What's new

Wolfman

Finally got my Wolfman. Got the head from a fune member here and got the handle directly from Wolfman. It is a well built shaving maching.

This head is the one with the extra blade gap set at 74mm. It is a little aggressive but it shaves great. So my question is, to those who have tried both the standard blade gap at 61mm i think, and the extra blade gap at 74mm, is there a big noticeable difference in the aggressiveness? I came from using a merkur 34c so its a big difference, and im just wondering if this might be too aggressive for me, but my tech should improve to adjust to the wolfman.
$14692961082352138332769.jpg

I have the standard gap OC and it's very smooth. I sometimes add a shim because I like a little more blade feel than the standard gap. You could try putting a shim on top of the blade to reduce the blade gap and see if that makes a difference. Part of the problem might be just adjusting to the extra weight compared to the 34c. I had trouble with that when I first started shaving with SS razors, but now, that's all I use. James has really good customer service, so he might be willing to let you send it back and reduce the gap. I would give it several shaves though before deciding to do that.

I have the standard gap OC and it's very smooth. I sometimes add a shim because I like a little more blade feel than the standard gap. You could try putting a shim on top of the blade to reduce the blade gap and see if that makes a difference. Part of the problem might be just adjusting to the extra weight compared to the 34c. I had trouble with that when I first started shaving with SS razors, but now, that's all I use. James has really good customer service, so he might be willing to let you send it back and reduce the gap. I would give it several shaves though before deciding to do that.

You are right about it being different than the 34c. The blade exposure i think is where the big difference is for me, and it is alot heavier so it will be an adjustment. I dont want it to sound like i was complaining about the razor though because it is a wonderful razor and even though i havent learned it yet it shaves great.

By the way, what can i use as a shim?

Just cut the edges of of an old blade. Put the shim on the top cap, then put your blade on top of the shim. That will reduce the blade gap and exposure.

I have the standard gap and the 34C unfortunately I don't yet have the .74 blade gap yet, have to get on the Waitlist. I find the standard gap is smooth like the 34C but gives a much better shave, the secret is angle and pressure I find the wolf an angle to be less than my 34C and because the razor is heavy let it do the work, I think your 34C will collect dust

Won't be of much help I'm afraid as I've tried the standard, .67 and .74 and all of them are IMHO rather mild razor heads. I do prefer to use light handles (Ti and wood mostly). Most people will be pleased with the standard version and as said you can always send it back to be adjusted. Enjoy your Wolfman!

Finally got my Wolfman. Got the head from a fune member here and got the handle directly from Wolfman. It is a well built shaving maching.

This head is the one with the extra blade gap set at 74mm. It is a little aggressive but it shaves great. So my question is, to those who have tried both the standard blade gap at 61mm i think, and the extra blade gap at 74mm, is there a big noticeable difference in the aggressiveness? I came from using a merkur 34c so its a big difference, and im just wondering if this might be too aggressive for me, but my tech should improve to adjust to the wolfman.

I prefer the 74mm gap. If you find it's just a little aggressive, I would keep it and let my technique adjust. It took me a a week of so to dial it in. I use about a 15 degree handle angle ( from horizontal ). It also has enough of a gap to use a steep angle approach.

Congrats and enjoy your Wolfman!

Top Bottom