What's new

47 years ago tonight

I was ten years old when this happened and I still remember it like it happened yesterday - glued to the b&w TV with the rest of the family. I think I remember it so well because the next day, July 21 was my birthday so I was excited about everything ;-)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was 1 when this happened, and still love anything Apollo. That is why my grail watch is an Omega Speedmaster Pro.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I was 17. I remember it well. Four years later I got a Speedmaster Pro for my 21st birthday. Beautiful watch. Dropped it in the river wah:blush:

I remember the crowds hanging around the TVs in the U of AZ Student Union watching this event... quite astonishing.

I was 10, also. Never forget watching Neil Armstrong descending the LEM ladder on a 12" black and white TV in my parent's bedroom.

I was ten years old when this happened and I still remember it like it happened yesterday - glued to the b&w TV with the rest of the family. I think I remember it so well because the next day, July 21 was my birthday so I was excited about everything ;-)

I was seven years old and remember it exactly. The race to the moon was such a huge national effort - something that we've never seen matched since then.

Having grown up with Captain Midnight and Buck Rogers I was in awe that we actually did it, we landed on an extraterrestrial body. Just a couple of years later I was working on the camera/transmitter that flew on Apollo 15, the start of a 40 year career in aerospace.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Still the greatest achievement of mankind. Period.

Yes, I remember. And subsequent landings; teachers drew the blinds and wheeled in TVs into the classrooms ... later watching at home when re-entry occurred, a real nail-biter- even for a child.

Waiting and waiting for those three parachutes ...

AA

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My Dad worked on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs so we followed the moon shots even more closely than most folks. It truly was a magnificent achievement, and a unifying event during a very divisive period in our history. When you think about the level of technology at our disposal, it is even more impressive. Everything that could have gone wrong, should have gone wrong, but it didn't. There were failures and near failures and comebacks from the brink of disaster. The entire space program in the U.S. started as a big catch-up race with the Russians. Then next thing you know, we succeeded, and repeated, threepeated, fourpeated... leaving no doubt in anyone's mind who's ya daddy. The world cheered us on, and shared our jubilation, having made Kennedy's dream their own. It was a great time to be an American. It was a great time to be alive.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I remember that it seemed like everything tried to have a space like feel about it. I need to dig up a picture of me in my walker, which was made to look like a space capsule.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was seven years old and remember it exactly. The race to the moon was such a huge national effort - something that we've never seen matched since then.

Yep. Today it takes a huge national effort to fill a pothole.

strop

Now half as wise
Most of us have cell phones with more data capability than the space capsule of that day.

Top Bottom