigger finger back into the "register position" along the frame outside of and above the trigger guard. Lower the pistol to low ready position and repeat the exercise until the magazine is empty, one shot at a time, each time taking the finger back to register position after each shot before lowering the pistol to low ready. Do this enough times and you will see how quickly the trigger finger can be brought into play and that there is no need to have it on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

This is actually how I do it when hunting, except I even have the safety on.

I'm working on making it work with a pistol, minus the safety being engaged.

You're absolutely correct in that once committed to muscle memory, it's as easy natural as anything.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'll stick to carrying on my hip. Nothing the muzzle is pointing at with AIWB is good (groin, femoral artery, etc). Plus, it's uncomfortable to me since I have a gut (smallish, but still a bit of a gut). Also, all the extra training classes I've done have all been from the hip. I've trained that way and will stick to it. Just my $0.02.

$image.jpg

Here are the two pistols I carry more often than not. Both are in OWB holsters which are easy to conceal and so comfortable I often forget I am wearing them. A bit spendy?? Yes. I am certain they are LOT cheaper than that poor guy's medical bills though.

OkieStubble

I'm not sure if I saw this here or elsewhere but this guy shot himself when his shirt or something bunched up in the trigger and was able to "pull" it. NSFW images, probably.
http://concealednation.org/2016/02/...he-a-heres-why-a-proper-holster-is-essential/

So reading this guy's story, it reads to me as if the guy, who was using a soft Blackhawk holster, tried to reholster the gun inside a soft collapsible holster while it is still inside his pants?

This doesn't sound like the holster is at fault at all. I have used an uncle Mike's for 26 years. I have never, tried to re-holster, without first, pulling the soft holster by the clip from the pants, inserting the pistol and then reinserting the pistol and holster back into the pants as a complete unit.

John is absolutely right in regards to firearm carriers such as this. If a person is not going to attempt to try and learn the basic fundamentals of not only the firearm, but also of the types of holsters and accessories for said firearm?

I still say, if you are willing to be a "prudent student" of your desired type of carry mode, The Blackhawk and Uncle Mike's types of holsters, are quality "soft holsters" and they work "exactly" like a soft holster is supposed to, and they are perfectly safe to carry, if YOU are "perfectly safe" to carry.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm not sure if I saw this here or elsewhere but this guy shot himself when his shirt or something bunched up in the trigger and was able to "pull" it. NSFW images, probably.
http://concealednation.org/2016/02/...he-a-heres-why-a-proper-holster-is-essential/

When I first read this post I initially thought it was the one where the Chief shot himself that I had seen awhile back. Guess not.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video...jacket-drawstring-causes-negligent-discharge/

Just goes to show...no matter how many safeties your weapon has built in...the best safety is between your ears.

Don't get complacent.

Check, double check, triple check.

I'm not really versed in the different types of holsters; I bought a Stealthgear as my 1st one and it's awesome. I was thinking more of the guns with no safety or rather the multi-part trigger safety like my Glock, COULD go off if your shirt or holster or some other foreign thing got in there accidentally and made it fire. But yeah, the person really needs to be cognizant of what they're doing at all times anyway. Mine goes in the hard plastic part pretty easily and only once did my shirt get a little entangled while holstering it, but I'm not sure if really was inside the trigger guard or not.

OkieStubble

I'm not really versed in the different types of holsters; I bought a Stealthgear as my 1st one and it's awesome. I was thinking more of the guns with no safety or rather the multi-part trigger safety like my Glock, COULD go off if your shirt or holster or some other foreign thing got in there accidentally and made it fire. But yeah, the person really needs to be cognizant of what they're doing at all times anyway. Mine goes in the hard plastic part pretty easily and only once did my shirt get a little entangled while holstering it, but I'm not sure if really was inside the trigger guard or not.

I got my wife a stealthgear AIWB for her Glock 43. She really likes it. The story you posted, the guy was trying a soft type holster which collapses after the gun is pulled. He admitted to wearing a leather outside the waistband for over 10 years. If he would have simply google fu'd soft collapsible holster, BEFORE just throwing it on or trying to reholster while it is still in his pants, he would of found that is a major no-no.

Not only was his "arse" injured, but most likely, also his pride & ego. So it's easier to blame the "type" of holster than to admit that he didn't do his homework to find a soft collapsible IS NOT a stiff formed leather or kydex and you can't treat them as such.

And there you have it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom