What's new

How are you enjoying the Great Outdoors in your area?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup...that's 104 for outside temp. I don't know what the heat index is. Air conditioner is working good; it went down to 78 before I got a little cool and turned it off.

$IMG_0001.jpg

As a Canadian these numbers always frighten me! :tongue_sm
However the last few days we've hovered around 40 degrees here and today is supposed to top around 45. Which I think in American is around 110 or 112? Was going to hike with the camera, think I'll sit and point it at birds from the shade.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
By getting my hikes in early. By 9 a.m. even, it's time to go home.

Hit a zillion spider webs yesterday- it's golden orb time of year (August usually). They are insanely large brain-sucking spiders, BTW.

AA

Went for a bike ride along the Allegheny & Ohio Rivers today, a rails to trails jaunt that goes past the ballparks, and other interesting sites. Twelve miles total, with my oldest son. Hot and muggy, but we were off the trail before it got brutal. Thunderstorms now, which is good, because we need the rain. :001_smile

We're hitting mid 90s everyday. I've been running 3 miles on an outdoor, roof-top track at noon most week days. If I'm lucky I'm able to catch a passing rain shower headed from the city out over the lake.

im a wimp for heat, the daily averages in my area is 80-90 with about 90% humidity, so when the heat is above 80 i do as little out doors as possible.

im a wimp for heat, the daily averages in my area is 80-90 with about 90% humidity, so when the heat is above 80 i do as little out doors as possible.

A friend of mine lives near Burlington. He visited me, driving his new truck. I asked him why in the world would he buy a truck without AC, and he laughed and told me he got the cold weather package instead. Made perfect sense, once I thought about it.

I'm winter person, so I'm not digging this heat :001_smile . It's been 90+ here for a while now. I still exercise every day out in it, though, and will be doing more lumberjacking this weekend, as usual.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
They are repaving and improving the road and pathways that run in front of our house. As a part of the overall project, they built a 10' wide, 3/4 of a mile pathway that runs from our road to another main road. It runs through some beautiful woods and open areas and part of it abuts a nature park.
When I walked it with Mycroft (my Boston Terrier) for the first time yesterday, we got to see a doe with her fawn. What a great addition to our community!
:thumbup1:

$Pathway 2.jpg $Pathway.jpg

Trail on adjacent nature park.
$Padgett Park.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With my tinder kit (Altoids tin with waxed jute and cotton balls/vaseline, and flint/steel striker ...

I lit a couple nice campfires recently.

We were in northern Alabama on a "waterfalls roadtrip." This is Little River Canyon ....

https://www.nps.gov/liri/index.htm

And another lazy hammock-with-boots shot.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures, Mike! We almost went up to Cheaha State Park and thought about hiking the Pinhoti-Chinabee-Skyway Loop, but it was just a bit too far a drive for our limited vacation time. Perhaps this fall.

Tomorrow afternoon we are headed out to Florida Caverns State Park for some camping, swimming, and of course, cave exploring. After a couple of days there we will head over to Lafayette Blue Springs State Park for swimming and relaxation in the freshwater spring. OF course we will have our hammocks strung up. :thumbup1: Depending on the weather we may do a nearby 10 mile hike. But mostly this is about the LOML and I having a chance to get out of town for a few days. It's been a while. Pics when we return.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpeg

Summer up here in the hills has been nice so far. No need to travel anywhere outside of 10 miles...or even my back yard for that matter

Went for a bike ride along the Allegheny & Ohio Rivers today, a rails to trails jaunt that goes past the ballparks, and other interesting sites. Twelve miles total, with my oldest son. Hot and muggy, but we were off the trail before it got brutal. Thunderstorms now, which is good, because we need the rain. :001_smile
I'm up in Butler. I love coming down to the Burgh with the bike. I'm down there very often on the weekends. We ride from Southside Riverfront Park to West Newton and back a lot.

Watched the fireworks on the 4th from a kayak on the Ohio. If you watch WPXI's video of the fireworks, I'm the front light furthest to the left.

proxy.php

Top Bottom