What's new

Star double edge razors.

I heard he was pretty pleased as well. And undeniably the razor looks better and is in better hands now.

She is happy in her new loving home, her threads are sporting a couple of coats of exterior varnish to seal her Zamak, and a wrap of Teflon to lessen the metal to metal contact. She returned the favor with a mild smooth shave today. We are happy together. View attachment 675178

I have a couple from England in silver that are branded Treet.

They're the one that look like the gold ones that have the little squares in the knurling on the handle.

I think one I have is another brand name too. I'll have to look tomorrow though.

I got the two silver colored ones at different times from England in with other razors. One is Star and one is Treet.

The gold one is still in the wrapper with a pack of blades. I had one years ago exactly like it that I found NOS in one of those giant kits that is a big boot brush. This particular one I don't recall when I acquired it.

They're all made in USA though I'm certain that I got the silver colored ones from the UK.

I found a completed listing of another that is branded Personna too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-P...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$IMG_20160722_224215.jpg

$IMG_20160722_224248.jpg

$IMG_20160722_224318.jpg

$IMG_20160722_224329.jpg

$IMG_20160722_224352.jpg

I really wish there was some way to date these razors, even just to know what decade they were made.

Arrr, she's a beauty she is mate! :pirate:

Just two digits for the year would have been fantastic! This was a successful company, and was in business not that long ago, how can there be so little information available? Most of the history you find is old history and single edged razors.

Can anyone give a basic timeline for the production of Star DE razors?

I have the gold Star DE razor with the attractive knurled golden handle. This is what I know about it:

It was sold as Model 100, circa 1946 to circa 1959. I believe mine was made in 1957 from my interpretation of a code on the instruction sheet. The retail price was $1.00. It is a mild shaver, slightly more aggressive than the Gillette Tech. Best with a Feather blade, as I have tough whiskers. The razor is somewhat similar to a Gillette Tech, but with better appearance, superior engineering, and higher build quality. Beautiful non slip handle. "Coat hanger" shaped safety guard reduces soap clogging. Pins are notched for tighter fit and added stability. Very nice balance in the hand. The gold Star DE Model 100 is an underappreciated and attractive 3 piece razor. I love it and would never part with it, though my tough whiskers wish it were a tad more aggressive. The picture on post #10 shows exactly my razor and its box.

Last edited:
When I got my Star DE razor several years ago, I had a lot of questions about the razor's history and background, the same questions you guys are asking on the thread. I developed a love affair with the Star DE and I spent days scouring the web for what little info is available.

What I shared above on this thread are the results of my searches. There were minor differences of opinions found on the web, as there always are, but I noted the dots and connected the dots the best I could. I feel my information about the Star Model 100 DE is largely correct, and I consider it to be true, until I see clear and convincing evidence to the contrary.

It was not marketed during the Great Depression. People had little money and during the 1930's many lesser razors went out of business. It was not marketed during WW2 because of the war effort and shortages of material. So the 1946 start up date cited in other sources seems reasonable. Post war America was hungry for consumer goods. The demise of the Star DE in the late 1950's was spearheaded by the appearance of the Fat Boy and the presence of the wonderful Super Speeds.

This is a hugely interesting thread to me. I consider the Star DE razor to be the most underappreciated and most overlooked razor in "razordom." It is superior to the Tech in performance and especially in appearance. It's a shame the Star DE didn't become more popular, and give the Gillette Tech stronger competition at the marketplace. But it was a "David and Goliath" situation. The Star DE with its superior engineering, better build, and beautiful appearance retailed for about twice the price of the Gillette Tech. My 1957 Star DE box said $1 dollar, and in 1961 I bought a Gillette Tech and I recall the retail price to be .49 cents. And maybe that tells the tale.

Last edited:
Just picked one up from eBay, thanks to this thread. My first vintage razor! A couple of small pits in the plating on top, but otherwise nice shape after I cleaned and sanitized it. Tried it tonight with a Personna red on its 2nd shave and got a nice close shave. :001_smile A few nicks but I'm trying out blades too, so I'll put this one back in my HD and see how it goes for my next shave.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom