What's new

Today's shave: blooming soap pucks does work

$20160722_113939.jpgThis is the awesome lather I got off my Van Der Hagen puck this morning. Better lather gives better results, and a lot more glycerin. Just submerge the puck for a few minutes, pour off the water, fill up your brush, build the lather on your face. Works awesome even with the humble VDH soap.

Last edited:
Some folks swear by blooming, some swear against it. I find myself somewhere in the middle, glad you found what works for you!

I find that blooming might save a little time in loading the brush with hard soaps, but I generally don't bother with it. Even hard, triple-milled soaps lather quote easily with a good quality, Plisson-type synthetic brush, which is about all I use any more.

I like the bloom. I found that NOT pouring off the water works well. Used AoS Lavender last night. Bloomed the puck while showering. By the time I got out, I had a nice slick film on the soap that I just started to work with my silvertip. The brush soaked up the water and loaded quickly. I wound up with a luxurious moist lather. Great shave.

I'm not much of a bloomer myself...most of my soaps tend to be on the softer side. However, I have been known to do a small bloom on particularly hard to load soaps. I normally just put a little water on the top of a puck while I am in the shower. Usually by the time I am ready to load the water has absorbed in and the top is much softer. Anyway...glad you discovered a technique that works for you.

great lather! Do whatever works for you, no matter what others might say. I personally prefer a light "bloom" before loading my brush. It's not quite as necessary with soft soaps, but then you might prefer a wetter brush with those. Dial in your soaps any way you can until you are satisfied with the soaps performance.:thumbup:
x1

I like to bloom all my soaps. I prefer soaps over creams. The bloom water is so slick I just massage it into my face start my loading. Just did it earlier with tabac. Face lather 2 pass and a clean up with soap on the brush when I was done. I think shaving routines sometimes change for now this is what I like to do.

Top Bottom