What's new

How do I prevent horse hair brushes from tangling?

I just put together a second horsehair brush. A brown 23.5mm Virginia Sheng knot set at 51mm. I just lathered it with some Ivory soap to clean it and defunkify it. I tangled up some of the bristles already. I had a blond knot from the same vendor 25mm at 53mm and it tangled so much I threw the knot away.

I use boar/badger/synthetic brushes and have never had this issue face lathering. Any recommendations on how to prevent this?

Thanks!

Pete

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Used some mild shampoo and conditioner on it, rinsed it and gently brushed it with a wide-toothed comb wife has.

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have the same knot and what I have found is you have to stay away from making circles with it for a little while and it does help to use a comb,I use my wife's pick and it works great
don't give up on it yet ,I have 2 and I count them as 2 of my favorite brushes

I have the 24mm PC woodcraft horse knot in a couple restores and it is super soft and doesn't tangle at all. Maybe try that out.

I have the same knot and what I have found is you have to stay away from making circles with it for a little while and it does help to use a comb,I use my wife's pick and it works great
don't give up on it yet ,I have 2 and I count them as 2 of my favorite brushes

Thank you Graydog! I had read that you really liked the knot and hope that I will get there too. It is the only knot type I do not have and really want to see how it is. I did use some B&M Latha Oceana in the knot this morning to let it sit in the knot to defunkify the horse smell. When loading it - only did back and forth motions in a palm lather.

I have the 24mm PC woodcraft horse knot in a couple restores and it is super soft and doesn't tangle at all. Maybe try that out.

Thank you Steve - I have not used them for knots before and definitely will check them out - thank you!

Get a lasso!

Thank you BSAGuy for the chuckle - the only thing that may get lassoed is me by my wife any time I sit down and go to order something at the keyboard. The argument that this is a good hobby to save money long ago lost any validity with SWMBO.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I know what you are going through with your wife, My wife's the same way. I have 2 brushes with that knot and I like it a lot more than any of my badger brushes, they can be used in a figure 8 motion also. In my experience after a little while I started going back to the circle and I tried to use a combination of both. Then I used the comb after when I rinse it out and then flick the water out. Like I said I really love the way they feel and hold lather. And the lasso might work too

You don't use them as shaving brushes but as painting brushes. As long as you keep using swirling motions, they will tangle. In my opinion, those that do that are defective and shouldn't be sold as functional shaving brushes.

I know what you are going through with your wife, My wife's the same way. I have 2 brushes with that knot and I like it a lot more than any of my badger brushes, they can be used in a figure 8 motion also. In my experience after a little while I started going back to the circle and I tried to use a combination of both. Then I used the comb after when I rinse it out and then flick the water out. Like I said I really love the way they feel and hold lather. And the lasso might work too
Thank you Graydog.

Used the brush today with just painting strokes with a Palmolive stick. It worked well and did not tangle, but loaded soap directly on face and made sure no circular motion. I will do that for the first 4/5 uses and see where it is at.

proxy.php

I use a Vie-Long horse hair, and have never had any issues with tangles.

Perhaps pressing down too hard when swirling? Not sure why it happens.

Might have to get a Vie-Long and see if they are different. Thank you!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Labrax, I used my black ever - ready yesterday and I had no problems with tangle, I used the swirl motion to load and apply the soap. I think that you will have no issues with it after a little while, I also have a Vie-long and it works well but that takes away from the fun of making a old brush new. Did I read somewhere that you have a Strat?

Labrax, I used my black ever - ready yesterday and I had no problems with tangle, I used the swirl motion to load and apply the soap. I think that you will have no issues with it after a little while, I also have a Vie-long and it works well but that takes away from the fun of making a old brush new. Did I read somewhere that you have a Strat?
I do, but it was more of a pre-midlife crisis for me an an attempt to bond with my teen daughter. I bought us each a cheap Squire Strat copy and attempted to learn to play. Unfortunately, I never followed through to be able to play the blues. I have it sitting next to the TV in the den though and keep telling myself that I will pick it up again. My brother plays bass, drums keyboard - so genetically I hope there is some connection.

You must play the guitar and be fond of Strats?

Nice looking brush by the way
Thank you. I bought 6 of these Frank Shaving 2nd brushes from a Chinese seller on Ebay from $2 to $5 and have been using those as donor handles recently. Before that I was using vintage handles like Ever-Ready. I was hoping to put the other one in a clear lucite handle, or another vintage handle I have hanging around. I may just throw it in a Burma Shave boar handle similar to the old Ever Ready red over cream handles.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have a Texas Longstrar, I too went through the middle age thing. I love the way a Strat sounds when someone knows how to play it and that's not me.

I have horse brushes that are 7 or 8 years old without any tangles. Only use about one third of the loft for loading and lathering. Do not splay horse brushes or get carried away with swirling, After rinsing thoroughly, violently flick out remaining water (1 or 2 should suffice) and allow to air dry.

Top Bottom