What's new

Aftershaves to try out?

If you are a fan of Menthol and face freeze, B&M Artique is a good choice.
I tend to spend most of my time using Floid Blue and Clubman Pinaud

I really like Mickey Lee Soap Works aftershaves. Been using the Grand Havana soap and AS a lot.

Just got Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (did I spell check that right?) Good Vibrations Cologne/AS, and if you like Sandalwood, vanilla and general woodiness, it is worth every penny (and it lasts over 8 hours for me too).

I also enjoy using Figaro Monsieur, it has a vanilla-ish scent to it. Amici from ItalianBarber is good and super cheap, but it is very lemon scented.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
+1
Also if you have any thrift stores or antique shops around check out vintage Avon. It can be found dirt cheap and is actually very good. Spicy, Deep Woods, and Wild Country are easy to find, and some great ones to try.:thumbup1:
I'm a vintage Avon snob, lol. The only one I've tried and wasn't fond of was the only one they still make: Wild Country! For a while, maybe 15 yrs ago they put out a scent called Wild Country Outback that I loved. And since I loved it, they of course discontinued it! It routinely comes up on eBay for around $50 a bottle NOS! My favorite vintage Avon scents are Blend 7, which is only available as an AS, not a cologne, I believe, and Tai Winds. Tai Winds is available as a cologne, and the difference between the two is only in the fact that the cologne lasts a little longer.

Last edited:
I'll throw in my recommendation for Stirling's Island Man. It has a coconut note, but it's not "in your face" coconut. It's inspired after Creed's Virgin Island Water, and, IMO is very, very close. The projection and longevity is average-to-good for an aftershave, and it checks all the boxes for an aftershave's performance as far I'm concerned.

I also like Fine's aftershaves, and Wet Shaving Products aftershaves. Both good in my book as well.

The neat thing is, many of the above mentioned products won't break the bank so you can pick up four or five (or twenty) for the price you'd pay for a bottle of designer cologne. Experiment away!

I'm a vintage Avon snob, lol. The only one I've tried and wasn't fond of was the only one they still make: Wild Country! For a while, maybe 15 yrs ago they put out a scent called Wild Country Outback that I loved. And since I loved it, they of course discontinued it! It routinely comes up on eBay for around $50 a bottle NOS! My favorite vintage Avon scents are Blend 7, which is only available as an AS, not a cologne, I believe, and Tai Winds. Tai Winds is available as a cologne, and the difference between the two is only in the fact that the cologne lasts a little longer.

My grandpa collected the old AVON aftershave bottles. I remember looking at them all when I was a kid back in the 70's. So I have no idea how old they were. From the 50's or 60's I'd guess. I bet he had at least 50 of them. I remember lots of cars, pipes, animals, birds, guns, etc. He died over 20 years ago and I have no idea what happened to them all. I suppose they got tossed. I'd kind of like to have them now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My grandpa collected the old AVON aftershave bottles. I remember looking at them all when I was a kid back in the 70's. So I have no idea how old they were. From the 50's or 60's I'd guess. I bet he had at least 50 of them. I remember lots of cars, pipes, animals, birds, guns, etc. He died over 20 years ago and I have no idea what happened to them all. I suppose they got tossed. I'd kind of like to have them now.

My dad always got lots of Avon from our neighbor as Christmas, birthday , etc. gifts. Miss those days, and him.

This is probably a dumb question, but when people say "Clubman Pinaud" without referring to any specific scent, are they referring to the
"After Shave Lotion" product?

you are safe to try anything from Myrsol, Floid, Proraso, Pinaud, and Fine. Captains Choice and Krampert's are good bay rum aftershaves, as well.

This is probably a dumb question, but when people say "Clubman Pinaud" without referring to any specific scent, are they referring to the
"After Shave Lotion" product?

Pinaud is the maker and Clubman is the scent yes in the aftershave and a very good one

Pinaud is the maker and Clubman is the scent yes in the aftershave and a very good one

I guess that's what's confusing me. When I look up Pinaud Clubman, all the scents are called Pinaud Clubman. So there is Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion, Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum, Pinaud Clubman Vanilla, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, etc.

I guess that's what's confusing me. When I look up Pinaud Clubman, all the scents are called Pinaud Clubman. So there is Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion, Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum, Pinaud Clubman Vanilla, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, etc.

They are all aftershaves. Pinaud Clubman makes a range of scents. You have to apply them to your body to appreciate many of them. They can smell odd just sniffed from the bottle.

Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion - your classic American Barbershop Scent. If you've ever gone to a barber they might have put some Pinaud Clubman talc on a brush before getting the hair off of your smock. This stuff smells like that. It lasts for a few hours and smells nice. This is clean, classic, a little floral, and a little powdery. I recommend it, although I don't use it often. Buy a smaller bottle or transfer to glass with a good you won't use it often. It seems to turn within a year or so of opening and gets notes of skunk.

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve - Smells like old oiled baseball glove, freshly sharpened cedar pencils, powder, and dark cinnamon, dark earthy patchouli, & a touch of carnation. Eventually settles down to sightly sweet power and baseball glove. Easily lasts 12 hours on me. I really like this one, and went though a bottle very quickly.

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum (aka VIBR)- said to be a clove-heavy bay rum. I have some on order.

yes I love Pinaud Clubman After Shave and Special Reserve I have the bay rum but not struck on it

I have the Clubman Aftershave lotion that I bought a couple months ago. The other day before I put some on and took a whiff of the bottle, and thought I smelled a little skunk. I thought I was going crazy. So after you said that, I went and gave it another smell, and yep, it has some skunk smell to it. Does it go bad that fast????

Update: the comment of the glass bottle got me thinking. That air exposure could be causing the skunk smell. So I cleaned off the cap and the outside of the bottle that the cap covers using some isopropyl alcohol. After that, no more skunk. :)

Last edited:
I have the Clubman Aftershave lotion that I bought a couple months ago. The other day before I put some on and took a whiff of the bottle, and thought I smelled a little skunk. I thought I was going crazy. So after you said that, I went and gave it another smell, and yep, it has some skunk smell to it. Does it go bad that fast????

Update: the comment of the glass bottle got me thinking. That air exposure could be causing the skunk smell. So I cleaned off the cap and the outside of the bottle that the cap covers using some isopropyl alcohol. After that, no more skunk. :)

we did a test and its the plastic bottle that skunks the scent recant into a glass bottle and it will be fine he is mine in glass bottles

$DSCF0090.jpg

Plastic bottle on the left and glass on right and I noticed within a week

Top Bottom