What's new

Help with European Creams and Soaps

Hi BB

I've been wet shaving for a couple of months now (coming up on my first year), and I'm so in love with it.

I've been upgrading my gear (Pils DE & Plisson synthetic). And also trying out some soaps and creams.
Mike's, Mystic River, Stirling, D.R. Harris, Muhle Organic, Castle Forbes and alot of samples.

My clear favourite is the Castle Forbes Lime.
I would say that I'm normally a soap man, but the ease of lathering of a cream like CF is ridiculous. The scent is amazing, and most important the performance is the best I've ever tried.

So now its time to try some new stuff and I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

So far I've been using alot of US artisan products, so now I want to try out some european.
I have a list right now with Martin de Candre, Le Pere Lucien, Acqua Di Parma.
My first choice would be ADP. Since my succes with CF, I'm very excited to try some more creams,
and ADP has a reputation for being one of "continental" Europes top performers.
Anyone tried both? How do they stack up (performance wise)?

My problem in choosing is this.

I dont really like my gear too "perfumy".
I like simple scents. Limey, woodsy, sweet like (Almond or candy), but not too complex.
I have Mike's Barbershop and I love the scent, but I'm not looking for anything more complex.
F.ex. I tried the Varesino Saponificio anniversary edition. The performance was great, but the scent was just too much.
Not bad, just too intense, like perfume.

So after this I'm a little hesitant to try out the french soaps, but maybe I'm wrong.
What do you guys suggest?
European Soap or Cream, any suggestions are wellcome.

And thanks alot for reading my (yet again) long post :)

Admin; I posted this in both the Soap and Cream section. Please move/delete this if I posted the wrong place.

P.S. Nobody say Klar! (I tried it and love'd it) smooth and scent is just up my alley. Just want to try something else, before I give myself over to Klar completely.

Meissner Tremonia. Comes as soap or paste. Samples of all scents available at Straight Razor Design. I prefer the Pots of Milk which is scent free. I have tried the MdC, AdP, etc but always come back to MT. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Jovan.

What do you think about the MT scents?
I'm particularly interested in the Rasoul Clay.

Why do you prefer MT over f.ex. AdP or MdC?
Can't be because of the scent, since you use unscented...

I'm a huge fan of MT shaving pastes (haven't tried the soaps). I have Exotic Elemi, Woody Almond and Strong 'n Scottish. Given your preferences, you may like Woody Almond (which I enjoyed this morning). I haven't tried CF Lime, but I really enjoy my CF Lavendar. I also enjoy my MdC Fougere, but I'm not sure it's better by an appreciable margin than the MT pastes.

I've got MT soap in Indian Flavour, and its a great soap that I don't really use enough. Have you considered some Artisan makers as well? Phoenix and Beau and OSP(Obsessive Soap Perfectionist) are UK Artisans. I have Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale and the performance is excellent. Think heavy citrus with cedar lurking in the background for scent. I will be giving OSP a try soon, but that stood out to me more because you mentioned simpler scents. OSP is one of the soaps where you can tell what the scent is by reading the name, instead of having to look up scent profiles. Orange and patchouli, bay rum, lavender, etc. I've read up on it, and he only uses natural ingredients as well, if that matters to you.

Welcome, Sir Tyson! Sounds like you're ready to load up with a variety of samples! I believe several vendors still offer a range. This will give you a couple fun months of experimentations!

Top Bottom