What's new

Sadly, I'm going to see how well a safe protects from fire

$image.jpg

Two doors down from the family camp.

Lighting strike, no one hurt. Extensive smoke damage in the cabin.

The owner is a good egg who cuts our grass and looks after our place when we are not there. He had about 25k worth in the safe, many with sentimental value. No rider so $2500 max insurance if it comes to that. I told him I'd loan him a rifle for deer hunting if he needs it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow.

After you see the how well the safe worked, post what brand and model it is.

Appropriate insurance is a good thing...and I don't have it either.

I will, one thing I do know is Carl made a last minute decision to pay a premium for a better fire rating.

I hope it works out.

Man i know how tough a fire can be. Glad no one was hurt, thats the most important thing. Hopefully the contents of the safe are ok. Will pray for them.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow.

After you see the how well the safe worked, post what brand and model it is.

Appropriate insurance is a good thing...and I don't have it either.

All of my firearms are insured separately from everything else in the home for full replacement value.

That looks like a better quality safe. If I had to guess I would say that all the firearms survived. Hopefully anyway.

Just took my $10,000 rider off last week. Switching to NRA insurance for future coverage. Had a theft claim they worked for me last year, service was very good.
Rates are a LOT better than my homeowners.

I heard most safes can withstand a little while of fire, but when the FD sprays with water, it gets in, and if the valuables aren't waterproof...

Good luck!

Usually a homeowners policy covers firearms loss due to fire up the the policy limit on personal property. Mine does....the limit people often think of, usually $2500, is for theft.

For theft and all other perils, I have a separate policy thru Eastern Insurance. It is $35k of coverage for $125 a year. My guns are covered on the road as well as at home with it.

As far as that "safe" goes. It looks like a typical RSC, not a safe. Even the best fire rated RSC usually isn't effective in a total burn down.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow that's so sad! Sentimental value is worth more than anything. I hope the contents of that safe survived.

So what is some good insurance that we should have for our guns? What companies? is the NRA offered insurance good?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It would be interesting to know if there was any ammo in the safe and if any of it "cooked off". Perhaps [MENTION=259]ouch[/MENTION] could tell us, LOL!

Top Bottom