What's new

Kids & Knives = Fun & Imagination

Here are a few things the kids have been working on the past couple of days while camping.

A zombie killer spike, dagger, dip pen, beetle masher and a couple of slingshots that fire sunflower seeds and pine cones into my wife's Beach towel on the clothes line. Needless to say, my wife isn't the biggest fan of our slingshot backdrop.

proxy.php

Working on something:
proxy.php

A knife fight:
proxy.php

Banded up a frame:
proxy.php

Last edited:
I really like those Opinel knives at the far right ... I've always wanted to get a few as EDCs and to keep in my lunch bag at work.

Raising them right indeed! If you lived down here in California and gave those kids tools (knives) you'd be arrested for child endangerment. They're learning good skills though, and looks like they're having a blast doing it.

I really like those Opinel knives at the far right ... I've always wanted to get a few as EDCs and to keep in my lunch bag at work.
They are dirt cheap and high quality, you can't go wrong with them. You won't be heartbroken if you loose it or someone walks away with it either.

All my whittling and slingshot making is done with an Opinel No. 8 Caebone that cost me all of $15

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Seems like you're teaching them well Bruce...they ain't whittling TOWARD themselves. :001_smile

Looks like a fun trip; how they doin' with the slingshots?

Seems like you're teaching them well Bruce...they ain't whittling TOWARD themselves. :001_smile

Looks like a fun trip; how they doin' with the slingshots?
We've had one minor cut, nothing serious. They got the Opinel knives a few years ago for Christmas and love using them around the campsite.

The slingshot he made is holding up well. He was quite proud of himself after the first shot went blasting into the towel.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

proxy.php

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your Opinel, man.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We've had one minor cut, nothing serious. They got the Opinel knives a few years ago for Christmas and love using them around the campsite.

The slingshot he made is holding up well. He was quite proud of himself after the first shot went blasting into the towel.

Great on the slingshot...pride of workmanship. He'll remember that forever.

Hey, minor cuts happen...even when you aren't handling a sharp object. Dad, and Granddad, made me cut away from myself when I was a kid until I got to know how the knife would cut the wood better. Then I went to the thumb on the wood and drawing it toward your thumb. Dad also showed me how to hold the angle and sharpen a knife on a brick.

I was just poking around and found this little thing...kinda nice.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/12/12/a-beginners-guide-to-whittling/

I'll have to look into picking up one of the Opinel ones; I've heard nothing but good things about them. This little thing has been my EDC for years...a Case mini stockman. It opens boxes, letters, cuts string or rope, acts as a screw driver, staple remover, pry bar, etc. I used to carry a regular sized stockman but the mini sure carries well.

$IMG_0004.jpg

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION]....

That's a great idea for learning for the kids and you...

And thanks in advance to you and the kids for keeping us safe from Zombies.... :laugh:

Raising them right indeed! If you lived down here in California and gave those kids tools (knives) you'd be arrested for child endangerment.

Nonsense. There's a huge difference between having a knife on a camping trip and a kid carrying one around in an urban or suburban setting.

Nonsense. There's a huge difference between having a knife on a camping trip and a kid carrying one around in an urban or suburban setting.
I agree! Although I actually live in a fairly rural area and I still feel that if I were to even allow my kids to do this with my supervision, in our own backyard, that the neighbors would be suspicious at the very least. It seems to be a mindset in this region.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree! Although I actually live in a fairly rural area and I still feel that if I were to even allow my kids to do this with my supervision, in our own backyard, that the neighbors would be suspicious at the very least. It seems to be a mindset in this region.
Sad, isn't it. I carried a pocket knife, a TOOL when I was 7. My dad showed me how to use that TOOL and held me responsible for it's proper use. I still carry one today, as does my son. Just sad what girls we've allowed our sons to become....

Top Bottom