What's new

Lindy's Hitchhiker's Guide To Straight Razors

Got your towel?...
Good! Then let's get started!

So, where to start? Hmmm... Good question, but I guess the beginning ought to suffice for now...

What do I want out of this journal? Not a lot actually, just a place to store random ramblings, rants, ideas, bad ideas, stupid ideas, and rubber chickens. After all what's life without a good rubber chicken?

But what about shaving and straight razors?
Ah, yes I guess I ought to include that as well...

Backstory!?
Well yes, someone else may actually read this...
Oh good grief why!? And isn't there a 12 step program for that?
Yes I believe there is...
Good, they'll need it if they spend too much time here...
Okay, okay... The story... The story is that I've been shaving with a straight razor for just over a year now and loving it! My straight razor shave is every bit as good as my DE shave ever was, and in some ways better! This wasn't always so. It's taken practice, experimentation, and not being overly caffeinated...
That's what the towel is for isn't it?...
Yes, and the rubber chicken as well...
But...
Don't ask. The answer may cause a rift in the space/time continuum... Just keep calm and have your towel and rubber chicken handy...

My collection? Well, yes I do have a collection of straight razors...
How many?...
Hmmm... Good question. Haven't really counted them lately, must be at least 50 or so... Just got a new one in the mail today. A shoulderless faux frameback JR Torrey in nice shape, should clean up beautifully...

What about the rest?...
Really? Ya' gotta' go there?...
Well yes, actually...
You're quite mad you know...
Yes, I do know...
Alright then I'll get some pictures posted... Eventually
What about...
I think we've had quite enough of this for today... We'll talk again later...
Okay...

Welcome to the journals, and congrats on the mod contest win. That Torrey looks very similar to mine. Kind of identical, with the exception of the scales and possibly the tang.

Welcome to the journals, and congrats on the mod contest win. That Torrey looks very similar to mine. Kind of identical, with the exception of the scales and possibly the tang.

Thanks! Torreys are my favorite American razor. They made most all their razors from Swedish or Sheffield steel. The company history is kinda sad though. They were like the buggy whip maker that refused to believe that the horseless carriage would be popular =\
This one looks like it's only ever had light use... Most of the 'gook' looks to be 'box ageing' =)

Last edited:
Yeah, my Torrey was my first vintage straight, so I did a little research on the company. I recall reading that his sister was reduced to renting out rooms in their mansion to college students to pay the bills. I didn't know that about the steel though. Thanks for the info.

Oy... I think I need a drink... An I'm not talkin' 'bout some 100yr. old sissy swill that's been sprinkled wit pixie dust an aged in a barrel of uni-corn farts. I'm talkin' 'bout some gen-u-ine, double rectified, who-hit-John, busthead. Somethin' that goes down like yer drinkin' a chainsaw, an makes ya' pee fire fer a week. Because with something that rude you're not likely to over indulge =)

Crud... It's just been one of those days... Really didn't sleep for nothing last night... Spine feels like it's going to fall through my backside, and the Vikes aren't really doing much for it... Still, I did manage a nice shave though... I think I finally have the 'Cursed Blade' mastered... Went 7 straight days without blood!
Today's shave was:
Case Red Imp #133 aka 'The Cursed Blade'
Bison Horsehide strop
Institut Karité soap
Made-Rite 100 w/HMW knot brush
Thayer's Unscented WH
Clubman A/S

Even with the back having a mind of it's own I still got my road work in... 4mi. of power walk with Ben the Wonder Beagle... It's a wonder he's a beagle...

Naaa... He's just cooling his belly in the shade post walk =) Most days he goes at least 3mi. or so before he ducks out =D

I think I'll call this post 'The Random Splatterings of a Deranged Mind or What I Did on My Summer Vacation'

I don't happen to have a clad tang razor in my collection, and would dearly love to have one...
Enter the Gold Dollar!! <Muhahahahahaha>

Thought I'd leave this idea here to ferment... Oh, by the way do you have your towel and rubber chicken? Fermenting ideas can produce adverse reactions... Just sayin'...

You are not fooling me. I've got your number 42! &#8220;For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.&#8221; And then it started :wink2:

Do you have your towel? Rubber chicken? I can loan you a rubber chicken, just grab one from the OP, but I'm a little short of towels at the moment. There's an idea fermenting in this thread and I wouldn't want to see you caught out without either one. =)

Outstanding design Jon and of course the answer is as always........ 42 my Friend, my Towel is on Standby and the rubber chicken is in the suitcase securely packed for use:thumbup:

I have my towel, my thumb and the rubber chicken is hanging in the pantry :001_smile

Excellent! Oh, and I have to ask because I can't read it very well is that a Rodger Marris baseball in your avatar?

Last edited:
Outstanding design Jon and of course the answer is as always........ 42 my Friend, my Towel is on Standby and the rubber chicken is in the suitcase securely packed for use:thumbup:

Outstanding!Yea, that design has been rummaging around in my head for a couple weeks now. I'm thinking of doing it in bone, and I'll probably do a 'test run' in Micarta. =)

Outstanding!Yea, that design has been rummaging around in my head for a couple weeks now. I'm thinking of doing it in bone, and I'll probably do a 'test run' in Micarta. =)

That would look amazing with a bone Tang shield for sure and doing it in Micarta would definitely give you a great idea of how to go about it without ruining the bone as well:thumbup:

Yes, it is one of my favorites. I will show my collection in every-changing avatars. If you have a favorite player, I probably have his autograph on a ball. Collecting baseballs is my expensive obsession.

Very Cool! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for anyone from the '68 Detroit Tigers then! =)

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Yup! I had Al Kaline and Willie Horton flappin' in the spokes of my bicycle! Denny McLain wasn't as entertaining to watch as 'The Bird', but man could he throw! A double play between Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker was something to see, or at least hear Ernie Harwell call out on the radio! =)

Today's Shave:
Boker 'King Cutter'
Bison Horsehide strop
25mm Certifyd brush w/silvertip knot
Thayer's unscented WH
Nivea A/S balm

Declared a rest day from the walk as it's raining, and Ben said he'd just as soon take a nap anyway, but that's cool I really need to run the vacuum around the house at any rate.

Jon. You on the Journals, WOOHOO Catching up! nice blade design, and thanks for the interview today!! look forward to following your journal!!

Top Bottom