What's new

47 years ago tonight

Remember it well. I Watched it on a Black and White console. A forgotten achievment by this country that was done with the computing power of a slide rule.

They say it cost over 25 billion dollars back in 1973, but I can imagine the cost was even greater than that. I recall reading that is something like 210 billion dollars in today's money. Many people would consider that a huge waste of money, but I sure don't.

I wasn't alive, but I sure would have liked to have been part of the process if I was.

I remember the crowds hanging around the TVs in the U of AZ Student Union watching this event... quite astonishing.

Wow that was "Old Main" at the time I think. I was 5 and remember my dad explaining it and so proud, after that I remember watching all the other Apollo missions and have been fortunate to meet quite a few of the astronauts, and it started my excessive AD on Apollo memorabilia and Omega watches.

Dave,

Nope.. Old Main was the 2 story wooden building with the fountain in front that was featured in the "Nerds" movies.. and where I attended ROTC Classes... The Student Union was (and still is) behind Old Main as you came in from the front gate. According to the current map on the campus, the Bookstore and the Union are still in the same places... My English and French classes were in the the Mod Lang and Psych buildings...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow that was "Old Main" at the time I think. I was 5 and remember my dad explaining it and so proud, after that I remember watching all the other Apollo missions and have been fortunate to meet quite a few of the astronauts, and it started my excessive AD on Apollo memorabilia and Omega watches.

I met Charlie Duke about 7 years ago. He is a heck of a guy.

Attachments

• $duke.jpg
    $duke.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 42
I forgot who said it but it was along the lines of "Man's achievement knows no limit when he sets his mind to it. In a span of 60 years, we went from barely getting airborne at Kitty Hawk to landing a man on the moon". Mindblowing.

I was 12 and at summer camp. We had a lake, and a boat, and a bunch of 11 to 13 year-olds with their teenage counselors who were there for the week. Swimming, water skiing? Nope - glued to the little B&W TV with rabbit ears. I remember it so well.

I met Charlie Duke about 7 years ago. He is a heck of a guy.

Apollo 15
Alan Bean, Dick Gordon ( Live in Tucson and is my Client ) and author Andrew Chaiken

proxy.php

Apollo 17 Gene Cernan ( obviously he preferred to hold my wife's hand LOL

proxy.php

Thanks Owen for making me dig these out. Good memories

I forgot who said it but it was along the lines of "Man's achievement knows no limit when he sets his mind to it. In a span of 60 years, we went from barely getting airborne at Kitty Hawk to landing a man on the moon". Mindblowing.

The depressing part is that we went from a dream and concept to landing on the moon in roughly 8 years and based on that level of ingenuity and drive we should have explored all reaches of the Solar system and have landed men on Mars by now. Or as Buzz Aldrin puts it "Get your Butt (paraphrased) to Mars. We need to get the Space manned exploration program back in full tilt mode in my opinion.

Speaking of Space the Perseid meteor shower is supposed to be the best ever.

Top Bottom