What's new

Thermometers

Tell me what thermometer(s) I need.

I'm in the market for a good digital thermometer. I've been looking at the Thermoworks RT600C

Mostly gonna be used for checking temps when I smoke things. Like to keep it under$40

The Thermoworks is $24 shipped

I use a Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer so I know the temps without opening the smoker. The RT600C is a great buy, I had one and gave it away.

Tell me what thermometer(s) I need.
I'm in the market for a good digital thermometer. I've been looking at the Thermoworks RT600C
Mostly gonna be used for checking temps when I smoke things. Like to keep it under$40
The Thermoworks is $24 shipped

For your purposes, checking smoked temps, it's perfect. Buy it. Even less expensive, I use this as I can calibrate it myself. Less than $10. If you really want digital precision, and you don't need it for what you;re doing, save up for the Thermapen Mk4.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I've seen some digital thermometers that operate by remote control. So you can be in the house and still monitor the cooking in the backyard. Some run on Bluetooth and have apps that you can control from your smartphone or tablet.

Personally, the best thermo/timer I ever had was one that I purchased on clearance fro Radio$hack. think I paid around $7 for it, it was originally around $30. It had pre-programs for Beef/Chicken/Pork/Lamb and you could set it for Rare/Medium/Well-done, etc.

I used it primarily for the timer functions. I used the temp-functions once in a while, but found I could just as easily eye-ball it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A couple of issues to consider.

Range for remote thermometers. They are not all equal. I started out with one that worked well with meat in the oven when I was in the next room. It could not cut it from my smoker in the back yard to the same spot . . . only about 25 or 30 feet away.

For grilling - it can quickly become painful to hold onto a thermometer waiting for a reading.

A couple of issues to consider.

Range for remote thermometers. They are not all equal. I started out with one that worked well with meat in the oven when I was in the next room. It could not cut it from my smoker in the back yard to the same spot . . . only about 25 or 30 feet away.

For grilling - it can quickly become painful to hold onto a thermometer waiting for a reading.

This. So much this.
[MENTION=106222]SlyMoose[/MENTION] -- it may be more money, but that reason right there is why the extra $ for the Thermoworks Thermapen is worth it. It reads in 2 secs or less, not 5 or 6. Those extra 3 seconds can get really painful if you forget your glove.
That said, you can't go wrong with any Thermoworks gear.

And as others have said the Maverick ET-733 is nice -- monitors two probes simultaneously (meat and grill temp, two grills, two meats) with individual alarm settings and has great wireless range.

For instant read thermometer it is hard to top Thermoworks. If you don't want to spend for the Mk4, take a look at their Thermopop. I don't have one but I know plenty who do and they like them. Will they last as long as an Mk4? Probably not but they will likely last long enough to justify the $20 price tag. Another option is the Taylor Precision. It runs less than $50 from Amazon and it performs very well. I've a few years use on mine and it still holds up. Maybe not quite as fast as my Thermoworks but it is close.

I've had a few thermoworks products over the years and they have all been solid.
The thermapen is so fast that when you get used to it, every other thermometer seems like it takes forever to read.

Thermoworks
Theromopen (mk4 and original)
DOT
Chefalarm
(Last two share wide range of probes)
Rock solid gear. Highly recommend.

I have the Maverick ET-632. I have gone through about 8 or 9 of the other ones. This one is a keeper. It's a little pricey; but, it's BBQ.

Remotely monitors your grill from up to 250 feet away, even inside your home
Receiver beeps when food or grill temperatures falls below or goes above pre-set limits
Extra-long food probe can be inserted up to 6-inches into food; Probes are heat-safe to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
Features easy-to-read LCD display with back-light for use at night or in low-light conditions
Clip to belt for carrying or use wire stand to keep upright on countertops or hang in any convenient location

Decided to pull the trigger on a Maverick 733 I really like the idea of being able to set in the house monitoring it and let it do its thing

Decided to pull the trigger on a Maverick 733 I really like the idea of being able to set in the house monitoring it and let it do its thing

Woot had a remote probe smoker thermo a few days ago. I looked and could not find the old email.

Remote probe

Broadcast range

Bluetooth

These are all good plus

sticking in a stand alone probe is fine for quick cooking.

For smoking, roasting, and other long term cooking, a remote probe and broadcast is a must!!

That said. I only have a Thermo direct read :sad:

proxy.php

Woot had a remote probe smoker thermo a few days ago. I looked and could not find the old email.

Remote probe

Broadcast range

Bluetooth

These are all good plus

sticking in a stand alone probe is fine for quick cooking.

For smoking, roasting, and other long term cooking, a remote probe and broadcast is a must!!

That said. I only have a Thermo direct read :sad:

proxy.php

Remote probes are definitely a plus! I smoked a pork butt Saturday and had to sit out by it for 8 hours, not fun!

Remote probes are definitely a plus! I smoked a pork butt Saturday and had to sit out by it for 8 hours, not fun!

Every year we smoke about 10 lbs of salmon (usually around my birthday in June when they are running).

Takes me about 8 hours. Never sure now long as I don't measure in hours, I usually measure it in beers. Most years I finish the last of the smoking when I am just starting into the second case

Top Bottom