What's new

Chubby 3 in super- inputs appreciated

So, having already several brushes of which I am generally quite happy with, I've decided recently to opt to something that is considered at the top...so got the Simpson Chubby 3 in super badger....
the brush is a mammoth and with its 29-30mm knot stands above any other brush concerning dimensions...
nevertheless, after 5-6 shavings, I am a bit concerned :001_huh: as when the brush will break in...I have tried so far with both creams and soaps and did not manage yet to get excellent lathers that I get so fast with one of my other most favorite brushes...the Coates in pure badger with its 18mm knot (!)....
$IMG_1115.jpg

any shared experiences from other users of the chubby 3 would be welcome...
cheers from CH

Attachments

• $IMG_1116.jpg
    $IMG_1116.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Congratulations on a new brush. I have 6 Simpsons, mostly CH2's however (in super, two-band silvertip, manchurian) and they generally take about two-three weeks to break in properly. How is the face feel? Do you detect any scritch? I am also considering CH3 in super, as my CH2 in super is one of my favourite brushes, very soft with excellent flexibility and flow-through.

I have
chubby 1 super
Chubby 2 super
Chubby 3 best
If I have to keep one or buy again, it will be the 3
For me only chuuby 3 can really give the chubby experiences.
1 is too small, 2 still not big enough and 3 is the Real Stuff.
Just keep using the brush until it break in and always keep loading more product, really more until you see the lather "explode".
And I prefer my Chubby 3 in best hair than the 1 and 2 in Super. The best hair on the chubby 3 best is just so great. Soft, thick, dense knot with good backbone and good flow than the chubby in super which have even denser knot.

Last edited:
You just need more time and practice with the brush.
Load much more product than you are used to, add more water, than usual and spend more time generating the lather.
You'll acclimatize yourself to the brush, in no time. :001_smile

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
You probably need to load a Chubby 3 at least twice as long as any other "normal" brush. The Ch3 is a lather hog.

Nice looking brush!! I have a number of Simpsons, but substantially smaller than this bad boy (Duke 2, 57, Classic 2 and Chubby 1).

Dense Simpsons take more lather and brushes like the Chubby also tend to hold onto the lather. My guess is that you need more product!

thanks everyone for inputs....for the moments, various attempts also by using more product, yielded so so results....
no Chubby 3 Super users here????

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
More soap or cream, this one is very big and also a lather hog. I had one, but got rid of it because of this.
I would get a two-band super if they are become available again.

I'm curious. I just received a Chubby 2 in best badger, but haven't used it yet. One thing I read was to use painting, and not circular motions when applying lather. What about loading the brush? I would think that it could be difficult to load without circular motions, which would be performed with greater pressure than when applying to your face. I figured I would just use it like I use all of my other brushes, and if I damage it, I will just get another down the road.

Thanks for the feedback Rudy...appreciate that.
Indeed, I noticed that the brush usually lathers enough for the 1st pass, but for a 2nd and a 3rd, it has be re-loaded....
not too many 30mm knots there outside...well, for the moment it's an interesting new experience and it seems I tend to keep it but go on with the experimentation over weekend, since it's not only more product, it's also the time..:001_cool:

I would assume that recommendation is really for the long run...
I try to follow using my brushes with painting motions, but I cannot avoid circular ones as well...certainly not when loading....

I would assume that recommendation is really for the long run...
I try to follow using my brushes with painting motions, but I cannot avoid circular ones as well...certainly not when loading....

Yeah, I can't avoid circular motions while loading. I used mine this morning for the first time. I loaded a lot of soap, and the lather was good, but not great. I used Stirling Executive Man, because it's such a great scent. I have a Stirling Kong brush that is the best out of all of my brushes for lathering. I will try to use my CH2 exclusively for the next month and see how it goes. August will be a Chubby month for me!

thx for nice comments.

Beautiful photo. What are the pencils for?

pencils in memory of the brutal Paris Charlie Hebdoe attack, Janaury, 2015.

I guess the Chubby 2 in super is indeed probably better balanced....the 3 is quite a hungry beast....
nice nice photo....which razor that is??

Razor is Gillette ABC Pocket of early 1900's. Shaves great, just slightly aggressive.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My Chubby 1 Super took more time to break in than any other badger I've used. I almost sold it until it finally started to really perform and impress me like it should. That was probably a month for me of not using every day, maybe 2 weeks of daily shaves. My newest Simpson, Chubby 2 Manchurian, felt incredible in its first shave. Just stinky. A couple shaves in and I'm amazed with how it feels. I thought I might sell my Chubby 1 Super because of the Manhurian but they're actually quite different brushes with the Super feeling much more dense still. I'm sure that much density is why the break in took so long as well.

ok, that's really useful information....I guess I must be more patient then with the Chubby 3 and it's fat 29mm knot....
I started to have kind of thoughts to get it back and replace it, but I probably won't give up so rapidly....
do you have different experiences with the Chubby 1 between face and face lathering..????....soaps vs. creams???
:blush:

My Chubby 1 Super took more time to break in than any other badger I've used. I almost sold it until it finally started to really perform and impress me like it should. That was probably a month for me of not using every day, maybe 2 weeks of daily shaves. My newest Simpson, Chubby 2 Manchurian, felt incredible in its first shave. Just stinky. A couple shaves in and I'm amazed with how it feels. I thought I might sell my Chubby 1 Super because of the Manhurian but they're actually quite different brushes with the Super feeling much more dense still. I'm sure that much density is why the break in took so long as well.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I use all soaps and only face lather. My only complaint with the Chubby 1 is the handle is a bit too small for my taste. Not a huge issue, but sometimes my hand cramps a bit holding it. I like my Chubby 2 more. The 1 is great for shave sticks though. The Chubby series is all about scrub, doesn't deliver any scritch at all. It's super efficient for the way I lather up. If I want a softer and more luxurious brush, I reach for something else. Usually my go to is one of my Chubbies, though.

I'm curious. I just received a Chubby 2 in best badger, but haven't used it yet. One thing I read was to use painting, and not circular motions when applying lather. What about loading the brush? I would think that it could be difficult to load without circular motions, which would be performed with greater pressure than when applying to your face. I figured I would just use it like I use all of my other brushes, and if I damage it, I will just get another down the road.
i believe Simpsons writes that on all their instruction labels, but it's pretty much agreed that circular motions are totally fine. Main thing is not to use a lot of downwards pressure while you're swirling or lathering.

Top Bottom