What's new

Simpson Duke 3 vs Commodore X2

I've got a Simpson Duke 3 in Pure badger.:thumbup: I had ordered a Duke 3 in Best at an incredible price and long story short due to a shipping error by the vendor and him not being able to get the correct brush I wound up with the Duke 3 Pure Badger for free.:w00t: I like this brush:001_wub: and have been wanting to test a similar Simpson in Best.:drool: I had thought about waiting it out and hoping to get a deal on another Duke 3 in best, but have since been thinking that I don't want 2 Duke 3's. So Near as I can figure the Commodore X2 is close to the same knot size as the Duke 3. And I can purchase one of them for about the same price I initially was going to pay for the Duke 3.

What I was wondering is if anyone has both and if so, could you post a side by side picture. I'm seeing some vendors that say the knot on the Duke is a 23mm and others a 22mm. I'm also seeing the same type size differences in the Commodore. Can anyone verify the knot size and loft on the Commodore? Am I correct in thinking they are pretty close to the same?

I've got a Simpson Duke 3 in Pure badger.:thumbup: I had ordered a Duke 3 in Best at an incredible price and long story short due to a shipping error by the vendor and him not being able to get the correct brush I wound up with the Duke 3 Pure Badger for free.:w00t: I like this brush:001_wub: and have been wanting to test a similar Simpson in Best.:drool: I had thought about waiting it out and hoping to get a deal on another Duke 3 in best, but have since been thinking that I don't want 2 Duke 3's. So Near as I can figure the Commodore X2 is close to the same knot size as the Duke 3. And I can purchase one of them for about the same price I initially was going to pay for the Duke 3.

What I was wondering is if anyone has both and if so, could you post a side by side picture. I'm seeing some vendors that say the knot on the Duke is a 23mm and others a 22mm. I'm also seeing the same type size differences in the Commodore. Can anyone verify the knot size and loft on the Commodore? Am I correct in thinking they are pretty close to the same?

Are you serious? They still have not sent the Duke 3 Best you ordered back in February?

Did they refund your money?

They made the same error with me. After a month of excuses they sent me the Best brush and I returned the Pure brush. I see no reason to ever buy from Grooming Lounge again.

There is a lot of variation is Simpsons-for me this is part of the charm. You might check out the Superior Shave (https://thesuperiorshave.com) which has photos and dimensions of each Simpsons they stock.

I have a Duke 2 in best that is a top performer, definitely worth considering IMO.

Did they refund your money?

They made the same error with me. After a month of excuses they sent me the Best brush and I returned the Pure brush. I see no reason to ever buy from Grooming Lounge again.

Yes they refunded my money, therefore I got to keep the Pure for free.
I have no problem buying from them again.

Well I figured why not go straight to the source!

Hi Craig,

The Commodore X3 would be a great
choice, similar knots, perhaps not quite as big or dense.

Alternatively, the 58 or 59 would be
excellent choices also.

Assuring you of my best attention at all
times,

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark Watterson
Managing Director
Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Limited
The Brushworks
Ballafletcher Farm Road
Cronkbourne
Isle of Man
IM4 4QJ
(T) +44 1624 676030

So looks like I'll be ordering a Commodore X3.

Also got this response from them too:

Hi Craig,

Commodore X3 is the same knot size as a Duke 3 only difference is the handle.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards
Anna

Anna Dillon
Accounts Manager
Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Ltd
The Brushworks
Ballafletcher Road
Cronkbourne
Braddan
Isle of Man
IM4 4QJ
(T) 0044 1624 676030
(F) 0044 1624 662056
www.vulfixoldoriginal.com
www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com

proxy.php
proxy.php

So according to different people at Simpson the Commodore X3 has the same know size as the Duke 3.

I got the Commodore X3 Best Badger. I've used it 3 times now and I love it!
Holds the lather good and feels great on my face! Just a little bit less backbone than the Duke 3 Pure Badger.

Simpson Commodore X3 Best Badger
$Simpson-Commodore-X3-Journal.jpg

Duke 3 Pure Badger and Commodore X3 Best Badger
$Simpson-Commodore-X3-vs-Duke-3.jpg

Top Bottom