What's new

Kids & Knives = Fun & Imagination

Sad, isn't it. I carried a pocket knife, a TOOL when I was 7. My dad showed me how to use that TOOL and held me responsible for it's proper use. I still carry one today, as does my son. Just sad what girls we've allowed our sons to become....

If you consider calling a boy "a girl" to be an insult, I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Come on guys. I never intended this to be a debate on knives, name calling or insulting to anyone. What the heck is going on here?

It was just showing off our kids having fun in a safe, adult supervised situation and the items they produced. I don't care if people have issues with kids and knives, that is up to their parents and shouldn't be part of this topic.

My apologies for starting off on that tangent Bruce. Sometimes I'd like to bring out the wayback machine and have it more like this:

Raising them right indeed! They're learning good skills, and looks like they're having a blast doing it.

I am not a parent, but if I were I would always be seeking those moments with my children like you've posted here. Camping as a whole was one of my favorite vacation experiences as a young one!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My apologies for starting off on that tangent Bruce. Sometimes I'd like to bring out the wayback machine and have it more like this:

I am not a parent, but if I were I would always be seeking those moments with my children like you've posted here. Camping as a whole was one of my favorite vacation experiences as a young one!
Same here. Seeing the OP's pictures reminded me of when I was a kid. We didn't do a lot of typical vacations like going to the beach, but always went camping 10-12 times a year. Great times.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you consider calling a boy "a girl" to be an insult, I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Sorry. Meant no harm. I'm just an old fert stuck in the past. Love boys and girls, neither is worth more or less than the other based on their sex. I'm just sad that a KID of either sex can't live in a world where knives are tools first and weapons second. Again, sorry,

FarmerTan

Great on the slingshot...pride of workmanship. He'll remember that forever.

Hey, minor cuts happen...even when you aren't handling a sharp object. Dad, and Granddad, made me cut away from myself when I was a kid until I got to know how the knife would cut the wood better. Then I went to the thumb on the wood and drawing it toward your thumb. Dad also showed me how to hold the angle and sharpen a knife on a brick.

I was just poking around and found this little thing...kinda nice.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/12/12/a-beginners-guide-to-whittling/

I'll have to look into picking up one of the Opinel ones; I've heard nothing but good things about them. This little thing has been my EDC for years...a Case mini stockman. It opens boxes, letters, cuts string or rope, acts as a screw driver, staple remover, pry bar, etc. I used to carry a regular sized stockman but the mini sure carries well.

View attachment 675391

Case makes a great knife. I got one as gift from a young lady that worked as a nurse's aide for me in a Long Term Care center. It was her late father's. I treasure it, as she thought enough of me to do me such an honor.

FarmerTan

Come on guys. I never intended this to be a debate on knives, name calling or insulting to anyone. What the heck is going on here?

It was just showing off our kids having fun in a safe, adult supervised situation and the items they produced. I don't care if people have issues with kids and knives, that is up to their parents and shouldn't be part of this topic.

Sorry.

Dual purpose, elastic gun/spear, used to ward off Saber Tooth Tigers in the Ontario Provincial Parks.

proxy.php

Awesome! I wasn't aware saber tooth tigers were a big threat nowadays, but at least now I know how to be prepared.

my mom brought me, over the weekend my childhood pocket knife. It was a gift from Indian guides. I forgot all about it. It's inscribed my name my father's name "pals forever" 1980. That puts me at 6 years old. I don't remember when my dad actually let me play with it. I do remember being mad I couldn't!

Awesome! I wasn't aware saber tooth tigers were a big threat nowadays, but at least now I know how to be prepared.
I wasn't either until one of the kids told me. Now I'm on the lookout for them, slingshot ready to take one down, but haven't had to pull it out yet.
my mom brought me, over the weekend my childhood pocket knife. It was a gift from Indian guides. I forgot all about it. It's inscribed my name my father's name "pals forever" 1980. That puts me at 6 years old. I don't remember when my dad actually let me play with it. I do remember being mad I couldn't!
That is 100% awesome.

Gave my sons Opinels for there birthdays this year and got a couple for myself.
That's what our kids got a couple years ago, myself too. They are fantastic knives.

They are already angling for more of them. We are also looking at the MAM brand of liner lock knives.

I introduced another outdoor, non-electronic activity to the kids today. We had a blast and they both did very well.

Set up a small catchbox, some containers, cans and then they wanted to do a 10 shot target to bring home.

proxy.php

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good on ya Bruce...good on ya. Some nice shooting there, and with a little practice those groups will tighten right up. It seems that I've found myself spending too much time in front of the computer and T.V. lately...need to remedy that.

At their age, a .22 rifle seems appropriate after they learn how to use the pellet rifle safely.

Oh, are .22 rifles okay to have there or do you have to go to a sanctioned firing range to store and use them?

I'm fully trained and have taken all the courses in handling firearms of any classification, but I don't have my license. This is my Gamo Expomatic 2000 from when I was a kid, full wood stock, 25 shot spring tube feeder, hinge break, 495 ft/s.

Long guns are free to be purchased and stored without the use of gun lockers, registering or having to get an ATT (authorization to transport). Handguns are range only. If we really got into it, we would probably look at getting me my license and get a high power pellet rifle. I believe the Gamo can me modded to give it much more kick too.

By end the of outting, they were already improving. I was happy with my first 10 shots on a target (only from 10m with the kids) in 20y. I adjusted the sight after I got home, hopefully that will account for the left of bullseye grouping.

We could have been shooting a few weeks ago, but they kept loosing focus when I was going over the "Acts & Prove" with them. One strike, we don't go and try again in a week. They finally sat through it and smartened up.

It was a blast and they were quite excited and proud to come home and show off their targets to Mom.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom