What's new

Chikuhodo brush

Has anyone tried one of these? Knot is made of "water badger" hair. They look pretty on the visageusa.com Web site. Not too pricey either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried one of these? Knot is made of "water badger" hair. They look pretty on the visage.com Web site. Not too pricey either.

Another member has posted my link to this brush, which I sold through B-S-T (I still have one). The review speaks for itself, but I have another post that might be of interest to you from a few years back:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...h-from-Japan?p=7101753&highlight=#post7101753

It sparked in interest in Japanese brushes that I'm continuing to pursue (with some difficulty, as many of the most interesting brushes there are only sold to the trade for some reason). Japan became a center of brush making for calligraphy in the late 19th century. Those makers live on, but because people don't write with brushes anymore the craft and its artisans are vanishing. In an effort to stay alive they've branched out into extreme high-end cosmetic brushes, and a few shaving brushes that are of amazing quality.

DGI

I have it.
Very floppy, better use with creams.

I was hoping that the version with the shorter loft might provide a little more backbone. We'll see. Either way, this is my first Japanese shaving brush and (of course) my first brush that has mongoose hair :thumbup1: - reminds me of my childhood and Riki Tiki Tavi.

Tim

Last edited:
I have it.
Very floppy, better use with creams.

I use the larger one, which I refer to as "King Floppy" (it's the one I sold my duplicate of on B-S-T). I've never used it with a cream. I find that it lathers soaps beautifully, with some technique involved. But I'd just like to put out there that if you prefer hard soaps it shouldn't turn you away from this brush. With long-fibered "water badger" it's all about working the tips and short back and forth strokes.

DGI

I use the larger one, which I refer to as "King Floppy" (it's the one I sold my duplicate of on B-S-T). I've never used it with a cream. I find that it lathers soaps beautifully, with some technique involved. But I'd just like to put out there that if you prefer hard soaps it shouldn't turn you away from this brush. With long-fibered "water badger" it's all about working the tips and short back and forth strokes.

DGI

Intriguing! Thanks to all who replied. I'm still awaiting more reports based on actual shaves, but I may not be able to resist much longer.

Top Bottom