What's new

Looking for a scrubby face lather boar

Hi All.
I am face latherer, and feel I've got the softer side of things down. I have found that I don't like the scritch offered by badgers, but I am partial to the scrub of boars. I am now looking for a scrubby boar brush.

I have an Omega 10005 that currently sits in that slot, but its not perfect. But that is sort of what I am looking for with maybe more backbone/density. My daily driver is the semogue 1470, with an SOC/49 thrown in for variety. What should I be looking for? Advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

I would definitely recommend taking a look at Omega 49 or Proraso shaving brush. The loft dimensions on these ones seem perfect for me. A great balance of a big loft cut just long enough so the bristles won't feel too long. The scrub is there, more pronounced than on Omega 10066. I find the dimensions of this particular loft ideal for face lathering.

First of all, I bought a Semogue 610 .
Then I took the scissors and the trimmer , cut the top of the knot to make the shape Flat.
Then I got the knot size 20/45 mm . Every day for 1 week I 've made a lather in a bowl with a raised bottom to give knot's elasticity .
At this moment I have the perfect shaving brush for face lather.
Here is a photo before and after .

Knot before 20/51 mm Bulb shape

$attachment.jpg

Knot after 20/45 mm Flat shape

$2016-07-23-12-26-54.jpg

Folks talk more about Whipped Dog badger brushes, but he also sells a boar bush that is very "scrubby"... certainly my most "scrubby" boar brush (among Semogue 1305, Semogue SOC, and two B&B brushes).

I would definitely recommend taking a look at Omega 49 or Proraso shaving brush. The loft dimensions on these ones seem perfect for me. A great balance of a big loft cut just long enough so the bristles won't feel too long. The scrub is there, more pronounced than on Omega 10066. I find the dimensions of this particular loft ideal for face lathering.

+1

I love my Omega 49. Have had it about 3 months and it's beautifully broken in. Scrubby with just enough softness.

First of all, I bought a Semogue 610 .
Then I took the scissors and the trimmer , cut the top of the knot to make the shape Flat.
Then I got the knot size 20/45 mm . Every day for 1 week I 've made a lather in a bowl with a raised bottom to give knot's elasticity .
At this moment I have the perfect shaving brush for face lather.
Here is a photo before and after .

Knot before 20/51 mm Bulb shape

View attachment 675452

Knot after 20/45 mm Flat shape

View attachment 675453

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions, never thought about cutting the not. After searching around I have seen the whipped dog recommended before. That will be something I check out. As I mentioned in the OP, I already own a 49, and that brush is not scrubby imo. No backbone. I've also seen the omega 40033 recommended. I'm not sure I want to shell out 40 bucks for a WD, so that might be an option. Might just put this on the back burner for now, thanks for the suggestions.

Easy Proraso Boar 57mm x 27mm knot - trust me, it is what you are looking for to a 'T'

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Well, he said that he does not like the 49. Proraso brush is very similar to that one.
Shorter loft and scrubby not floppy in the least. Love it compared to 1800, 1250, 620, SOC. Substantial brush. A lot of vendors do not accurately list the true dimensions of these brushes. The 48 & 49 have higher lofts.

The scrubbiest brush I own is a Semogue 620 ... in fact, its TOO scrubby for normal use.
I keep it in the shower stall and use it to apply pre-shave when I want extra exfoliation.

Here are some shots - forgot to take 1800 out of storage.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Still think the Proraso is a sleeper brush and that it should be recommended more than its higher lofted cousins in general. I liked my 10066 very much but would not consider it scrubby. I had a 10019 that was scrubby as could be, but it did not hold enough for three passes. The Semogue 1800 is scrubby, it has a pronounced glue bump and it struggles to lather like the Proraso and 10066 brush.

That is what makes the forum fun though - we all value different things and enjoy different characteristics of brushes, soaps, razors and styles.

Top Bottom